Music tastes link to personality

60 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Musical tastes and personality type are closely related, according to a study of more than 36,000 people from around the world. The research, which was carried out by Professor Adrian North of Heriot-Watt University, is said to be the largest such study ever undertaken.
Lately we are not very actives! Come on! What do you think? Are the blues aficionados "high self-esteem, creative, outgoing, gentle and at ease"? And the Country ones "hardworking, outgoing"?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/7598549.stm

(@rahul)
Famed Member

I don't know about music but my tastes are getting me fat. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Using the genres they have listed, I am more into Blues (High self-esteem, creative, outgoing, gentle and at ease) , Jazz (High self-esteem, creative, outgoing and at ease) and Country (Hardworking, outgoing) than anything else. And, I think the descriptions are pretty much me. I do have high self esteem, I am creative, I am hardworking, I am outgoing, I am gentle and I am at ease (although I prefer the term "at peace"). So, for me at least, I'd say it's pretty accurate.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

The only two musical genres listed that aren't High Self Esteem are Rock/heavy metal and Indie....not sure I buy that but that would be my choices so I guess I have low self esteem.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

What do you think? Are the blues aficionados "high self-esteem, creative, outgoing, gentle and at ease"?
That would be me. :wink:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Noff
(@noff)
Estimable Member

I'm self confident yet insecure and hard working but also not hardworking, as well as creative yet non-creative. While I used to be confident and at ease, but after reading this article I just don't know who I am anymore. :cry: :cry: :cry:

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Only an opinion here but to me the blues are the "least" creative music of all ( I mean come on it's the same 12 bar pattern mixed up and regurgitated over and over)and yet people that like the music are deemed creative. Hmmm :roll:

Maybe creative people need music to listen to when they are not in a creative mood!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@unimogbert)
Estimable Member

Only an opinion here but to me the blues are the "least" creative music of all ( I mean come on it's the same 12 bar pattern mixed up and regurgitated over and over)and yet people that like the music are deemed creative. Hmmm :roll:

Maybe creative people need music to listen to when they are not in a creative mood!
Was there a music category for "argumentative?"

(that would be me too)

Unimogbert
(indeterminate, er, intermediate fingerstyle acoustic)

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Only an opinion here but to me the blues are the "least" creative music of all ( I mean come on it's the same 12 bar pattern mixed up and regurgitated over and over)and yet people that like the music are deemed creative.
It is possible, the blues is more or less restrictive with the 12 bar pattern but you always can use several voices for each chord. Although probably it could be considered also as one of the most creative since most people improvises the solos over that pattern.

:D

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

There's blues that's not 12-bar. And if you're playing by yourself (or if you're the boss), you don't have to stick exactly with that pattern. You can change when you're good and ready to. :wink:

Originality's overrated, anyway. :P

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@ness-k)
Estimable Member

I'm a pretty eclectic music buyer, what does that say about me?....

"The Beauty of Music is my Sanity. Without it, I would simply lose my gravity, and blow away with the breeze." - Ness K(Aka Matt Harris)

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

You can't focus and are unable to make a decision. :lol:

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Me too! :note1: :note2: :note1:

I like a wide range of music going all the way back to Gregorian chant and obscure ecclesiastical music, through various folk styes, blues, rock, jazz, and just about anything you can name. I've been through this sort of thing with "What does your car say about you?" too. In that case I've had cars ranging from a 1930 Austin 7 and various Morris Minors, through battered pick-ups, 4WDs, and basic European and Australian family sedans and on to Jaguar, Mercedes, and various sports cars. I've also got a heavy truck licence and have owned a number of motorbikes. So I apparently need a bus just to transport all my personalities around... I must get one...

Yet I don't recall changing personalities very time I got into a different car, listened to different music, or changed my instrument when playing. Odd that.... :?

Perhaps I actually am schizophrenic, and have been having too much fun to have noticed yet..... :shock:

But it suits me. :mrgreen:

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

Hmm. Saying blues is not creative because so much of it uses the same 12 bar pattern, is like saying pen and ink drawings are not creative because it only uses two colors, black and white.

A limited palette does not mean a lack of creativity in the hands of a capable artist.

True there is less musicality in a blues song than a Prokofiev symphony (I like them both) but more musical creativity than many one or no-chord rap songs (of course they have creative lyrics).

I guess I'm weird, because I listen to most of the categories in the list. What I don't often listen to are dance and rap.

So I guess I have high self-esteem and low self-esteem ... am creative ... outgoing and introverted ... gentle and not gentle ... at ease and not at ease ... hardworking and not hardworking, etc. ... please call the men in the white suits before it's too late :D

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'd be interested to see this study broken down into sub-genres or even selected groups/acts. Jazz as a genre, for example, is just too broad a term.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4