Clear all

Looking for amp advice

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@chetzki)
Topic starter  

Hi all,

I'm ready to buy a new amplifier. Been doing a lot of research and would appreciate comments on some specific questions and any other advice. I am a hobbyist. Doubtful I would perform again, but I have in the past and I don't know where this is going. I just love to play guitar. I play Aerosmith, Led Zep, KISS, 80's hair band type music (Ratt, GnR, Motley) and really enjoy Metallica but not interested in playing anything heavier than that. I have an unmodified Gibson LP Studio and Fender Squire Strat with a humbucker at the bridge. I have a modeler and want to keep that outside the amp.

So I'm looking at relatively low power tube amps and willing to spend around a grand. This is bedroom level music. I'm apart from my neighbors enough not to be too annoying but want something small enough to get the sounds I want without being too loud. Looking for two channels and a loop for effects. Looking for that Marshall/LP sound I love so much without blowing everyone out.

1. combo or 1/2 stack? I prefer stack because of weight and flexibility and closed cabinet sound. Don't see myself moving it around a lot though. This is one of my biggest questions. What are the downsides of a combo? I've always been in love with that full stack Marshall look but of course I'm more interested in the sound. That's just what is burned in my brain watching my guitar heros!

2. I've been considering and reading reviews about Egnater 30W 1/2 stack with 12" speaker, Mesa Boogie 5-25 12" combo, Bugera V22 combo (only $350) and the new Marshall MA series coming out soon.

3. Maximizing amp for price. Does anyone know when the typical sales are? I look frequently at Musicians Friend and other sites on-line and I'm about 55 miles from a Guitar Center. I don't mind ordering on line but prefer to pick something up at GC. Should I be looking somewhere else? I just missed a 15% off sale. For this much money I really want to hit a sale.

Thank you so much in advance. I passed up on the Christmas sales to do more research and I'm ready to buy now but having a hard time making a choice.

Chetzki

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I coincidentally mentioned Marshall, when saying hi.

Naturally, due to your music. Can't wait to see the Marshall?

Play the Egnater and a Mesa, but try for the Mesa head & cab if you like.

I believe the Mesa will go higher than your price range though. There's Peavey too?

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@chetzki)
Topic starter  

Blue Jay - I caught that over there too. Thanks. If I can catch a really good sale, it will knock the Mesa down close enough to my price range. I tried out the 20W Egnater 1/2 stack, Marshall Haze and the Mesa 5-25 last week. I didn't spend much time on them but the Mesa sounded the best to me and the Haze was very unimpressive. I haven't tried a full tube Marshall yet. Looking for an amp I can live with for a long time.

Chetzki

ReplyQuote
(@chetzki)
Topic starter  

Tried out 30W Egnater with 1x12 cab, Blackstar HT-5 with it's two 10's and with the Egnater 1x12, and a Jet City 333 20W with it's cab. Used my Gibson LP Studio.

The Blackstar was too muddy and subdued - better with the Egnater cab. I decided I would have to get it up too loud to hear what I hear it do in the reviews.

The Jet City was very nice - and cheap. Very limited in what it can do - but it did it well which was a brighter crunch tone - like a clean British - hard to describe.

Bought the Egnater with the 1x12 cab. It is so versatile and I was looking for something that would be "the one" for a long time. You have to get the volume up to hear the difference in the tube mix but not too loud to get that difference at home. The bright and tight really helps my "dark and muddy" pickups. I have to clean it up to get the darker, muddy sound out of these pickups (498T and 490R) and heavy wood. The clean channel sounds very good. It's really quite beautiful. Still trying to dial in a cleaner brighter crunch. I was able to get it to sound closer to the Jet City at the store.

Hope this helps someone.
Chetzki

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

For what it's worth before Aerosmith made it big they were using Fender amps cranked to the max, they eventually moved to Marshalls

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Also, for what it's worth, consider a modelling amp....a Vox ADT30V or a Roland Cube 30X. I can make my Tele sound like a 12-string acoustic or an LP with a flick of a switch......there's an incredible range of sounds. Try one before you think "I'm going to have to start spending money on pedals," etc....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Also, for what it's worth, consider a modelling amp....a Vox ADT30V or a Roland Cube 30X

Vic

And the Cube sells for 207 $ on MF used - http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-30X-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487032...A Steal !

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

I have a modeler and want to keep that outside the amp.

Modelers work better with a neutral flat response amp instead of a regular guitar amp if you are using them for amp/cabinet modeling and not just pedal modeling. Tech 21 makes the PowerEngine specifically for just this purpose. Other possibilities are keyboard amps, powered monitor speakers, or even the already mentioned Roland Cube amp run on the clean setting (the Jazz Chorus model).

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Yes, my Tech 21 SansAmp Tri OD works best into the power amp in, bypassing the preamp.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I was just checking out Youtube and found this cube 30x test drive video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpa0J3VPMnc

And another one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBwq4UXI9VA&feature=related

Awesome tone, jeez, I want one !

ReplyQuote