Clear all

Les Paul Studio

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@danabis)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

hey guys, i'm looking into buying a les paul and i'm leaning towards the studio. i've read a lot of good things about them, but i just wanted to see if any of you own one and what your thoughts are. thanks a lot. have a great day

(@gary58)
Trusted Member

I bought a Gibson Les Paul Standard last year and it is perfect, the studio is nice, and good value for money, but has a flat top, not carved and is quite basic in it's finish. If you look on the Gibson website, you will see a listing of their pickups, and what models use which ones, the sounds are quite different, and Gibson do change them sometimes, so you really need to play the studio, classic and standard to see (hear) which you prefer. Mine has burstbucker pro's, which I really like, but they used to have different ones until a few years ago, and I believe they used P90's (single coil) originally.

Hope this is of some interest.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I own a Les Paul Standard as well, an Epiphone in this case. I'm very happy with it.

I agree with Gary, you need to play all the Les Paul to decide which you prefer. The LPs are guitars with very good sound but you must consider also the weight, for example.

ReplyQuote
(@harleyy)

I Bought a Gibson LP (studio)....IM NEW AT GUITAR SO THE SALEMAN JUST SMOKED THAT GUITAR WITH SOME BLUES RIFFS>>SO I GOT A GOOD IDEA OF ITS POTENTIAL>>>dang cant wait for me to play half that good!

ReplyQuote
(@danabis)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

hey guys thanks for the replys. i will go and play all three. i was wondering if anyone had added a bigsby tail piece to their les paul? that is something that i would really like to do if i buy one. thanks again

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Check this this thread out.

Warning: drool inducing content.

No Bigsby but a beautiful instrument.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

I was actually considering a Studio Les Paul at one time.
Gibson was not making a current version at that time, so I would've had to get an older used model.
From what I can remember of my research - The older 1st generation 80's studios came with ebony boards.
They DID have a carved arch top then.
And I can remember that some actually had neck binding and a painted on 'pinstipe' around the body (didn't look as bad as it sounds) (I believe those were very early years - around 83 or 84)
They had dot necks back then.
I don't remember the pup specs.

The new ones have rosewood boards w/trapezoid inlays, and pups that are based on the 50's PAF humbuckers.
(The Alpine White and Vintage White still come with ebony boards)

I'm not sure what the new ones cost - the older ones should be less than a grand.

All in all, I think they are nice guitars for the money. (Actually, I think that a Gibson Les Paul Standard should only cost what they're asking for the studio :lol: )

Thought I'd throw out the older model for you to consider :)

Ken

EDIT - About the Bigsby (good choice by the way) - I've never seen one that fit into the holes for a tune-o-matic/stop bar.
So if you get one with a trasparent color, swapping to a Bigsby would pose a problem.
With a solid color, it could be more easily hidden.

I think that the ES-335 that was used in "Back To the Future" was originally a stop tail piece guitar that had a Bigsby added to it for a more vintage look. (If you wanna see what that mod would look like)

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@danabis)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks Chuckster for that link. i'm finding it hard to pull away from the computer screen to study for exams when i come across stuff like that! and Citi i'll look into the older models if i come across any. i've looked into adding the bigsby and most people agree with you that there would be some holes, but they are not all that visible with a solid colour. i forgot about that guitar in back to the future, but i do remember really liking it when i was a kid and thinking that he was so cool when he was playing it!

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

thanks Chuckster for that link. i'm finding it hard to pull away from the computer screen to study for exams when i come across stuff like that!

Sorry. Erm... GET BACK TO WORK!!! :twisted: :wink: :lol:

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@gary58)
Trusted Member

There are a few Epiphones which are very similar to Les Paul's in style and have a Bigsby vibrato, look on the Epiphone website.

ReplyQuote