Clear all

les paul

12 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

well, i am ashamed to say i had never, before today, seen or heard this man play - it occurred to me i should.

this post isnt really a question, just an observation, and a very useful one for me at least.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByGsHTlKmWk
in this clip, he speed picks, sweeps, hybrid picks, with all the clean technique and speed of our current "shredders", but i can sit and RELAX to what he is playing, he doesnt over do it,it isnt speed for speeds sake, he actually makes it add to the music and it is fantastic melodic playing at the highest standard.

in my mind i had "potholed" players into groups, those who play with feel, and those who "shred". this man has show me you can incorporate all the speed and fancy techniques you want and still make what i consider to be music.

i am not in anyway being disrespectful to our current shredders, and my opinion shouldnt mean much to anybody else anyway, but this video was a real eye opener for me personally in relation to what i want to try and achieve. Oh, it also has a guest appearance from chet atkins. not a bad watch at all!!

but surely, we could all play that well if we had gear like his??? :lol: :lol:

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

(@rr191)
Trusted Member

What's amazing about Les Paul is that not only is he one of the people responsible for the electric guitar as we know it today, but he has mastered it in ways no one had ever done before. And this was backed in the late 40's and 50's. He still plays guitar at the age of 93.

-- Rob

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I played a LesPaul trio cd at work yesterday. and you are right, he has incredible technique.
Les Paul is an amazing person. he helped created a classic guitar with Gibson, he came up with multi tracking in the recording studio to just name a few things he has accomplished.

Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass, Tal Tjader (sp?) are also great guitar players. but for me, Mr Paul is tops.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@jimatwell)
Eminent Member

He's amazing. At age 93 he still does two shows every Monday night at a club in NYC. I was lucky enough to see him there a couple of times - a must see event if you're ever in NYC (Iridium jazz club). Tells some good stories, plays some great guitar, always has a special guest.

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

i would really like to listen to some more of his work. what would his "signature album" be??? or if he doesnt have one, what would his best work be in your opinions, and ill try to track it down?

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."

ReplyQuote
(@spiritinthesky)
Eminent Member

My dad got me into Les Paul, he was and still is an amazing player.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

He's amazing. At age 93 he still does two shows every Monday night at a club in NYC. I was lucky enough to see him there a couple of times - a must see event if you're ever in NYC (Iridium jazz club). Tells some good stories, plays some great guitar, always has a special guest.

you forgot to mention his stand-up bass player! :wink: :wink:

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

After a couple of "the video was removed due to terms of use violations" I finally found it. It is a commercial but its is amazing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8O5wZAd2z4

(Do you mean Cal Tjader? I think he was vibraphonist.)

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Les Paul is amazing. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

but surely, we could all play that well if we had gear like his???

Ummmm, dunno about that - maybe gear like his, talent like his, dedication like his....it's not just the gear you've got, it's what you do with it!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

absolutely. i hope I didnt come across serious when i made that comment - it really was tongue in cheek :D

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

I've got two Les Paul and Mary Ford records (The Hit Makers and The World Is Still For The Sunrise)that I listen to. The couple I bought the records from seemed shocked that I wanted them. Don't know why, but they were. Les Paul really is amazing.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote