Clear all

Line 6 spider III

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I am thinking about geting a Line 6 spider III 75 watt combo and I was wanting to know if anybody has any experience with one of these in a home setting.
Thanks in advance.

(@big-lar)
Estimable Member

I love mine. I use it as my home/practice amp. Plenty powerful (almost too powerful), and I love the song-based presets.

It isn't a tube amp, so I'm sure most people will tell you not to buy it for that reason alone, but it sounds great to me.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I don't with that specific one. I did have a Line 6 Spider II 100W for a while. It was neat, but grew old. Nothing wrong with it really, but I found out soon afterwards that I was really drawn to the Fender clean tones. I traded it for my MIM Tele.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Not trying to be a party-pooper but I'm not into the spider series much. It just doesnt amplify the sound properly, IMHO. If you dial in a bluesy sound on the Vox AD you can get from clean to a warm overdriven sound with your picking attack, the Spider is much more 'plastic' in this way. Just my taste.

Why are you looking specifically at that one?

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I'm looking at this amp becuase it has built in fx and its pretty cheap.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

What style of music do you play, do you play it strictly at home? What's your budget?

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I was just on the Line 6 site giving it a listen & looksee. Curious more than anything. The thing that impresses me is the way they organized the presets into artists and songs. Seems user friendly. My Spider II came with neither, of course.

I also gave some of the samples a listen. I was impressed with some and un-impressed with others. I was very surprised to hear the Folsom Prison Blues setting actually sound good. Some of the otherones though, like Hotel California, were just way too much. Many company's presets like this tend to go overboard with their interpretation of tones and effects.

I had the same budget, but went a totally different route. I got the Fender Super Champ XD. Less bells and whistles, but very nice clean tone and most of the 16 voicings are actually usable. BUT, that's just me.

I do also own a Boss GT-10 that's hooked up to my lone remaining solid-state amp. Anything you've ever heard from me on hear hear went through that set up. Sounds good enough. If David Hodge were to knock at the door and insist on listening to my progress on Girl From Ipanema, I'd do the tube amps. Sorry, it's just a preference. Old ears, maybe. I would trust Ignar's ears as being more experienced and trained than mine.

Clau, from the beginners video thread, has coaxed some pretty good tones from her Vox, btw. I've heard many good things about them, just never had one or played one.

Oh, and the Labor Day sales are coming up. I normally get a 15% off coupon from Sam Ash right before a holiday, for the holiday. Yours if you want it. I ain't getting nuttin.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@enosmac1972)
Eminent Member

I have the 15Watt version of the Spider III as a practice amp. Sounds very good, and I've had no problems with it.

Word of advice, go try one out and if you like it, get it. Don't worry about "name brands" or what others think. I liked mine so much I went and got Line 6's Toneport UX1 for the computer.

Agile AL-3100 Cherry Sunburst Slim Neck (2008)
Dean Vendetta XM (2008)
Line 6 Spider III 15W
Line 6 TonePort UX1
Marshall MS-2 5W

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

What style of music do you play, do you play it strictly at home? What's your budget?
I play Country,Southern rock and some blues.
I would like to get in a band some time but I'm not sure if that is going to happen any time soon.
About $500.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

For $500 you can get a great multi-FX processor (for all those effects) and a pretty good tube amp. Just a suggestion, something to think about. I was "all-in" on the amps with the effects built-in, but then I played a few tube (and hybrid) amps and found the overall sound much better.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

For $500 you can get a great multi-FX processor (for all those effects) and a pretty good tube amp. Just a suggestion, something to think about. I was "all-in" on the amps with the effects built-in, but then I played a few tube (and hybrid) amps and found the overall sound much better.

Sounds like a good idea and if I get the multi-FX processor first I can use it with my current amp.

I dont have any money saved at all for this yet but I am going to upgrade some time in the near future.

ReplyQuote