Maple vs. Rosewood?

31 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
13.1 K Views
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Not sure if this is the write place to pose this question, but is there a difference in playability between an electric guitar with a rosewood fret board vs. a maple fret board. I'm new to playing and have a maple fret board on my guitar, but was just wondering what would generally lead someone to purchase a guitar with one vs. the other (or is it just a matter of personal taste).

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Definitely a Your Milage May Vary situation:

Looks aside, they sound a bit different (simplistically: maple is snappier; rosewood mellower), and feel different. But not all rosewoods and not all maples are created or finished to equal satisfaction of the player. I have played maples I love, as well as maples I hate. Gotta try what you will buy ...

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

I agree with Greg.

Rosewood boards are warm and mellow and have a slow note decay.
They are also known for creating a desireable 'note bloom' effect.

Maple boards are slightly cooler sounding and allow a snappier note with a somewhat faster decay.

While we're here, I may as well mention Ebony boards as well ~ They are colder than maple, and have the fastest note decay.

Of the three, maple boards are the only finished one.
These days usually in polyurathane or polyester.
In the old days it was nitrocellulose lacquer.

They still make lacquer finished maple on vintage re-issue guitars.
For some reason though, they seem kinda sticky, and that turns alot of people off.

Fender switched to rosewood in.... '59 I believe, because the finish wore off of the maple boards
relatively easy, and Leo was getting some negative feedback about it.
Although today, those wore-out maple boards are pretty desireable.

I've heard many people say they prefer rosewood over maple because they can 'feel the wood' while they play.

I have 2 Strats - one rosewood, one maple.... I like 'em both.

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

maple = mojo :mrgreen:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Of the three, maple boards are the only finished one.

Rickenbacker lacquers their rosewood fretboards.

I know, I know, a rare exception, but you did say "only" maple ... :wink:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Hey Mitch! :D

Well, I stand corrected :wink:

I wasn't really aware of that, to be honest.
Now that I think of it - they do seem AWFULLY shiny.... pretty even.
Hmmm, thankx for pointing that out.

You know me ~ thinking that Fenders are the ONLY guitars ever made! :lol:
Sorry.
Back to reality :shock:

Ken

-Ernest Hemingway

-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ken, in my world Fenders are indeed the ONLY guitar...but that's because my lovely wife will only let me buy one guitar (at least so far... LOL).

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Hey P.B. :D

Well, that's not really a bad thing.
I'm not one to own many guitars myself.
And a Fender is a good choice for an ONLY guitar. (IMHO :twisted: )

Maybe you could post some pics of it, or of you playing it...?
I'm sure we'd all like to see....
And welcome to GN! :D

On another note -
I may have to correct myself :oops:

After picturing Ric fretboards in my mind, I got to thinkin' of Fender's rosewood Tele....
It just may have a finished rosewood board as well.
http://www.dipintoguitars.com/vintage/solid%20electrics/RosewoodTele.htm

Mitch - Do you know what the tonal effect would be of finishing a rosewood board?
How it would alter it from an unfinished one that is....

Ken

-Ernest Hemingway

-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the welcome Ken. I'll post some pics tonight when I get home from work.

ReplyQuote
(@gerry)
Honorable Member

This is taken from Tom Anderson Guitarworks:-

The most frequent topic in the neck wood debate is Solid Maple vs. Maple with a rosewood fingerboard : Most people who are interested in the sonic influences of wood have heard it said, a maple neck produces a brighter sound than that of maple with a rosewood fingerboard. However, allow us to elaborate. Solid maple doesn't seem to chop off the bottom end of the sound as much as it seems to tighten and control that bottom. So, a maple neck does have a good bottom end but with clarity, definition and control. Rosewood on the other hand has a looser, louder bottom end sound to it. As far as the high end is concerned, maple does the same thing up here. It tightens and controls the high end so you don't really hear the sparkling upper end that the rosewood makes. (Something like the sizzle of the drummer's high hat cymbals) In the midrange, solid maple is clear and present without sounding hard, while rosewood is breathy and scooped in the mid to upper mid range area.

I have a Mahogany Neck with a Rosewood Fretboard which works for Gibson and it works on my Tom Anderson. Mind you as mentioned there is also a vast difference in quality of woods and in particular Rosewood. Looking at the grain on the rosewood on my Epi Sheraton and the grain on the rosewood on my Anderson the difference in quality is incredible. Suffice to say you do get what you pay for and it really does pay that you check out the guitar before buying it as with any production run quality can vary on mass produced guitars.

Gerry

Those who can't dance always blame the band.

http://www.gerrycooper.com/

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Mitch - Do you know what the tonal effect would be of finishing a rosewood board?

Been reading some Ric forums, where a few people have de-lacquered their fretboards. Lots of comments on the different feel, but no one mentioned a tonal difference.

On a fretless bass I'd say there's a difference, but the chatter of the string against the fingerboard is part of that sound.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Sorry all, I tried figuring out how to load an image of my guitar but can't figure out how to do so (any suggestions on how to load a jpg image would be appreciated).

In the meantime, as a reference point the guitar is one of the new '08 American Standard Series Strats, 3 tone sunburst with a maple fret board. I got a Blues Jr. amp to go along with it and I love them both. Admittedly they're both probably more guitar/amp then someone at my experience level can truly appreciate (I've only been playing an accoustic now for a little over a month) but I instantly became addicted to playing and figured since I've waited 40 years to discover the absolute joy of playing the guitar, why not go for a true thing of beauty.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've heard many people say they prefer rosewood over maple because they can 'feel the wood' while they play.
You've got to really be in the groove to feel that.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

AAAAAAAAAAh, yer killin' me there Ric!

You, a able to really get into the groove redily with your Johnson in hand are you?

Ken

-Ernest Hemingway

-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@jamminejohn)
Eminent Member

I like 'em both. Snappy maple is percussive and clear and rosewood feels nice/looks nice and smoothes out the trebles.
Maple cuts through a mix ! :shock: Birdseye is pretty.

JJ

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3