Les Is More

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Great read: about Les Paul

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Saw Les at the Iridium Club in NYC for his 92nd birthday show earlier this year. He's been doing that gig every Monday for a very long time now. If in the city, it's a guitarist/musician's must-see -- not really for Les' playing, as that's become secondary these days, but more to take in the atmosphere and guest talent who show up to play along. His stage band, a "young" jazz guitarist probably in his 60's and a rather hot upright bass player, are talented and pretty funny as well.

I went to high school in Waukesha. Funny thing is I don't recall anyone ever mentioning that it was LP's original home town, despite the fact that we all were familiar with the guitar.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

There was a great PBS documentary on LP earlier this year. I think it was called Chasing the Sound (?).
What an engaging guy! If it gets rebroadcast check it out.
There was a bunch of footage of his weekly gig at Iridium and it looked and sounded like a great night on the town...
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Oh Les Paul stinks! ............. NOT :P He is an amazing man who has accomplished amazing things in his lifetime. I have always admired him for both his musicianship and his ingenuity.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I went to high school in Waukesha. Funny thing is I don't recall anyone ever mentioning that it was LP's original home town, despite the fact that we all were familiar with the guitar.

Waukesha isn't too far from me. I was there a couple of years ago to play a gig, and as you come into town on the main highway there's a sign that reads "Birthplace of Les Paul". 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezw_4YTIa8M
:) :) :)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

boxboy wrote:
There was a great PBS documentary on LP earlier this year. I think it was called Chasing the Sound (?).

I also saw that documentary, "Les Paul: Chasing Sound." It was excellent! He seems like a very down to earth guy for someone who is such a legend. It's available to rent (Netflix has it, at least) or to buy (I know Amazon has it). I highly recommend it to anyone who loves music, guitarist or not. (P.S. Another good one is about the late producer/engineer Tom Dowd, called "Tom Dowd and the Language of Music.")

:D

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote