Notifications
Clear all

Look what came in my patio door!

23 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Of course, my sister never allowed me to forget the time I *killed* her turtle. :oops:

Margaret

You could have given him a new career in music.... 8)

In some parts of the world they make the body or resonator part of an instrument from tortoise shells.

Scroll down to "Gunibri" to see a musical use for expired tortoises...

Atlas of Plucked Instruments - Africa

A great site with some excellent pics of instruments from around the world.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Shouldn't Clapton have a Gunibri in his collection somewhere? He was known as Slowhand.... (Slow - Tortoise - it's a joke....!)

I don't like the idea of using a dead animal as the base for a musical instrument - but that's one of those cultural differences we have to learn to put up with. As long as the Tortoises aren't killed for the express purpose of making musical instruments.....

They're pretty long-lived though, aren't they? Imagine - some little kid in the African Desert - "Dad, when are you going to make me a gunibri? YOU PROMISED!!!!

"I know, Son, I'm just waiting for this Tortoise to die - give it another 70 years or so and we're laughing! Might get a few plecs out of it too....."

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

The turtle I *murdered* out of neglect (and before I get flamed, remember, I was 4 years old!) was about the right size to make a castanet.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Awww - Margaret, you were FOUR!

Don't feel guilty - four-year-olds don't know the difference between an animal and a toy.....you were a ickle-wickle teeny-weeny tiny tot....you can NOT be held responsible!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member

"Once when my sister was at school and I was still too young for school, I took her little turtle outside to play in a mud puddle. I must've wandered off and forgotten about him, because the mud puddle dried up and the turtle baked in the hot sun. "

D'oh!

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

"Once when my sister was at school and I was still too young for school, I took her little turtle outside to play in a mud puddle. I must've wandered off and forgotten about him, because the mud puddle dried up and the turtle baked in the hot sun. "

D'oh!
Thanks, Eirraca. I had almost gotten over the guilt from this traumatic event 40+ years ago. Now it's all come back aflood. Just.... thanks..... :cry:

J/K

ROFLMAO :twisted:

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

I had a pet tortoise once, one day he just decided to leave, dug down under the frame of the pen he was living in and took off.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Li'l BowWow (I still haven't cottoned to the name "Bowser") is behind me snoozing between a guitar case and amp at the moment. This afternoon I saw Little Joe, a red eared slider about the size of a half dollar my daughter rescued from a well meaning but ignorant girl who was letting him die from neglect. The little thing's thriving now!

A week or so ago I'd gone to sleep with Animal Planet on. A show called Walking With Dinosaurs came on, one of those things where they use computer generated animation to make it look like nature video from prehistoric times. Showed an Ophthalmosaurus trying to give birth get suddenly eaten by this monstrous sea turtle over 60 feet long that they said was the largest predator that had ever lived on Earth! I was sleepy and didn't get the name. I'll have to do a bit of hunting around. It was one badass turtle, though! They had the sharks waiting to prey on the hapless Ophthalmosaurus and its coming offspring skedaddling when the monster turtle came in for the kill.
:shock:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2