Clear all

Memphis

13 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Me and the Mrs are headed to Memphis for New years. Anyone know of any good hotspots to hit while we're there?

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Interstate BBQ! A dive, but it's the best barbeque in town. Rendezvous is safer, nicer, more touristy. Just a warning: Memphis BBQ ain't like Texas BBQ.

On Beale Street: Rum Boogie Cafe, BB King's, Mr. Handy's Blues Hall (small place, very cool)

Stax Museum of American Soul Music

The Gibson factory (yes, in Memphis not Nashville) - I think you need rezzies in advance

The ducks at the Peabody. Gotta time it just right though, when they're coming out of the elevator.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Interstate BBQ! A dive, but it's the best barbeque in town. Rendezvous is safer, nicer, more touristy. Just a warning: Memphis BBQ ain't like Texas BBQ.

Ain't nothin' quite like Texas BBQ

;)

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Dry powder coated meat ain't BBQ.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Dry powder coated meat ain't BBQ.

Sounds like you need to try some of Gunslinger's Spicy Texas BBQ Sauce. You're guaranteed to love it if it doesn't kill you.

:) :) :)

Oh, and I booked a reservation for us to see the Gibson factory.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Bet I'd love it.

But I was disappointed in that powdered "BBQ" in Memphis. Not bad meat, just not BBQ. (I went to the Rendezvous, dragged there by a Yankee friend who was singing its praises.)
:lol:

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Yeah, you gotta specify "wet." Otherwise, prepare to get a throat-full of dry powder.

Oh, don't forget to visit Sun Records, if it's still giving tours. Not sure.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I checked, and they are still giving tours. Me and Sarah will head over to the studio after the Gibson tour and force our way in.

I'll have to order my BBQ wet. Powder doesn't sound very tasty.

:)

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Nobody mentioned Graceland yet?? 8)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Gettin' any dry powder out in Colorado yet?

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Yup! Just got home. Going to ride this one out from the comfort of my home! Don't know how much we will get - probably a foot or so. Denver is supposed to get buried - again. :cry:

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Just keep it out there. Don't want to see it in Tennessee.

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I hit every shop and bar on Beale St, and I have to say that I like Handy's the best. The Gibson factory tour was alright, but the Sun Studio tour was great. The Pig had great BBQ (if ordered correctly), and we got so drunk that I nearly couldn't find my way back to the hotel room. Oh, and the "Big Ass Beer" (Probably trademarked by the Beale Street Merchants) was freakin' wonderful.

Thanks for the tips on where to go. Hopefully I can hit Interstate BBQ next time since they were closed while I was there.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote