Notifications
Clear all

Music's role in the future

22 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I'm still interested in why Rock-n-Roll has survived for so long. Since the advent of radio, every decade has had it's musical style, which then fades and is replaced by the next style. But what we now call "Classic Rock" has been around since the late 1960s, and doesn't show any signs of dying.

Why is that?

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Because the 40-somethings of these days grew up in that period, and they are the ones where you can earn the money. Twenty years from now there'll be a disco revival.

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Oh, God! :shock:

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Then, does that mean their will be an 80's New Wave revival, and a punk revival, and then....a classic rock revival revival....

Laz: I ask myself the same question.

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Talk about contradictory here, right? So you like the band, therefore they were good?

No. What I'm saying is that what you or I think of a band has nothing to do with being 'overrated'. You don't like their new stuff, fine. But saying it IS worse or it IS overrated basically implies that you value it correctly and the rest of the world got it wrong. That's kinda odd. I'm allergic to the word 'overrated', I've never seen it used for anything but objectivation of subjective opinions. Just stick with 'I don't like their new stuff as much as the old stuff' without judging other people's ability to 'rate music'.
Basically what I'm saying here is this. Well let me give an example. A lot of people say Jimi Hendrix is the greatest guitarist of all time (I'm one of them). But about 80% of these people have only heard his "radio songs" like Purple Haze, Foxy Lady, Crosstown Traffic and they go by what other people say. When, in reality, that's not even his best stuff. See, if I made an opinionated statement saying "RHCP are so overrated" without hearing a lot of the album, or giving them a CHANCE. See, with the case with Hendrix, if some people who do think he is the greatest (that 80%) listened to the rest of this stuff, I'm sure you'd find a lot more people who still think he is the best player ever, but you'd also find a lot more that don't like his other stuff. See, with me, that's the case. At first I thought the album Stadium Arcadium was "pretty good." So I thought I'd check it out. I did, I listened to it a few times through. I came to the conclusion, that it's not as good as there old stuff. See, it has nothing to do with my judging peoples abilities in judging music. It's the fact that people formulate opinions far too often without looking at the big picture. See, Jack might think S. Arcadium is one of the greatest albums of all time, that's his opinion. I respect that. He gave the whole thing a chance. But Jessica might hear the song "Snow, Hey Oh" on the radio and quickly formulate opinions, telling everyone it's one of the best albums she's heard. That's what I don't like.
But nowadays you can combine so many elements and create something new. I've seen nobody do that.

The fact that you never heared it hardly means anything I'm afraid. Good bands do not dissapear when you don't listen to them. Again, Radiohead writes 'deep' lyrics and combines electric guitars with all kinds of sounds for a completely new kind of music. Whether you like it or not, or know them or not. Another example would be Muse, by the way. Or Lamb. These are all mainstream acts, if you want really new stuff you can as for other examples. The problem is that new stuff sounds different, and when it comes down to it many people don't really like different. We still want the basic drums/bass/guitar/vocals setup, with intro/verse/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus/outro structure. We want the solo to be pentatonic, and the ending of the song to be V-I. It has to be 'deep' but not so deep as that you actually have to think about. If people wanted that they would get some poetry and nobody cares about poetry. We want 'emotional' songs on a personal level. If possible about relations breaking up or starting one. We really like it when there seems to be a problem in the verses which is solved in the chori. You explain the hows in the bridge, preferably with the melody line being higher then the rest of the song. The solo should have big bends going to the fifth of the current chord, with a slow wide vibrato over it. Because that's emotional. Ofcourse the chord progression must be completely diationic, with the exception of the fifth degree in a minor key, which may be played as major or dominant. Heaven forbid the use of diminished or augmented chords, unless you play them on a piano, slowly, and use the conflicting notes in the melody.

So yeah, there's loads of interested, original and new music. People just don't want it. So people turn to new bands that sound kinda like their old stars and call them 'the most original' while, in fact, it would probably qualify for the 'least original' award. But ofcourse originality doesn't mean crap when a song meets the above criteria, originality only counts for genres we don't like anyway. Like rap. "Bah, rappers are so unoriginal." Not that they really would care about original rap, they don't like the general sound of it and need some word to explain why it IS bad. So on guitar forums rap music is unoriginal and overrated. On rap fora the classic rocks songs are unoriginal and overrated. Same guys, same beards, same chords, same scales. On classical forums modern music is bad etc etc etc.
On modern rap being great on a rap forum. I disagree completely. I have friends in school that grew up with rap and that kind of music. Even now they say they don't hear songs on the radio that are "great." They would rather listen to their dad's rap than the new stuff. I remember one person saying, "the only thing rap is good for right now is to dance." Again, an opinion. But it's true. The lyrics aren't nearly as emotional any more.

BTW, I do like Radiohead. Haven't listened to Muse very often though.
It's pretty much just taking a small part of a song and using it. it could be a drum beat, and intro to a song. And it's taking it directly from the actual song, not re-recording it like youtself.

That's what I mean. That's an introduction to sampling and doesn't even begin to describe what you can use it for. Sampling doesn't require another song, nor does it have to be the finished processed sounds. It doesn't even have to be an actual instrument. You can sample original instruments and turn it into different sounds. You can build whole new soundscapes from sampling.
Of course. I could record my voice making a bunch of noises, then completely change that around with the right program.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

But Jessica might hear the song "Snow, Hey Oh" on the radio and quickly formulate opinions, telling everyone it's one of the best albums she's heard. That's what I don't like.

In that case I agree, many people have opinions based on rumours and hearsay. Annoying, but that's life.
On modern rap being great on a rap forum. I disagree completely. I have friends in school that grew up with rap and that kind of music. Even now they say they don't hear songs on the radio that are "great." They would rather listen to their dad's rap than the new stuff. I remember one person saying, "the only thing rap is good for right now is to dance." Again, an opinion. But it's true. The lyrics aren't nearly as emotional any more.

Well, I can't say much about that. I thoroughly enjoy 'Opgezwolle', a dutch act. IMHO the best thing Dutch rap has had to offer since, well, ever. I don't know enough of American rap to have a strong opinion on it. I think Eminem rocks, but I like Snoop's earlier work way better then this earlier stuff. Depends on the artist I guess.

Maybe it's as with rock. Many people lik classic rock better then modern rock, many others like modern rock better. Different flavours for different people.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

^^Yup. That's true. Different Strokes for different folks.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2