Music from other countries

12 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Whats the best way to buy music that isnt available in the US? I have always listened to mostly popular rock, country, etc. but I recently learned that I like alot of latin american pop/salsa/mambo style music. One in particular that I like I cant get here and when I tried to order it from an online vendor it was going to cost me $75 to have the CD shipped to me :shock: . The band is Sanalejo and the CD is "No lo hagas" just in case anyone is wondering. Anyone with suggestions? I want to get it legally, of course.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Have you checked to see if you can purchase the music for download? That's typically what I do when buying German music not readily found over here.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Have you checked to see if you can purchase the music for download? That's typically what I do when buying German music not readily found over here.

I've been looking for that option but I havent found one yet. Its possible that its just not going to be available to me.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I had one other thought. I wrote to the managment company for the band. Maybe they'll write back and let me know where I can get it. Its tough cause they might just be a garage band for all I know. LOL I doubt that though, Amazon.com has a CD of theirs from 2005 for digital download. I wrote them also.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Geoo, I would suggest that you listen to some Hindi (Indian) music.

Best Regards,

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

Good one. I have found quite a bit at my local library. Primarily Indian and African. You just have to look. I got a disc of Tibetian monk chants from some...Tibetian monks. I have quite a collection of sitar music that I aquired when studing sitar. There is a website centered in Russia http://www.mp3seller.com that sells MP3 discs that I got a disc of Russian Techno. I guess the rarest is a friend went to Panama on vacation and brought me a rap cd made by local Panama rappers.

I'm always out to broaden the horizons.

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Yeah, the shipment costs are usually more expensive than the product. For this reason, when I purchase something in Amazon I try to buy several things.

By the way, Amazon is the worst site to buy international music and books. I've seen CDs with a value of 3x and 4x relative to I paid for them.

I don't know if you could check some Spanish store directly but probably the shipment costs will be equivalent to when we buy there.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, I did some email exchange with a fellow from Colombia, a company called Monofonica. He said shipment could cost up to about $30 to ship it to me. I think the CD was $13. However, when I put the CD in my "Cart" it said it would be $70. Also, I am not sure if I want to use my card to purchase outside the states. If there is a problem with the order I dont know if it will be difficult to get my money back. I need to look into that.

I did find one of Sanalejo's old CDs on Amazon and its pretty good. Not quite as good as the one I want.. I appreciate all the suggestions. I know its seems like a trivial problem but I have really gotten into this music.

Jim

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Sanalejo has a CD for downloading in the Apple iTunes Store: Alma y locura (2005), 9.99$. They also appear in a couple of compilations.

I don't think it is a trivial problem. I like to hear all kind of music, too, and usually I have a lot of problems buying it. When I go out of Spain I buy music of each country. That music is not available from here to a "reasonable" price. I have the same problem.

I was checking here: http://www.elcorteingles.es and http://www.fnac.es , the first one is a big store and they sell overseas but it seems the shipment costs are expensives. Fnac is a French site but it has stores in all Europe. I didn't find if they sell overseas but you can find in the other international sites.

You can find a lot of Sudamerican music in Spain, as you know we always share part of the culture and, moreover, lately we are having a lot of immigration from there so there is a "market" now.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Alma y locura is the one I bought last night from Amazon. I really like the digital download option. I think it cost me 9 bucks and with broadband it doesnt take long to download. I am taking a trip to either Honduras or possibly Costa Rica later in 2008. It might be easier to get it while I am there.

Thanks for the links. I will check those out too.

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member

You might want to try Indian Ocean. They are an Indian (duh :P) jam band and their music is mainly influenced by Indian Classical and Folk music. Mix of vocals and long guitar solos supported by Bass, Drums and Tabla. I'd suggest listening to songs from their album Kandisa. Available for download on emusic.com

http://www.indianoceanmusic.com/

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I just checked, if I'd send something your way the price would depend on the weight. An album weighting less then 250gram would cost a maximum of 5 euro for priority shipment to the States. If you want something that's availlable over here let me know and we'll work something out.

ReplyQuote
(@rmorash)
Estimable Member

For music from other counties, did you check out Narada. They have an interesting mix of offerings that may suit what you're looking for

http://www.narada.com/newreleases_pageworld.htm

ReplyQuote