Skip to content
Low to medium price...

Notifications
Clear all

Low to medium priced, jangly, semi-hollow... Gretsch?

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 Arue
(@arue)
Topic starter  

I thought my next guitar was going to be a decent acoustic (still a possibility) and I know I don't have money for a new guitar, but I have recently become obsessed with the particular sound of a certain musician, Shiina Ringo. (I've been obsessed with her songwriting for a while, but only recently have I fallen in love with the sound of the guitar on her CDs).

Her guitar-of-choice is a Duesenberg Starplayer, which is totally out of my price range. It's a semi-hollow body, Les Paul-type shape, and it's a jangly sound that has some bite to it.

(Disclaimer: I know I will not sound like my favorite guitarist by buying their guitar. I know that requires the proper pedals and effects and amps and mixing and, most importantly, technique.)

I'm just asking--hypothetically--if one were trying to get a guitar with a similar sound, in an under-$700 price range, what might be a good choice? I am looking at some of the Gretsches (and in fact SR does namedrop Gretsch in one of her songs, along with Rickenbacker) and also at the Daisy Rock Retro-H Deluxe because I am Such. A. Girl.

Currently I own just a laminate-top acoustic (though a pretty good one, considering).

(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Consider any well built semi hollow and swap out the pickups. This will get pretty close to the Rickenbacker jangle. I took a used Epiphone Sheraton II and replaced the pickups. My choice for pickups was from Retrotrons from GFS.

Guitar cost me $325, used. The pickups were about $70 (for both). I think the tech charged me $60 to install the pickups (more than normal, because it is a real pain to replace pickups in a semi hollow). Total $455 and it is very close to a Rickenbacker's sound.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

"Jangly" means different things to different people, but always makes the thought of a 12-string at least cross my mind. I do love my Agile AS-820 semihollow (more or less an ES-335 knockoff), and from time to time I have lusted in my heart for a 12-string version of it that Rondo has advertised. Don't know if it's among their current sale offerings; these models come and go. It's priced way below your maximum, but is of decent quality.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

I have an Daisy Rock Retro H and it's definately jangly. mine is a 12-string. I was lucky to get mine cheap, used from GC. I think it may be the way to go for you....

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Danelectro -- low price, semi-hollow with retro sound (some would say jangly). A lot of us with more expensive guitars would buy one for the sound and vibe. Despite appearances (cool to many!), they are real guitars. You may even be able to get one for less than $250.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Danelectro-59-Dano-Electric-Guitar?sku=514243

or if you are more daring:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Danelectro-Dano-Pro-Electric-Guitar?sku=514244

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Ehh, the shapes - especially the second one.

No Sir, I will happily keep off from that 'guitar'. :Ugh:

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

BTW, after I mentioned the 12-string Agile AS-820, Kurt sent out another sale newsletter. It's in there currently.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Ehh, the shapes - especially the second one.

No Sir, I will happily keep off from that 'guitar'. :Ugh:

A bit convensional are we, Rahul? :P

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote