Notifications
Clear all

Music tastes link to personality

60 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Oh yeah, I would definitely associate the genre that gives us "32-20 Blues" with high self-esteem, gentleness and being at ease.

I'm no shrink, but what a crock of bull!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

My study wasn't as encompassing but I concluded that
if you listen to my kind of music, you have very good taste . . .
and you're more likely to "be my friend".

KR2 (aka Mr. Rogers)

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Hmmmmmm

Rock - Low self-esteem, creative, not hard-working, not outgoing, gentle, at ease - this is what it says about me. I manage 20-something people, work 11-hour days, train whole teams and write for the industry so I think it must be suspect. No, it's wrong, not suspect, just wrong.

Classical - High self-esteem, creative, introvert and at ease - this is more like it, but Introvert? Me?

So, when I'm doing my Classical Guitar stuff I'm sort of ok but when I'm headbanging at a Foo Fighters gig I'm a relaxed and easy going lazy git. Chance would be a fine thing.

Hmmmmm

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Only an opinion here but to me the blues are the "least" creative music of all ( I mean come on it's the same 12 bar pattern mixed up and regurgitated over and over)and yet people that like the music are deemed creative. Hmmm

Creativity is more then playing chords. The creativity in blues music isn't the progression but the freeform interaction between the players. These are interactions that haven't been agreed upon beforehand, they're spontaneous, requiring every bandmemeber to be aware of what everyone is doing and where the music is going. By having a basic 'foundation' you can focus on the interaction. If you were trying to improvise and listen to other people while the chords change every beat in a polyharmonic way while the two drumboxes would plat triphop and rumba beats in 7/8 and 9/8 the result would not be creative. The chaos would be too overwhelming despite the theoretical complexity. Don't confuse creativity with originality!

Anyway, I've grabbed my playlist and personality report. The top two bands for the past year have been Radiohead and Spinvis, collecting 5000 plays from me. They are both indie alternative rock. That should make me low on self-esteem, lazy, creative and 'not gentle'. To start with the obvious, yeah I'm both lazy and creative. I think the creative part speaks for itself with 200+ songs written. The psych test suggests that I'm almost obsessed with change and variety to the point of seeking new experiences even when it clearly isn't beneficial to anyone or anything. But when it doesnt come down to that I'm incredibly lazy. I weasel myself out of everything, I'm either working hard making music or not working at all.

Am I low on self-esteem? Hard to say. It would seem most people have a slightly more constant level of self-esteem, it changes a lot for me. I"m constantly changing between hyped, self-assured, convinced and downright megalomanic to it's exact opposite: insecure, shy, reserved, isolated. That changes every week, sometimes on a daily basis. The psych report agrees with that, and labels me as being extremely impulsive and reckless while being somewhat unstable when put under pressure. On things like self-efficacy I score average so on itself I seem to be neither overly high or low on self-esteem on itself, it's more that I don't think too much about what I;m doing and self-esteem seems to be linked with the succes of my random actions. :lol: I'm, on a sidenote, also incredibly immodest (both in my experience and according to the test) which should help keeping the image of permanently high self-esteem up.

As for being 'not gentle', hard to say what they mean with it. I just copied & past part of the report, 0% means you're at the lowest 1% of my peers at a given stat, 50% means average, 99% means you're at 100%. Pretty simple. The whole report is a lot more detailled but the summary of the conclusion was:
AGREEABLENESS..............0
..Trust....................13
..Morality.................1
..Altruism.................41
..Cooperation..............1
..Modesty..................1
..Sympathy.................33
Your score on Agreeableness is low, indicating less concern with others' needs Than with your own. People see you as tough, critical, and uncompromising.

I think that that is true, I'm sure most people here see me that way, so I guess this can be considered as 'not gentle'. :D
What I don't often listen to are dance and rap.

Clearly. I don't know for sure but I think one-chord rap has left the mainstream rap market in the 80s. The rap music I listen to (Opgezwolle, DuvelDuvel) all heavily work jazz progressions into the music. Compared with blues indie-rap is far more original, containing much more diverse musical elements.

Apart from that, Slej is spot on. The statistical average of 'every [fill in genre] listener' means nothing as no individual will really find himself in it. And when you have only a handfull of keywords and each word applies to practically every genre it's clear that there's nothing of real value to be found in this research project. That doesn't mean it's not fun to think about what kind of person you really am and if it related to music, but psychologists should learn statistics don't mean that much at all. If anything at all.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

True, creativity has nothing to do with the chords and you could be creative with one chord, and I agree the interaction between blues musicians can be creative and I could be president of the USA, but to me most blues is NOT very creative and I find nothing special or creative when I listen to blues.

But I have low self esteem, I don't like to work and I blame everything on a bad childhood!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I really think you're talking about originality. Blues definitely is creative, like knitting is. Both knitting and blues could theoretically be original but I guess we'd all agree that the majority of blues players and knitters are not very original. But still creative. ;) Many people feel the drive to create, it's the one thing all artists have in common. Many artists keep this drive long after they have said everything they wanted to say. Take the Stones: they ain't original by any means any more, they don't need the money but they keep playing. Why? I bet that if you'd ask them they'd say something like "I don't know, it's just what I do." But being original is something far more special, it's also something totallty unwelcome in a lot of genres. You must be creative to create anything, but creativity doesn't guarantee originality. On the other hand originality on itself is worthless as it needs creativity to become anything at all.

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Yeah.... It's all stereotypical BS.

As soon as I read the three that EB had listed, I thought it was a pretty limited and useless study.

I turned my back on the psych world long ago.
They're just not grounded in the everyday realities of actual LIFE, and all it's wonderful variety and idiosyncricies.
Always trying to pigeonhole human behavior :roll:

Rock - Low self-esteem, creative, not hard-working, not outgoing, gentle, at ease.... C'mon!
Who did they interview for the rock catergory, a group of disaffected high school stoners!

Country - Hard working, outgoing.... I came from the big city of Chicago (hardest working city around).
When I moved up here, I thought I had stepped into a scene from Green Acres or Pettiecoat Junction,
yet all the 'country' folk 'round here seem to think that they are extremely hard working, while us city folk
are lazy leeches.
I just can't see that, as when the weather is nice all the shops in town are closed 'cause everyone has literally 'gone fishin'.

Us lazy folk from Chicago wouldn't take a day off unless we were on our death bed.... and even then....

Still, it sounds like they interviewed a bunch of drunken, loudmouth, jingoistic good ole' boys just come out of a country bar
on a friday night.

Does that 'group' of people who happen to prefer country music accurately depict everyone who might like country????
Not at all.

The other genres are somewhat haughty types.... classical/jazz, etc....
So of course they get High self esteem.... they must have interviewed a bunch of rich CEO's coming out of a concert with
their mistresses on a saturday night.

Again, a small slice of the people who would listen to those types of music.

As far as Blues goes, as I'm so often reminded, Blues generally is 'Happy' music with a happy ending.
It's about shouldering your burden with optimism.

And it's complexity lies in it's simplicity.
Have you ever took a good hard look at a lot of Keef's 'original' riffs????
A good portion of them are simple Blues moves, he just re-interpreted them - GENIUS!

And yes.... there's a LOT more to blues than 12 bar stuff.
Go to youtube and check out T-Bone Walker.
If you think that his stuff is easy, post yourself playing one of his songs tomorrow on Hear Here.

Or maybe grabbing an old acoustic and posting a solo version of a Robert Johnson song.

Good Luck :twisted:

The thing that I was thinking about all this is that they seem to be talking about people who 'Listen' to music rather than
'Play' it.

Where's they psych study on Musicians????

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Something to consider: according to the article people are interviewed about their personality and more then 100 musical genres. Maybe the actual study is a lot better and makes a lot more sense then this 100-word summary suggests.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i wonder how much hard earned taxpayers money was wasted on this study grant. :roll:
another overpaid liberal arts psycho-babbler trying desperately to eliminate the individual by pigeon holing us all into neat little boxes.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

another overpaid liberal arts psycho-babbler trying desperately to eliminate the individual by pigeon holing us all into neat little boxes.
Spot on evaluation, TL

Good luck to them on trying to insert this square head into their round hole, :lol:
KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I need a psych profile for Prog.

- introverted
- math geek
- sets his watch several minutes ahead of real time
- has trouble in relationships because he holds every woman to the standard of the mythical Geddicorn

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Geddicorn

LOL! :lol: I've seen that girl! :lol:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

i wonder how much hard earned taxpayers money was wasted on this study grant. :roll:

Unless you have more info then we do you don't know how it was financed, you don't know what the real setup was nor the real conclusions. Yes, the website is lame, no, that doesnt mean anything about the study. if you want to have an opinion form it about that website, not the study: none of us know anything about it other then what the site tells us. And based on that the actual study was far more elaborate then what's suggested. And if someone did participate in it let us know!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

As presented, it's about like the astrological stuff about your traits if you were born in a particular month.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

sorry, i should have made sure that i typed "IMO"
but i thought it was pretty obvious that it was just that "my opinion"
this is typical here in the US, there was an award given out in the past called "the golden fleece" to spotlight these types of things. the one that comes to mind was a study on why children fell off of tricycles. there are many examples.
didn't mean to offend
light research of this Prof indicates enough for me to stick to my guns on this, more bs to justify tenure IMO

#4491....

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4