Waylon Jennings
Dickie Betts
Willie Nelson
Kris Kristofferson.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

Good list, and thanks for the opportunity to write one of my own. Also a good chance to point out the true fact that many of my most important musical influences weren't necessarily all that famous.

In rough alphabetical order only. All important:

BB King
- for showing that a simple run of notes can be turned into an inspirational masterpiece by applying the right elements of touch and timing.

Bach J.S.
- for his ability to match precision and technical cleverness with amazing beauty.

Barnabus Rox
- for having the admirable courage to post stuff that he knew was pretty much crap, publicly admit as much, and then letting the world watch and help as he slowly, and with great effort, successfully clawed his way slowly towards getting better and better each week.

Beethoven L.
- for sheer awesome power and emotional impact.

Blueline
- for giving me great encouragement by putting a very rough song of mine on his ipod. Ditto to CitizenNoir and all at the Sunday Songwriters for being kind enough to show supportive interest when I posted there.

Bob Dylan
- for some of the best and worst lyrics I ever read, for writing songs with chords that I could play, and for providing the soundtrack to my youth.

David Hodge
-for unselfishly demonstrating, day after day, everything that is good about studying and sharing music.

Dogbite
– for posting a picture of a tantalizing varied collection of instruments that I immediately wanted, and helping kickstart an interest in collecting and attempting to play a range of things (my owned objects list now includes guitars, bass, keyboards, clarinet, sax, mandolin, banjo, and drums – but the required talent and skill are still in the mail….. ). Thanks also to TwistedLefty, TRGuitar, Nick, Musica23, and many others for similar inspiration.

Every member at Guitarnoise who makes it work
– individual posters and moderators alike. Especially those who have been either bored or annoyed by my posts, yet still read them and responded.

Mozart. W.
- for showing that classical music isn't all dull and weighty and that ‘classical' genius and joyfulness are not incompatible.

Noteboat
- for patiently, and in amazing depth, so generously providing theory knowledge and insights. Thanks in this department also go to Fretsource, Kingpatzer, David H and everybody else here who chips in.

Pianists
- dozens of them, from the likes of Fats Waller, Professor Longhair, Winifred Atwell, Ray Charles and Jerry Lee Lewis through to Horowitz and Gould.

Puccini G.
- for writing music that can still make the listener cry, with either sadness or joy so many years after it was written.

Roger McG
- for inviting me to join him in playing every week at his music shop, for showing me how to make it work, and for not only making great suggestions but listening to mine too....

Smokindog, Arjen and Vic Lewis
- for showing me that a single person with a dash of determination can assemble a great piece of music, track by track, line by line, note by note.

Tom Waits
- for his matchless talents as a lyric writer, musician and all round stylist.

Wes Inman
- for having the knack of putting the business of playing in a band into perspective and sharing his many years of experience in an easily readable way. Also for providing me with the single most useful musical tip that I ever read, which was about the importance of timing in music.

Vic Lewis
- for showing me that you shouldn't wait until you're a theory guru or a rock god before getting out there and getting stuck into it. And for a heap of other insights and enthusiasms.

Lastly, a small clap for myself
- for finally getting off my arse when I was 58, and starting to put some effort into learning how to make music instead of just listening to it.

Cheers,

Chris

PS If you'd like to see a video that sums up why I want to learn to play, watch this:

A Bunch of Mates Enjoying Themselves

Collectively, a swag of talent on display there that's worth - literally - billions of dollars over the years. But looking like they're still fired by the same spark that lights up Vic at the pub, me and my friends at our weekly gig, and anybody else who ever wanted to roar it out.....

:mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Early days:
Maury Muehleisen (Jim Croce's guitarist)
George Harrison
Ritchie Blackmore
Paul Simon
Louis Armstrong
Randy Bachman
Santana

later on:
Mark Knopfler
Jeff Beck
Adrian Belew
Wes Montgomery
Billy Gibbons
Al Dimeola
John McLaughlin
Leo Kottke
Jaco
Dwayne Allman
Amos Garrett

More recently:
Mark Knopfler
Jeff Beck
Lyle Lovett
John Hiatt
Sonny Landreth
Junior Brown

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

Kris Kristofferson.Isn't he an actor?
Yes he was an actor for a short time but is mostly a Singer/Song writer.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Kris Kristofferson.Isn't he an actor?
Yes he was an actor for a short time but is mostly a Singer/Song writer.
Listening to the Highwaymen, I'm not so sure about the "singer" :D but, nonetheless, he did co-write "Me and Bobby McGee", amongst other things.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

In no particular order (because i'm to lazy to put them in one)

Nirvana
Slash
Dylan
Jimmy Page
Everyone on here who replies to my stupid questions and makes me think i might be able to play something good one day
The Kooks- All of them lived near me, 2 went to my school and now they are famous

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

My influences? Every piece of music I've ever heard - whether good bad or indifferent.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I am going to assume you want a list of strictly Guitar related influences otherwise this list would be 10X longer and mean nothing to 99% of the people who would bother to read it.

top on my list right now is Paul"GuitarNoise"Hackett, followed closely by David Hodge, Nick and all the Mods here at GN

next would be a list of every person over the age of 40 who has posted here at GN for inspiring me to believe that i too can do it.
next would be every person under the age of 40, well because you are all youngsters and youth invigorates the oldsters with fresh ideas (most of the time)
then i would list all the guitarists that inspired me as i was growing up and developing a love for guitar
here are a bit less then half of them in no particular order.
Tommy Emmanuel
Frank Zappa
Eric Clapton
Duane Allman
Billy Gibbons
Chet Atkins
Rory Gallagher
Robin Trower
Donald"Buck Dharma"Roeser
Peter Frampton
Angus Young
Joe Walsh
Steven Stills
Neil Young
Martin Barre
Jimmy Page
Jeff Beck
Albert Lee
Ritchie Blackmore
David Gilmoure
Robbie Robertson
Alex Lifeson
B.B. King
Ted Nugent
Steve Howe
Jerry Garcia
Carlos Santana
George Harrison
Jimi Hendrix
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Tony Iommi
Tom Schultz

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Ok post got screwed up again.

