Clear all

Looking for a new guitar

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@kang9011)
Topic starter  

Hi guys
Im new here and im looking for a guitar, im a super noob in guitar and want to know what guitar would last me for 2-3 years?

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN, just browse the threads in this forum and narrow it down to what you are interested in.

Most people don't buy guitars based on how long they will last. Maybe you could narrow it down a little?

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@kang9011)
Topic starter  

oh then what is a good guitar for beginners through professional skills?
something that you will never have to change even though your a nooob or a pro

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

that still does not narrow it down at all,

what kind of music are you going to want to play?
some will say start with an acoustic, others will say start with an electric,
what is your price range? there are guitars priced under $200 that will do fine to start with in both acoustic and electric.
your taste in music matters also, if electric, do you prefer the sound of Humbuckers, or single coils?
if acoustic, do you want to play classical, flamenco, rock & roll, bluegrass, or country?

as you progress your taste may change, your "ear" will evolve and the nuances of one type or make will mean more to you than when you first start.

Most will suggest getting a good teacher, he/she will be able to give advice based on their curriculum.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Hey Kang,
Welcome.
There is a great article here that talks about buying guitars.
https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/how-to-buy-a-bass-guitar/

Its hard to answer your question directly. Its like asking "WHAT CAR SHOULD I BUY". There are so many options.

It depends on two key things that you need to decide on first.

1. Budget. How much money can you afford?
There are Great starter packs for under $300.

2. Acoustic or Electric?
Again, check some of the starter packs.

For me when I started out I decided to go with an Acoustic. I didn't want to hassle with an Amp and Chords and all that. I just wanted something to learn the basics on.

My Suggestion would be to find a local music Store.. not some BIG BOX store like Guitar Center... and go in one day and ask some questions. Ask LOTS of quesitons.

Tell them your brand new and you always wanted to learn and I'm sure you will find someone happy to help out. Most folks that work at these stores are musicians and....just like the folks on this board, are always happy and eager to help out and be of assistance.....at least that's been my experience.

Why? Music is what it is. Its a wonderful thing to have in one's life and any opportunity to share, be it by playing for and with others or helping someone out with guitars, gear etc always makes for a good day/time.

Don't be shy, and if your not happy with the first store, find another one, there's usually more than one shop in your town area. :)

Good luck and let us know.
Once you've made some decisions and have questions, ask. By All means. And once you have a specific guitar in mind ask.. also there is a site called Harmony Central with all kinds of User reviews. The users here refer to HC alot for the reviews.

Happy Hunting :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote