Notifications
Clear all

Music and languages

17 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I am often confronted by the questions asked here.

Being an Indian, Hindi is more natural to me. However, most of the music I listen to is classic english hits of the past or new rock stuff (like Green Day). I have never tried playing songs of my own language on guitar and many times when I am with the family, it becomes an awkward position for me.

The family people won't understand most of the english songs. And even if I play a simple song in my own language, they really get into the mood. Its natural. Developing a repertoire in own language is a must, if you want to be popular and get associated with the people of your country.

I am trying to do so (or rather should start doing so...).

There is nothing is the world like your mothertongue. And then there are things which you can only express in it. So my advice to you and to myself would be to never lose sight of good music in our own language.

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I don't think it matters much what language a song's written in. It's more the flow and feel, the rhythmic qualities and the cadence of the words that matters. Opera's the classic example; the words that sound so full of life and meaning in Italian would probably sound unbearably crass in English.

As for Dutch bands, I can't really comment - there were a couple who had a fair bit of success outside the Netherlands in the 70's, but Golden Earring sang in English and Focus played mostly instrumentals, although Thijs van Leer could yodel a bit!

I've listened to enough of your music by now, Arjen, to form the opinion you're more comfortable writing in Dutch than English - and some of the magic's lost when you've posted translations!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2