Notifications
Clear all

Legal Issues!

35 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Having said that, what i think about the issue is that there is a huge demand for things like online tab. If the publishers were smart they would meet that demand and charge a reasonable price for a song. swhat Music Notes charges is way too much and I don't know of any other way to get online tab except the copyright violation way.

+1

Some enterprising entrepreneur will eventually adopt the iTunes model, $1 per download. That would be very reasonable and I'd buy dozens of authorized tabs, instead of the very rare one-off that I can't get elsewhere.

Thankfully, some of the current distributors give you a one-page preview, so you can see if it's in a format that suits your needs before buying. Way too many are simple notations of the vocal line with the chords listed above. Not useful to those who prefer complete tablature.

And while it's probably true we'd be better off learning songs by ear, most of us casual players don't want to take the time - after all, that's work. When something that should be fun is viewed as work, the appeal diminishes.

We are tablature junkies, and we want our fix NOW.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@bford)
Reputable Member

People keep talking about compensating the artists.

I know I have thought that it was the artists that were/are the driving force behind most of the legal action since Lars took the stand against Napster for music d/l. I didn't fully understand ALL who have their hands in the pot. Thanks for making me aware of that.

Treat others how you would like to be treated.

ReplyQuote
(@jimh2)
Estimable Member

People keep talking about compensating the artists.

I know I have thought that it was the artists that were/are the driving force behind most of the legal action since Lars took the stand against Napster for music d/l. I didn't fully understand ALL who have their hands in the pot. Thanks for making me aware of that.

Me too!

Music is the universal language, love is the key.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

My first guitar teacher charged $60 a lesson and was doing something that I came to believe was clearly copyright violation. I quit. What this person would do was to give you a written copy of the song in a fakebook type of format. (the words with the chords noted above.) Then she gave you a CD with the song on it. I never discussed the copyright issue with her so I don't know what she thought but I'm sure she had some sort of justification, like she wasn't teaching the song only the chords and chord changes, but to my mind it was copyright violation and at $60 a lesson I don't think she had any business doing that.

If it's her transcription and she paid for the song, I don't think it's a violation.

I use Rhapsody, which allows me to burn a song for $.89 a tune or something like that. If a student wants to learn a particular song, I'll burn two copies, give one to him and keep one so we are working from the same recording, then we'll transcribe it together.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

My first guitar teacher charged $60 a lesson and was doing something that I came to believe was clearly copyright violation. I quit. What this person would do was to give you a written copy of the song in a fakebook type of format. (the words with the chords noted above.) Then she gave you a CD with the song on it. I never discussed the copyright issue with her so I don't know what she thought but I'm sure she had some sort of justification, like she wasn't teaching the song only the chords and chord changes, but to my mind it was copyright violation and at $60 a lesson I don't think she had any business doing that.

If it's her transcription and she paid for the song, I don't think it's a violation.

I use Rhapsody, which allows me to burn a song for $.89 a tune or something like that. If a student wants to learn a particular song, I'll burn two copies, give one to him and keep one so we are working from the same recording, then we'll transcribe it together.
i think that burnig CDs is not allowed. she wasn't using Rhapsody or Itunes. She had her own CD collection that she burned from. and she had many students, too.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3