Clear all

Music moves me.

31 Posts
26 Users
0 Likes
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I just want to say that music is the greatest thing in the world. There is a different type of music for every emotion your feeling. I love it. Music moves me. It seems so much more then just music to me. Like bands like ac/dc, metallica, motley crue, journey, megadeth, ratt, nirvana, and led zeppelin are pretty much everything that real music is about. Theres other bands that im forgetting thats just a sample. But, i just want to say i dont know where i would be today without music. :D :D :D :twisted:

Sing Me A Song Your a Singer, Do me a wrong, your a bringer of evil. - Dio

Kyle
(@kyle)
Reputable Member

Amen. I can honestly say that I don't think I'd be able to function without some certain bands and songs as well. Music forever.

P.S. It might be fun to list a few songs that you find absoelutely essential to your life. Here are a few of mine.

Round Here by the Counting Crows

Dave Goes to Holleywood by the Black Dahlia Murder

Ad a Dglgmut by Between the Buried and Me

Hope Leaves by Opeth

This Dying Soul by Dream Theater

To Bid You Farewell by Opeth

San Onofre by Allan Holdsworth

Under it All by Steve Vai

So many more but that's a partial list

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

:D :D

My list would probably be very different to the two above, but I certainly feel the same way about music. It's the King, Queen, Prince and Princess of the Arts, and the rest can only shuffle along behind! :twisted:

I remember when I first bought a CD player (about 15 years ago I think). I'd bought a CD of Wynton Marsalis playing a Classical Trumpet Concerto so I put it on and sat down to listen.

When it began, the sound was incredibly crisp and clean compared to the crappy tapes I'd been listening to, and Wynton Marsalis' trumpet playing was dazzlingly good. Within seconds the brilliance of the piece and the way he played caused the emotion to well up and tears to spontaneously start trickling down my cheeks (this was in a big blokey man of over 40 BTW).

Nothing else but music can act that quickly or that comprehensively on my emotions (with the possible exception of a kick in the nuts...). 8)

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

Music is in every part f me. I am always listenign to music. In fact, right now I am listening to a band called Gogol Bordello. My car and house is littered with CDs, i have thousands.

Hmmm, essential songs?

Lucky Man by The Verve
Live Forever - Oasis
Hurt - Nine Inch Nails (or Johnny Cash, both good)
Konstantine - Something Corporate
Hey Jude, Let It Be, Yesterday...we all know who wrote those.

Those are the most important ones that come to mind right now.

Also, pretty much anything by U2 and Ani DiFranco. U2 remains the only band to evoke tears of happiness. They are the only band I listen to on a daily basis. I can't explain my fascination with DiFranco, but it's strong. No one song can describe the effect that either has on me...words in general can't explain what U2 does to me. I can't wait till October when I see them for the 5th and 6th times.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

+1 about music in general.

As for songs, I just have an album:

Live at the Fillmoree East: The Allman Brothers Band 8)

For all who don't have it, or like the current Allman Brothers band *alright* , definatly buy this! It is a must have album for any music fan... :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@hummerlein)
Estimable Member

Bodies - Smashing pumpkins (most all smashing pumpkins for that matter)
Cortez the Killer - Neil Young, but I like the live dave matthews/warren haynes version
Hurt - NIN
Magik #3 by DJ Tiesto (Yeah I'd say I like techno more than guitar stuff at times :))

Lots of other stuff, surely

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

I feel more emotion for instrumentals (specifically spanish classical music). That being said, music can do whatever I want it to. If I'm feeling sad, sometimes I like to listen to sad music because it really has emphasis with me. Also, if I'm feeling depressed or just bored out of my skull music can get me out of that. It is the one constant thing in life you can count on.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

Cool post,

And welcome MetalicaMAN :D

someone here posted here that when people listen to music they listen with their past experiences and things they've been through ( he put it better but that's the jist of it)

That certainly holds true for me anyway, there are songs that i listen to today and it just reminds me of the period i first heard that song and the impact it made.

As i sit here i just can't help but think how i empty i would feel if this was suddenly taken away from me. I know i'm sounding kinda "new Age" here but, maybe allot of people feel this way i don't know. it's kinda speaks for me in a way.
No matter what you listen to or who your favourite artist is it becomes your best friend - i doesn't judge you it's just there something you can rely on when you need to get through tough times or happy.

It's weird though you mentioned songs you can't live without i prefer to think of it songs that mean a great deal for me.

Metallica - Fade to Black
Metallica - Mama Said
Metallica - Outlaw Torn
Metallica - Bleeding Me
Metallica - The Unnamed Feeling
Godsmack - Running Blind
Nirvana - Where did you sleep last night
Jewel - Foolish Games
Staind - So far Away
Seether - Broken
G'nR - Patience
Alanis Morissette - Head over feet

okay i'm gonna stop rambling

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I've noticed that music moves my wife too.

Every time I start playing she moves... out of the room.. :wink:

Just joking. She's actually very tolerant of my practice. :)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If music doesn't move you, it's time to quietly shuffle off this mortal coil... just looking at Minus_Human's list, there isn't a single song on there I know...but who gives a darn? It's his choice, and if they're what turns him on, all fine and dandy....

Music's a very personal thing....it's different for all of us...here are my 10 songs I couldn't live without, and why....

1 - You'l Never Walk Alone - Gerry and the Pacemakers....if you've ever stood on the Kop at Anfield, you won't need to ask why....

2 - Brown Sugar - The Rolling Stones....just the greatest riff ever written, the Stones at their absolute peak...

3 - In My Life - The Beatles....if there's one song I wish I could have written, it's this one...

4 - Baba O'Riley - The Who ....the opening track from one of the all time great albums, every time I put it on back in the 70's I had to get up and lift the stylus up, put it back to the start, I always had to listen to it at least twice...

5 - I Heard It Through The Grapevine - CCR ....11 minutes plus of John, Tom, Stu and Doug....ahhh BLISSSS!!!!

6 - Rock and Roll - Led Zeppelin..... every time it comes on the radio, it doesn't matter what time it is, doesn't matter what state I'm in, the feet start tapping, the hand reaches for the remote control, and the volume gets turned waaaaaaaaay up.....

7 - Sin City - AC/DC...another of those all-time classic riffs, every time I hear it on the radio, I just want to pick up a guitar and crank it out...

8 - Imagine - John Lennon ....Imagine what a poorer place this world would be if John hadn't written this....

9 - Maybe I'm Amazed - Paul McCartney ...for me, the finest song he wrote post-Beatles....bought a McCartney 3-CD live album recently, it's all pretty good, but "Maybe I'm Amazed" is the absolute stand-out track...

10 - Paper Plane - Status Quo ... I love the Quo to bits, but this will always have a special place in my heart, it was their first big hit when they changed their style, they still play it live...looking forward to hearing it at Manchester on Dec 13th, it'll be the 3rd time this year I've seen them...

Music's a very personal thing to all of us, but the main thing is...it makes us want to play....

So keep listening, and keep practising!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

My first musical memory is of that grainy black and white film of the Beatles doing She Loves You. It still gives me a warm feeling when it comes on VH1 forty years later.

Songs I couldn't live without?

American Pie
Cathy's Clown - Everley Brothers (#1 the day I was born - yee ha)
Rhiannon - Fleetwood Mac
Stoned Love - The Supremes
Downtown - Petula Clark
Closer To The Heart - Rush
The Sound Of Silence
Ride A White Swam - Marc Bolan
Like A Prayer - Madonna
I Want It All - Queen

Load of others, but these stick out.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

It's the King, Queen, Prince and Princess of the Arts, and the rest can only shuffle along behind!

Amen to that!

Music is the only art that must be experienced to be understood - you can describe a book or movie, a painting or sculpture... but you can't describe the beginning of Beethoven's fifth without using sound.

My earliest memories of music aren't my memories - they're my mothers. She's told me that as an infant, I would wiggle around to her Louis Armstrong records like I was dancing.

Music that I've found especially moving in one way or another:

Beethoven - Patetique Sonata
Chopin - Military Polonaise
Ron Carter - Saguaro
Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs

But there isn't much music that doesn't move me in some way. I can tell you what I was doing the first time I heard Leo Kottke, Ani DeFranco, Bo Diddley, John Surman, Ornette, Miles, Al Dimeola, Brian Setzer, Santana, or any of dozens of other artists who have stopped my day because I had to listen to what was going on. I can't count the number of times I've pulled my car over so I could listen to something on the radio without distraction :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

My earliest memories of music aren't my memories - they're my mothers. She's told me that as an infant, I would wiggle around to her Louis Armstrong records like I was dancing.

Ah, I missed out on that one.

But - the first song my eldest showed a definite liking for as a nine month old kid was....

I should be so lucky - Kylie Minogue.

Don't tell him you know - he'll kill me. He's into Marilyn Manson and Slipknot these days.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Rubicon Album- Tangerine Dream
Once in a Lifetime, Psychokiller and I Zimbra - Talking Heads
Also Sprach Zarathustra - Strauss
Sweet Jane - Lou Reed and Cowboy Junkies versions
Birdland - Weather Report
Beautiful Way - Beck

Lots of

Gershwin, Goodman, Copeland, Beatles, Jeff Beck, Steely Dan, Finn Brothers

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Music is something I just couldn't live without. It's part of who I am.

When I was just getting old enough to really form my own music tastes, my fondest memories where from Christmas. The best present I got each year came from my Uncle. It didn't cost him much at all, but it always meant the most to me. He'd buy a pack of 10 blank casette tapes and record some of his LP's on them. Things like Judas Priest, Motley Crew, Dio, etc.. I'd listen to each of them back to back as soon as we'd get home. He'd fill in the blank gap at the end with misc. songs. It was always fun for me trying to figure out who the group was and often times I'd really like them and request that album as well. He stopped doing it when I moved away from home (around the time CD's where common place as well). To this day I kinda miss that gift. My alias actually came from him. On the back of each tape he'd write "Another Crank-N-Jam Production".

I couldn't even begin to write my list of songs which move me. Right now I'm listening to Eric Clapton - Me and Mr Johnson. My foots tapping as I write this. :D

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3