I'm kinda with Vic anything and everything but in reality what do you mean by influenced?

I can't think of any music or artist that has influenced me in any way shape or form. I may be the only one that thinks that way but that's me.

Maybe if I made it a life ambition to really unravel some artists music at every level, but I don't have any desire to do something like that.

If I play some of their songs does that mean they have influenced me? Currently we play a bunch of songs from nay different artists, Santana, Weezer, RHCP, Black Sabbath, Kenny Wayne Shepard, Jeff Beck, Cream, the Beatles etc., but I couldn't say any of them influence me in any way, I just play their songs most of which don't appeal to me but I play with other people that like them so I play them, otherwise I'd be playing along to CD's in my room.

So for all of the people that have listed artists can someone tell me how that artist actually influenced you? Or are you confusing influence with "I like this artist alot and like their music therefore they must have had an influence on me"?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Derek,

OK so seasick Dave makes you feel good inside..so he illicits an emotion.. how has that influenced you? Same with Bonnie Raitt you like her music and it again does something to you emotionally but to me that's different than influence.

Maybe if you said because of Bonnie Raitt you dyed your hair red then I might agree that she had an influence in your decision but liking something and that thing having an influence on you are two very distinct things to me.

Actually in retrospect I'm not totally correct in regards to the blues thing yes I guess listening to certain artists may have influenced yo u to listen to other blues artists, that makes sense. I stand corrected.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'm kinda with Vic anything and everything but in reality what do you mean by influenced?

I took it to mean, from my point of view, everything I've ever heard has influenced my perception of music in some shape or form, especially in my writing. Sometimes, something I've written will remind me of a certain band or style - but what I'm getting at, I've heard a lot of music over the past 40-odd years, for the sublime to the mediocre. Somewhere in my head there's a filter (default setting - Classic Rock) that weeds out music I don't like and lets through music I do. Then somewhere along the line I've made a decision, probably subconscious, about what I want to play - so the music I like has influenced me in that I want to play that way, and the music I don't like has influenced me because I don't way to play that way.

We're all influenced - sometimes consciously, sometimes not - by what we see and hear all around us every day.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Vic,

Your right about that we are all influenced. But you would never know if you were being influenced subconciously would you? If you did then it would be concious so you are making an assumption about subconcious influence which I would tend to agree with I guess.

About the filter in your head thing, I'm not sure that's an influence...let's just say you heard the Beatles along time ago and you liked them, from your post I get that because of you liking the Beatles you were somehow influenced to like certain other bands because if it. But how do you know that if you had never heard the Beatles you wouldn't like those others anyway? My opinion is that you like them regardless of whether or not you heard the Beatles because that type of music hits home with you.

Now if you said when you first saw the Beatles you went out and cut your hair in that style and dressed like a 60's Mod then I would say that was an influence.

ReplyQuote
(@ness-k)
Estimable Member

1.Dave Grohl
2. Kurt Cobain
3.Beck
4. Jimmy Page
5. Ben Gibbard
6.Jimi Hendrix

"The Beauty of Music is my Sanity. Without it, I would simply lose my gravity, and blow away with the breeze." - Ness K(Aka Matt Harris)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

So for all of the people that have listed artists can someone tell me how that artist actually influenced you? Or are you confusing influence with "I like this artist alot and like their music therefore they must have had an influence on me"?
Good point Chris.

I think that most people probably just think "I like this person's music a lot" but couldn't really tell you in any detail how they had been influenced by them - other than a fairly rough "I'd like to play like their kind of music". But maybe that's enough of an influence?

I tried to pick people who I thought did have a specific influence on me, in as much as I had some sort of "AHA!" moment that gave me a particular insight or slant on something musical that did lead to an increase in understanding, or a change in something that I did. For instance, I like BB King, but I don't have heaps of his CDs. I count him as an 'influence' rather than somebody that I just like, because I studied some Youtube videos to see what he was doing. And from a 'this note to this note, to that note' point of view he didn't seem to be doing anything that looked especially flashy or complicated but his touch and timing was just fantastic. This did influence me directly to spend more time learning how to wring expressiveness out of relatively simple runs of notes.

In a similar vein, I listed Wes and Vic as influences because things that they said and did made a genuine difference to that fact that I now play regularly in a band. That has made an enormous impact on my musical life. I like Van Morrison, and Mark Knoffler too (about 10 of their CDs each). So their music has seeped into my general appreciation of music (the sort of overall influence that Vic described) but I can't think of any way in which they have really influenced me in any direct way. But the guy who formed the band I play in has had many influences on all manner of aspects relating to what I play and how I play it. Likewise, the dead classical dudes I listed. That wasn't just for show. I've been listening to classical music for over 50 years, and even had a shop selling that style of music for a while, so those guys (and many more of them) did have a direct influence by having certain abilities which made me think "now how the hell are they doing THAT!!", and then try and learn from what I found. :D

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2