Notifications
Clear all

Moment of doubt

26 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Just recalling something that happened to me a while back....

It was in the pub one night - just myself, my mate Stu, and a few non-guitarists in, before the regular crew arrived. So we ran through a few songs we'd jammed on a lot. Every time we played "Stand By Me" Stu insisted we did it in A - because that's how he learned it, from the Lennon version. That night, I suggested we do it in G - I mean, how hard is it to play G, Em, C and D instead of A, F#m, D and E? But no, we had to do it in A because, quote, "I've worked the slide solo out in A." So I suggested he played everything two frets lower....nah, too much trouble. Ended up doing it in A, and made a dog's back leg of it - when it came to the chorus, I had to go DOWN an octave instead of higher.

You can see what I mean here......

What I'm trying to say is, don't be a slave to the original recording - if you have to play Paranoid in D instead of E, or if you have to use a capo, it'll sound better with an average voice in tune, rather than struggling to stay in tune....

:D :D :D

Vic

THE GN Moderator !

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Oh, and by the way Vic is right ..... you are right Vic. :lol: I tried Paranoid in D just now and what a difference! I also added more reverb and some chorus to my vocal. Some of the songs are either comfortable where they are, like Schools Out, or they use open strings, and that makes them harder to transpose so I will have to take each one individually. So far though I think Paranoid is the only one I've really been struggling to hit. We do Johnny B. Goode in A so that is already a couple of steps lower than the recording. I believe it's in B. Proud Mary is in D and I think I need tomess with that as Fogerty's voice is up there. This brings me to Fortunate Son. That will be easy to transpose.Wonder how it would sound 1/2 step down ... hmmm. Seems I have work to do. But it isn't work, we all know that, its fun! :D

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Proud Mary is in D and I think I need tomess with that as Fogerty's voice is up there.

I think you'll find Proud Mary's in G - intro's F, D, F, D, F, D, C, Bb, G, then the main chord all through the verses is G.

For "Fortunate Son" - I've tried playing it in G, it just doesn't work - the only way you're ever going to get that song perfect is to tune down a whole tone to DGCFAD. You really need that fifth string tuned to G for the droning effect! then you play

(A) Some folks are born, (G) made to wave the flag,
(D) Ooh, they're red white and (A)blue.

because you've tuned to DGCFAD, what it'll sound like is....

(G) Some folks are born, (F) made to wave the flag,
(C) Ooh, they're red white and (G)blue.

Hope that helps you.....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hmmmmm ... I got the sheet music for them and Fortunate son is in G and Proud Mary in D? I never checked them against the recordings though so that doesn't mean much.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

If you want I can work on the MIDI file and send it back as MP3. I should be able to get it to sound okay I guess, if you're interested just drop me the MIDI and I'll see what I can do.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Fortunate son is in G....

Yes, "Fortunate Son" IS in G....BUT you'll need to tune to DGCFAD to play it the way JF and CCR played it on the hit single - he used the open G string (the A string, tuned down to G!) as the root bass note in the intro riff.

Looking up "Proud Mary" and checking key.....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

And as for "Proud Mary" in D.....you right, me wrong. Apologies. I've played it in G so long I really didn't know there was an original key to play it in!

Bugger - now I'm going to have to work out the intro all over again!

But that's what I mean about choosing a key to suit you, instead of sticking to the original key no matter what - there's no way in the world I could sing PM in D, but I could do it in G quite comfortably. Matter of fact, I did, three years ago on the Texas jaunt - the first open mic I EVER did, I played Proud Mary in G - and sang along to it. That was in the Fallout Lounge in Dallas. Sighhhhhh....good times.

But I'm pretty sure about "Fortunate Son"....you'll have to tune down to DGCFAD to get that open G string bass note drone.
At least I think I'm sure. I may be wrong, but I'm fairly certain - well, reasonably certain - I'm right. Well, I might be right. Well, I could be close.....

DGCFAD tuning - play A, G and D for the verses....A, E, D for the choruses.

(I think.....well I'm guessing....well I MIGHT be right.....)

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

TR
Go for it man. Your heart is in the right place. You guys are good and it WILL be fun. I think the most important thing about this decision is the landscape. You said there are plenty of bars to go around, all just waiting for a good act to come in.
DO IT!!
Like everyone else said, you guys are better than most bar bands I've heard. BTW...I'm basically in the same boat. Thinking about getting a band together. The one difference is, in my area, I would NEED to have a drummer. The bars would not accept it. Go for it man. I think this is a great idea.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Arjen but I think were OK. I have a midi program that I can edit with and it is very easy to change key.

I appreciate the support Blueline, I plan to get out a little more and check out the local bar scene, but I do know there are 2 or 3 acts playing regularly around here that use a drum machine. There is one guy that plays solo with backing tracks as well and he seems to get a lot of gigs. I agree, there is no way I could compete with a band with a real drummer, but again a 2 piece band will come cheap.

Oh Vic, we're good on Fortunate Son. :lol: You know what you said about playing songs in the same key as the recording? Well, this is a song that we don't even play the same way so no problem. We use distortion and barre chords with a pounding bass guitar droning on the G.

Lots of practicing ahead, I plan to do a demo CD and maybe a DVD that I could pass out to bar owners. We live in the sticks here. Most sparcely populated county in New York state. I know rural doesn't come to mind with New York but believe me, it is rural here. The only city in the county is Ogdensburg. 12,000 people but somebody had to be a city. A few years back though before the legal drinking age went up it was the city with the most bars per cappita in the US. Not exactly something to be proud of, but that means that there are a lot of dives in search of cheap entertainment. :lol: Oh, and as far as our type of act goes, a lot of the bars here used to be houses, so they are small venues.

ReplyQuote
(@jenny-b)
Estimable Member

Just wanted to say, I just watched your video :D You just put a big smile on my face. I would go to see you and cheer you on! You look you're having such fun. How fantastic for you that you can do this with your son.. its so amazing to share something like this with family. Go for it and have fun!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, it was the same in Richfield Springs. We had 11 (or 14 maybe?) bars when I lived there and 1/2 were houses. Old things too, like you walk in and fall the direction that the floor was leaning. Better bring some of those old glass fuses with you. :lol:

Good times!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2