Clear all

Money to spend on a new accoustic.

15 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I have some money that is burning a hole in my pocket so need to get rid of it pretty quickly. :wink:

I've decided to upgrade my old cheapo accoustic for something a little better.

I already have my eye on a couple of Washburns and Takamines to try out. I'm also planning on giving Yamaha a go as well, having been very impressed with their electrics.

My questions are these:

Firsty, during my research I've come across some guitars with a Sitka Spruce top. I know that Sitka is the name of the tree it comes from and that they are predominantly from Alaska. My question is how does this sound compared to other woods used for accoustics? Is it anything special?

Secondly, I've seen some really nice looking Crafter guitars I'd quite like to try out. I know Washburns are quite popular round these parts and have played a couple of Takamines myself. I just wondered if anyone here had any experience of Crafters that they could share.

My budget is around £350/ $500. Is there anything from my list of potentials that I really ought to be looking at?

Many thanks in advance.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

You already know what I'm going to suggest :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

I just got a Seagull. They're popular here and they're very nice guitars. I've been hearing that Blueridge makes a very nice guitar. There may be a lower end Martin in that price range, but you might have to look around.

For $500 you can get something pretty good.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Sitka Spruce is a fine tonewood. It has a generally wide dynamic range which makes it good for general work, great for strumming and in the grand scheme of things not the best wood for a lighter touch.

Englemann is a good choice also.

Personally I like Cedar tops but they are pretty hard to find in that range.

If I was making a list of good guitar brands in that price range, I might stick with Washburn or look at Blueridge. Have you thought about a used guitar? I lucked out and found a Fylde Orsino for $300 US.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Spruce is a good wood. By the way, I am always curious what sound shall result, if a guitar is made out of furniture wood.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

Nick,

Seagull makes a guitar that is cedar/cherry for under $500. I also saw a 12 string today for $550 with a cedar top that I think was a Washburn.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

I was at Guitar Center the other day for lunch and happened into the Accoustic Room. The guy in there just opened two Epiphone Masterbuilts. As soon as he saw it was me, he said I had to play "THIS" one.

He said he's been opening up a lot of boxes lately, after the Holidays....and that particular one was a Gem.

I was very very impressed and told him if it were a cut-away model I'd seriously think about it as I already have a Dread.

Short story, I've been looking at Epi Masterbuilts alot lately and am about to GAS again soon... <wink>

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

btw, I don't know where you're located but i have a Seagull M6 for sale for $200. Check the swap meet seciton for details if interested.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

That is a good deal.

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all help guys.

Today's the day I (hopefully) pull the trigger.

@Nick: thanks for the info on the woods.

One of my regular guitar mags does a regular little piece on tone woods each month. I don't normally read it but have gone back this week and checked out all my back issues. Silka spruce wasn't mentioned so thanks for filling in the gaps.

I've seen a couple of cedars on the net in the price range but don't know if I'll find one in my local stores. You never know though.

@pearlthekat: As nick says that does indeed look like a good deal. I'm in the UK so postage would be a bit of a mare. Also, because I'm not to au fait with accoustics (I've been using mainly electric up to now) I would rather go out and handle the goods before I pay out. If you were a bit more local I'd certainly consider it. You shouldn't have much trouble shifting it. I've heard good things about Seagull.

Once again, thanks to all for the help and advice. I'll let you all know how I get on later.

8)

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

I love my washburn.....hope we're all gonna get a peek at your new baby :lol:

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

:lol:

I have a new baby. :lol:

I'm going to unveil it to the world hopefully later today when I've got some pics.

Stay tuned.

8)

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

:lol:

I have a new baby. :lol:

I'm going to unveil it to the world hopefully later today when I've got some pics.

Stay tuned.

8)

:lol: :lol: Stay tuned :lol: :lol: ......how apt on a guitar site :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

:mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

I have some money that is burning a hole in my pocket so need to get rid of it pretty quickly. :wink:

I've decided to upgrade my old cheapo accoustic for something a little better.

I already have my eye on a couple of Washburns and Takamines to try out. I'm also planning on giving Yamaha a go as well, having been very impressed with their electrics.

My questions are these:

Firsty, during my research I've come across some guitars with a Sitka Spruce top. I know that Sitka is the name of the tree it comes from and that they are predominantly from Alaska. My question is how does this sound compared to other woods used for accoustics? Is it anything special?

Secondly, I've seen some really nice looking Crafter guitars I'd quite like to try out. I know Washburns are quite popular round these parts and have played a couple of Takamines myself. I just wondered if anyone here had any experience of Crafters that they could share.

My budget is around £350/ $500. Is there anything from my list of potentials that I really ought to be looking at?

Many thanks in advance.

8)

In that price range I think Spruce is Spruce and Cedar is Cedar, don't worry about where it came from. I love my Washburns (spruce), and I love my Seagull (cedar). I heard nothing but praise for Blueridge.

Eric

ReplyQuote