Clear all

Most iconic guitars ever designed

14 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@clifton)
Topic starter  

Hi all,

I'm compiling a list of the 25 most iconic guitars ever designed. Any suggestions? I'll be posting again with the final list once I've taken your comments into account...

Thanks,

Clifton.
My kit: Schecter Strat (Fender neck), triple Schecter vintage single coils, Fender Blues Junior, Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer, Dunlop Wah, 1950s Stella (no model name), Fender Gemini II, Crafter electro-acoustic, Music Man Stingray bass.

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

telecaster, stratocaster, les paul, lp goldtop w/p90s, es335/355/lucille, d28, mustang, hummingbird, the eddie van halen frankenstrat, sg, selmer modele jazz, flying v, jimmy page's double guitar, batio's double guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

telecaster, stratocaster, les paul, lp goldtop w/p90s, es335/355/lucille, d28, mustang, hummingbird, the eddie van halen frankenstrat, sg, selmer modele jazz, flying v, jimmy page's double guitar, batio's double guitar.

That's got most bases covered! Off hand I can only add the Fender Esquire, and Gibson Firebird and Explorer to that list.....oh and the Gretsch White Falcon, and the 60's Rickenbackers....

Although, thinking about basses, how about the Hofner violin bass, the Rickenbacker 4000 series, the Fender Jazz & Precision basses?

Or are you thinking particular guitars? Like BB King's Lucille, Bo Diddley's square guitar, Springsteen's Esquire, Joe Strummer's battered Tele, Page's Les Paul, Clapton's Blackie....like any other "best of" or "top 10/25/100" it's going to be pretty subjective and down to taste. Rory Gallagher's Strat, Frank Rossi's Tele, Ian Hunter's "Maltese Cross" guitar, Willie Nelson's Martin (Trigger,) Woody Guthrie's "This Machine Kills Fascists" Gibson.....good luck narrowing THAT list down to 25!

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

That covers plenty. I would have taken that direction. Any Strat or Tele will make it, but I'd focus on LP '58 - '60 bursts.

Different, but none-the-less-important. Martin D-18, D-28, http://www.suite101.com/content/the-most-famous-acoustic-guitar-a30574

Gibson J45, Jumbo - SJ200, Hummingird (I have to leave out the beautiful Dove, only people with some savvy know it?)

Gretsch Country Gentleman or Nashville, White Falcon. And skip a few years, not to forget the Paul Reed Smith saga of today, so Custom 24 with bird inlays. :D Rickenbacker, John Lennon's 325, the 4001 Bass and Roger McGuinn's 370-12.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickenbacker

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Everybody's stuck with the "old faithful" list. Shame on the lot of you; we need to progress.

Why has nobody mentioned BC Rich? Let's at least shove the Warlock in the list.

Nobody mentioned The Red Special either - Brian May's homemade axe plugged into a VOXAC30 was the whole of the Queen sound.

And what about the Dean Dimebag Razorback?

Jack White's plastic Airline guitar?

Seasick Steve's two or three-string specials?

Don't forget Danelectro. Jimmy Page used a Dano with lipstick pickups on White Mountain Side and they were reissued a couple of years back in response to demand.

Kurt Cobain's Jagstang?

Matt Bellamy's Manson guitars? Seriously sick sounds. Have a listen to Plug In Baby.

Prince's indecipherable squiggle guitar?

Loads of others, I'm sure.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

Did I miss it, has someone mentioned the Flying V? If not, let me add that.

The Dan-o Longhorn?

And yes, the Old Faithful are iconic and that's how they got to be old faithful.

Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

cobain designed the jag-stang, but didn't really use it or like it, apparently, and only prototypes were made during his lifetime. he did use both the jaguar and mustang.

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

From the '60s "folk scare," the Guild 12-string.

Ace Frehley's Les Paul Custom with three humbuckers. (Also Gene Simmons' Axe and Punisher basses.)

Fender Jazzmaster, as played by Elvis Costello and Tom Verlaine.

Johnny Ramone's Mosrite.

Gibson ES175, the classic jazz box.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

consider

the L5 -- thought by some to be THE classic jazz box

the lowly "Cowboy" Guitar -- Harmony Stellas and Gene Autreys of old:

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

Roger McGuinn's 370-12.

Surely you meant to write, "George Harrison's 360-12":

:D

And let's show some respect for the Dead: Jerry Garcia's "Wolf" guitar by Doug Irwin...

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@clifton)
Topic starter  

Wow - thanks guys! Amazing selection there. Eventually, I went for this lot: http://stuff.tv/News/25-most-iconic-guitars-ever/15063/

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

interesting take.

could play a game of "spot the mistakes" with this article. isn't that pic of Billy Gibbons really Dusty on bass? and Flea plays a MM bass, not a Silhouette guitar. and ...

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Oh, dear......BB King plays an ES335, eh?

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote