Clear all

Mic vs Mike

34 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I agree with Vic's spellings. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Chris C:

Mouse >> Mice
Spouse >> Spice :twisted:

Goose >> Geese
Moose >> Meese :roll:

I think there are others...

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

OK, I messed up. I was adding gnease's option, and didn't realize that it deleted all the previous results.

Ah well, feel free to vote again without re-posting a response.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

And I thought I was getting away with something by voting again. :(

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

So I read through the compelling article on this monstrous controversy. Now, there's 20 minutes of my life that I'll never get back. :(
While the author makes a strong argument, and who would be able to argue with a linguist when it comes to this topic?, I still see it as Vic does: Mic, mics, mic'ing, mic'ed. Using the word mike just does not make sense to me.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Mic'ing, mic'd don't fit well with the rules of English usage.

That guy certainly is a cunning linguist.

BTW, if I see the name Vick I assume it's a female.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

That guy certainly is a cunning linguist.

:mrgreen:

True... But I thought some of his arguments were somewhat .....um...... is it 'fallacious' or 'fellatious' ...??

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Chris C:

Mouse >> Mice
Spouse >> Spice :twisted:

Goose >> Geese
Moose >> Meese :roll:

I think there are others...

:mrgreen:

Oh there's hundreds of them...

Here's a thread with a heap of stuff along those lines:

So You Think English is Easy??

sample:

Let's face it - English is a crazy language. There is no egg in eggplant, nor ham in hamburger; neither apple nor pine in pineapple. English muffins weren't invented in England or French fries in France . Sweetmeats are candies while sweetbreads, which aren't sweet, are meat. We take English for granted. But if we explore its paradoxes, we find that quicksand can work slowly, boxing rings are square and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig.

And why is it that writers write but fingers don't fing, grocers don't groce and hammers don't ham? If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the plural of booth, beeth? One goose, 2 geese. So one moose, 2 meese? One index, 2 indices? Doesn't it seem crazy that you can make amends but not one amend? If you have a bunch of odds and ends and get rid of all but one of them, what do you call it?

If teachers taught, why didn't preachers praught? If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat? Sometimes I think all the English speakers should be committed to an asylum for the verbally insane. In what language do people recite at a play and play at a recital? Ship by truck and send cargo by ship? Have noses that run and feet that smell?

How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites? You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language in which your house can burn up as it burns down, in which you fill in a form by filling it out and in which, an alarm goes off by going on.

English was invented by people, not computers, and it reflects the creativity of the human race, which, of course, is not a race at all That is why, when the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are out, they are invisible.

PS. - Why doesn't 'Buick' rhyme with 'quick'

English can overwhelm you, or even underwhelm you, but it never seems to just whelm you...

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, why do we drive on a parkway, and park on a driveway?? :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Ah! I see that Wes...and quite a few others...are well and truly into this season's Egg Nog! :lol:

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've discovered that egg nog and coffee mix well, in any proportions.

But microwaving egg nog isn't a great idea. Makes a gelatinous coagulum like soft scrambled eggs form on the inside of your coffee cup.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Mic'ing, mic'd don't fit well with the rules of English usage.

IIRC, apostrophes are used to contract a word. Also note that int'l, add'l and at least a few others have achieved common usage in this fashion.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Yeah, why do we drive on a parkway, and park on a driveway?? :D

And why are they called apartments when they are so close together?

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Being the choices available, +1 for gnease' choice.

My personal preference is "Michaeling" when I feel the need to be accurate. Otherwise it's "Dingleling" or "Dangleling".

Unless, given my state of playing these days, it's called "Dingleberrieing". :roll:

Actually, when using my Traynor, the sheer SPL of the darn thing just impresses the sound onto anything within 500 feet of it.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I think I prefer "Dingleberrying."

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3