Clear all

My kids got me a guitar for Christmas!

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Just what I needed .... one more! Woooo Hooo! It's a Fernandes Monteray. It's their made in China model, Musicians Friend had them on clearance. $99 for a $300 guitar. Can't go wrong. Well, you could if you paid the $300 cause for that kind of cash it would be weak to borderline, but for $99 it rocks. Switchcraft style togle (like I like) and a Nashville style bridge. The bridge is a little cheap but I don't know that replacement is as much of an option as with my other LP style guitars. This one is a small bushing model and the hardware is a graphite color. I got it intonated and it works, just could be better quality. The tuners ore OK. They are Grover knockoffs and are passable. The frets are large and the neck is buzz free. No binding and just a hint of roughness on the fret edges. They don't cut you but if you try real hard you can find an unsmooth edge. The pickups are hot and sound really good. They appear to be Dimarzio Super Distortion knockoffs. (The pole pieces are hex key style) The pots are smooth and the knobs are metal and attach with allen screws. I'll try and put a few pics here. It is a Spinal Tap model ........ "None more black". :lol:

What does everyone think? Oh ... and does it qualify for my "Show us your Les Pauls" thread?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Cool....good kids

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

It"s sharp - I like it! I must have missed that one...I visit MF daily. Was it on the "Stupid deal of the day" I wonder...

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

All I can say is, rock on kids! It might not be the greatest guitar ever made, but it's a bit special because a lot of thought went into it...they bought something they knew you'd appreciate. Priceless, as they used to say on the AMEX ads!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Simplicity as an art form. I love it. Congrats! :D

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

It"s sharp - I like it! I must have missed that one...I visit MF daily. Was it on the "Stupid deal of the day" I wonder...
It was wierd. If you clicked on any of the links for specials and such they didn't show up, but if you went to 6 string electric guitars and select view lowest to highest price there they were. They had 4 different models but they went fast and are gone now. When I found them I just started E-Mailing links to the kids. :lol: The unique shaped one in green was sold out by the time they pulled the trigger so it was up to ThunderFingers to make the decision. He didn't see me playing a "V" and the other one was PRS looking and very similar to a guitar I traded so he went with the Monteray, a Les Paulish shape and configuration.

I played it last night when ThunderFingers and I had one of our practices and it sounds incredible. I've got it setup so it plays real nice now as well.

PS: Just need to add, I don't need it of course but this guitar came with a little booklet that has the most complete setup and usage guide I have ever seen come with a guitar. It addressed action, pickup height, truss rod adjustment, what knob controlls what, tuning with instructions on using a digital tuner, pitch pipe or tuning it against itself ....... It would be invaluable to a beginner. More companies should do this.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

PS: Just need to add, I don't need it of course but this guitar came with a little booklet that has the most complete setup and usage guide I have ever seen come with a guitar. It addressed action, pickup height, truss rod adjustment, what knob controlls what, tuning with instructions on using a digital tuner, pitch pipe or tuning it against itself ....... It would be invaluable to a beginner. More companies should do this.
This is the worst industry for owners' manuals going. Fortunately enough, I picked this guitar thing up when manuals could be gotten online.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

HNGD!!!!

I hope it brings you pleasure for many years to come.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote