Notifications
Clear all

MY first acoustic

13 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@d_rocks)
Topic starter  

Hey, im brand new to this site and guitar playing. I just recently decided im going to make the leap and buy into a guitar. I've wanted to play forever, but never really took it seriously. Now, im looking to buy a new steel acoustic for around $200 i'm willing to go higher if it's worth it. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on guitar to lead me in the right direction, before i head in to find my guitar? from what ive found so far i was looking at any of these
Yamaha FG700S
Takamine G320
Ibanez SGT520S SAGE
Ibanez SGT120S SAGE
Epiphone PR-150
Any suggestions on guitars or anything else is always helpful.

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Any of those would be great, I'm sure. I started with a Washburn D11, and I still like it. Acoustics are individuals, and though I bought mine over the Net, it's a good thing if you can get a knowledgeable player with similar musical tastes to yours to go with you to try out guitars. Not everyone has a good music store handy, though.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

My first acoustic was a Takamine and after a few months, I was thinking of buying an other one, better, but the problem was the string... I changed them and put some Martin string on it, it sounded beautiful for the price!

I still own it, it's my only acoustic and it's a great guitar for 200$

Don't know if it's the G320, but I paid 200$ for it

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

ReplyQuote
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hey there.

First of all, welcome...

As an absolute beginner myself I decided to buy a 'cheap' guitar kit just in case I didn't get on with it, or didn't enjoy it - :roll: Well, I spent about $100 on a Stagg Dreadnought model which is used by a lot of schools etc and as I didn't know any better so I was pretty happy.

People have heard it and say it sounds and looks really good - just goes to show. I agree that it would be ideal to go to a music store and choose one which your really feel is right and sounds good...but if you're a beginner - how the heck do you really know what's right...

Personal taste in looks I suppose, then asked the store owner to play one of your favourite tunes on about three or four guitars in your price range (also very important). Pick the one that sounds best to your ear, put your money down and go for it... :wink:

Enjoy and ...

Rock on!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Hi D_Rocks,

Hold on a sec and let me see what I have in my annual yard sale. I can get you such a deal on a guitar hand picked by me.

Seriously, I can save you the headache of figuring out whether a used guitar has any issues and save you a bundle of money on a guitar that is so much better than what you are looking at now.

For instance, right now I have an absolutely gorgeous Blueridge Carter Stanley guitar, with one small finish crack on the side, finish only mind you that I'm selling for $300. Besides that it's in excellent plus condition and it comes with a case. Heck you pay $75 for a case by itself now.

Check out what you'd pay new:

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/BR1060P.htm

It's a great guitar with full sound, great tone and easy to play.

So what makes this guitar better?

This guitar is solid wood all around.
Instead of getting a wood like nato on the back, you are getting solid rosewood
the bridge is ebony, the denser the wood the better the energy transfer
the fretboard is ebony, the denser the wood, the longer it lasts, some say the longer the sustain
the tuners are grover, not a knock-off. You'll hold tune longer and tune easier.
you get a hardshell case, the yamaha you mentioned charges an additional $75 for the case

So including the case, this guitar is only $25 more than the Yamaha.

There are quite a few people here on guitarnoise that have bought from me and many on ebay. All are happy with their guitars.

Let me know if you are interested.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

if you can afford it, i recommend taking Nicks offer.
The only reason i'm not is because i don't have cash on hand.this Blueridge guitar is a steal at this price dinged or not

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@dennisf6)
Trusted Member

I'm sure Nick's deal is very good - if that is in your price range.

I recently bought my first acoustic - an Epiphone PR-150. I've been playing electric for about 18 months, so I'm neither an expert nor a total beginner. To my ear and fingers, this one is quite respectable for a guitar that costs only about $99. (I happened to get it during a Musicians Friend "Stupid Deal of the Day" for only $70. Hard to beat that!)
For $129.99 you can get it in a beginners pack, if that interests you:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Acoustic-Player-Pack-with-Gig-Bag?sku=512453

All prices equal, I'd lean to a Yamaha. They have such a solid reputation that you will likely get a decent guitar that will have some resale value if you ever want to sell it. The FG700S has a solid top so it probably has a bit better tone than the PR-150. Looks like it will cost you about $80 more though.

In short, if you want a respectable guitar at a rock bottom price, I can say the PR-150 isn't bad.

I want to play guitar very badly -
and I do!

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

I play a starcaster acoustic and I like it and they sure are tuff here's a link

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=349575&pCatg=5855

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I'm with Dylan - my advice is always set your budget, go a store and try out everything in the budget, and take home the one that you like best. I'm also a huge fan of Stagg guitars, they really seem to know how to make a guitar cheaper without making it cheap, if you see what I mean. Whatever they do to get the price down isn't obvious to the listener :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@d_rocks)
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone for the help. I went out yesterday to guitar center and walked out with an
Epiphone PR-150
The only problem iv'e had is it seems like it won't hold a tune and i broke the high E this morning.
I'm sure the broken string was my bad on the tuning. Any tips on holding a tune?
If its just not fixable i'll deal with it until i step up to another guitar, if ever.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Tune from below the note you want rather than above, as strings will in general hold their tension for longer afterwards, all else being equal. (Don't ask me why, something to do with the gears on the tuning peg I think :))

Make sure there's about three turns of string around the tuning peg - any less and the string might be slipping. Remember also that new strings will stretch-in a little until they've been played a good while. You can speed this up by stretching them in place by pulling them away from the neck body a few times and retuning. Come to think of it, your guitar's just come from one fairly constant environment to another, it might be that the guitar's settling in a bit too if the temp/humidity/etc is different.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@dennisf6)
Trusted Member

My PR-150 holds tune quite well - better than my electrics for some reason. So it's probably not the guitar (although low priced guitars probably don't have great quality controls so one may vary significantly from another). At any rate, Misanthrope's suggestions are good.
I also broke the high E string on mine the second day I had it. I think the strings that were on it were just old. In my case, a new set of strings was needed and really helped. I'd suggest that, if you haven't already.

If you need help on how to change strings -
http://www.justinguitar.com/html/YouTube_html/youtube_lessons.html
or
https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/stringing-and-cleaning-your-guitar/

I want to play guitar very badly -
and I do!

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

I'm sure that by now you've already bought your guitar. My first acoustic was a Washburn D10S, and I was very pleased with it I sold it after 2 years to a friend and he was quite happy with it. I now have the 12 string version of the same guitar. Anyway some years back I wanted to buy a Washburn F10S (smaller version) and couldn't find one anywhere, so I opted for a Seagull S6+folk which was simply fantastic. Now my son decided he wants to learn guitar so I bought a Wshburn F11CS for him which he'll get for Christmas, only played it for a few minutes but it sounds good has surprising sustain and looks quite nice with Ash sides and back and cedar top. You can probably see that for some reason I like Washburns for beginners.

ReplyQuote