Notifications
Clear all

My First Amp Advice

37 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Some weeks ago I went with a friend to buy him his first guitar/amp. The choice was between the Spider3, Cube30 and AD30 as well. The Spider3 was, in our opinion, by far the worst. It looks nice, and has pretty lights, but it's responsiveness blows. The cube and AD are both excellent, with the cube being best in ultra-cleans and hi-gain, with the vox being best in 'warm cleans' and bluesy/rock sounds. He went with the Vopx, as did I. But both are great amps for the price.

ReplyQuote
(@triple_c)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Now you've gone and gotten my expectations up, so if this is anything but the best, someone will pay :twisted:

Triple_C

ReplyQuote
(@benpari)
Eminent Member

I personaly own a VOX AD15VT. One of my friends also owns one.

It is the best sounding 15 watt amp I have ever played. Infact nothing else has come close(this doesnt mean I didnt think marshal half stacks didnt sound better...).

You can reach a pretty wide variety of sounds on it.

I was also going to buy a Spider 3, I played one in a guitar center while I was on vacation and it didnt sound good in any way shape or form.....the concept was good though.....

My only complaint about the VOX is that the headphone/line out jack sounds like shit.

My amp is used I am told it is a few years old, but hardly played, it works fine. If someone didnt already tell you the warm up is about 4-7 seconds.

ReplyQuote
(@triple_c)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, the Vox AD15VT just keeps looking better and better
I REALLY need to try this out :twisted:

Triple_C

ReplyQuote
(@dennisf6)
Trusted Member

Any chance you can go up in price to the AD30VT? Looks like it's about $50 more.

You might not need the extra power but, ironically, this model plays at low volumes better than the AD15VT.
The difference is that the 30 has a variable power control. You can set it to run with only one watt or so, then crank up the gain and get nice distortion at low volumes. With the 15 the only way to get real, overdrive distortion (as opposed to digitally modeled distortion) is to play REALLY loud. Really loud might be ok for you if you don't have any housemates and your neighbors live far away, but that isn't the case for most of us.

You won't be unhappy with either the Roland or Vox 15 watt amps but if you can afford the extra price, the AD30VT is a really great practice amp!

I want to play guitar very badly -
and I do!

ReplyQuote
(@triple_c)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

The 30W version is £40 ($80) more than the 15w version. So it really is too expensive for me

Thanks though

Dennis, what is that guitar? (not the 51)

Triple_C

ReplyQuote
(@dennisf6)
Trusted Member

Dennis, what is that guitar? (not the 51)

That's an Ibanez Artcore AS83.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-AS83-SemiHollow-Electric-Guitar?sku=519764
Got it used for only $249. Looks brand new and plays great.

I want to play guitar very badly -
and I do!

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3