Notifications
Clear all

lets see wht the members think

38 Posts
27 Users
0 Likes
(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

Knopfler is the lead guitarist for Dire Straits. also did some wonderful things with Chet Atkins. Knopfler is a really talented player on my own opinion
no McLaughlin or Al DiMeola either..I voted for Jimmy PAge. although it was tough with Knopfler on the list also

Believe it or not I don't even know who Mark Knopfler is :shock:

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

If i had to vote i'd go with james but that list has a bunch of guys diff from each other, can't compare them 2 much.

one thing i know is this: People really need to get over Cobain as a great guitarist the guy can't hold a candle to the cats in that list.

What About Joe Satriani, Zakk Wylde??

Why do people list VAI ahead of satriani ?? confuses me :?

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I have a list of at least 50 guitarists that are better than any on that list.

ReplyQuote
(@mordeth)
Estimable Member

ah, polls, how i do love them - the contraversy, the rows, the pointlessness :)

anyway, from your list:
jimmy page - firstly for his playing in Led Zepplin, writing some of the best riffs ever, inspiring generations of players and gifting Stairway to Heaven to the world
secondly for all his session work in britian at the time...a huge percent of rock records produced at that time featured page on guitar.
...plus he did some really cool blues stuff as well - in the yardbirds i think.

coupla other things - cobain as a guitarist = rubbish, cobain as a songwriter = awesome...whats make a great guitarist - technical ability, or the ability to write great music...depends on your definiton.

finally, satriani is a much better player than steve vai imo, so much more emotive in his playing

This is my signature. Fear it.

ReplyQuote
(@cabreraluvr7)
Estimable Member

I know he's not a classic and all that jazz but Ryan Cabrera is one heck of a guitarist. When I went to his concert he blowed my brains out tryin to keep up with what he was playing. Then he played something not even on his cd but it was awesome! check him out sometime! http://ryancabrera.com/

ReplyQuote
 hh83
(@hh83)
Trusted Member

A far more meaningful question: To which guitarist on this list do you prefer to listen? <list>. This gets around the problems of defining "best" and omissions in listing.
or "who on this list do you think has better technique?"

when you ask "who is the best guitar player?"
what do you mean by "best guitar player" ?
technique? "feel"? musicianship?

if a guy plays scales all day for 30 years, hes a kickass guitarplayer, but could maybe be easily stumped in other departments.

just a rant. feel free to flame or ignore;)

Never call a shovel "an ingenious hole-digging instrument"

ReplyQuote
(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

then there are guys like Neil Young. not the best player in the world by any means but he is a brilliant songwriter and his guitar definatly has it's own voice. i can listen to Neil Young all day. his playing differs on every album so there is always something fresh

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote
(@cmaracz)
Reputable Member

Haha, greatest, haha. What if one could play only one style well and wasn't versatile with other styles? What if one was good but stuck to conventions, or elsewise his own commercially tested tricks? What if one played really well but wrote really poorly? Or knew very little theory but jsust rocked out, or vice versa. What is good playing anyways, at that level? Is a guitarist who really thinks things through and executs with precisions better than a guy who's playign is just plain cool and/or interesting?

Heh, I know that somebody tends to say stuff like this in threads of this sort but really it's very relevant if you think about it.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I guess it comes down to who your favorite is people, don't get all excited.

The question "What defines a good guitarist" comes up pretty often on this website. I don't think we have a real definite answer, as each indvidual person defines that for them selves. If we were in "Mother Russia" in the 70's, maybe we'd all agree on what makes a good guitarist.

For me, technical ability has nothing to do with it, nor does song writing ability. The ability to write good songs has no relation to being a good guitarist, as you can see Billy Joel, Elton John, Beehtoven (excuse the spelling) Mozart, (insert any other famous musician that didn't play guitar) are all known to be great song writers. They don't play guitars, (although Billy Joel can hold his own on a guitar.)

So I guess the poll should be redefined as "Who is your favorite guitar player?"

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@cabreraluvr7)
Estimable Member

hey taso I love how you put that. It's really smart and I agree.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I think we all know who I voted for.

Kurt Cobain!!! :lol:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

BTW you spelled Jimi Hendrix like Jimmy Hendrix. :lol: Although that would be one awesome guitarist (Jimmy Hendrix, or Jimi Page...) :)

+1 on the Neil Young thing. And I'll never have a favorite guitarist, because there is no such thing as the "Best Sounding Guitarist". Period.

But right now I'm really liking the sound of Duane Allman.(Greatest Lead Slide Player in the past 30 years IMO)

I voted for David Gilmour though. His work is incredible on all the Floyd records IMO...

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I know he's not a classic and all that jazz but Ryan Cabrera is one heck of a guitarist. When I went to his concert he blowed my brains out tryin to keep up with what he was playing. Then he played something not even on his cd but it was awesome! check him out sometime! http://ryancabrera.com/

Isn't that the dude from American idol? :roll:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I have a list of at least 50 guitarists that are better than any on that list.

Amen to that Nick. Heck, they don't even list the best guitarist from the Yardbirds . . .

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@cabreraluvr7)
Estimable Member

Isn't that the dude from American idol? :roll:

LOL! no. i do think there was a ryan guy on one of them. idk though I only watched afew of them. No Ryan really got his start on the ashlee simpson show. Idk if you ever watched that but he was on there and her dad Joe Simpson is his manager. So no he wasn't anywhere near american idol. He got his fame the right way. :D

Btw did u click on the link. If you didnt thats him in my avator or what ever you call it. :D

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3