Clear all

My Rocking Adventures (A humorous story) Part two

14 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@classico)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi everyone! it's really been a long time since the first one but i'm sure you handled the seperation well :D
I want to start and say that this is an adventure that i went on to boarden my musical horizon, and after some things happened i decided it could be fun to write it out in a Humorous way and ask for some advice along the way, i really hope you'll enjoy it and express your opinion about how i should act next.
Oh, and you can check out part one if you like (it'll be a bit less understandable if you don't but...)

that's the URL
http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36898&p=339840&hilit=rocking+adventures#p339840

OK, here we go:

Part Two
Well, last time you guys said i should join the better band so i did :D
i came to the first Rehearsal, carrying my big brother's guitar in a large black case and feeling, well, kind of a stage fright.
I got into the room where everyone looked at me with s,iling faces saying "welcome" and "let's have fun" but all i could think was "they're happy now but what's gonna happen when i pull out my brother's antique guitar (and when i say antique i mean older then me)
when i played that guitar at home on my practice amp it sounded more like i'm playing a cat then a guitar! it was butifull but sounded like hell...

after a few moments the other guitarist (plays a fender strat) comes to me and sayes "let's see your guitar man"
everyone comes and stands around me as i put down the solid case and open the locks... better to get it over with fast, like a bandage i told myself... i opened the case and closed my eyes waiting for the other guys to laugh or make a funny comment or something, but i hear nothing... silence... i look up to see the faces of my new band... "wow" says the guitarist
"what?" i ask, expecting the blow, and then...
"She's a buety..."
"huh?"
"yea man, how could you have that laying around under your bad and not play it?" asks my friend the drummer
"uh....not play this?..." i reply cautiously
and then i felt like an idiot, because that old antique really WAS an antique, it's a Gibson Les Paul Custom Deluxe and the reason it sounded bad was because my amp.... turns out it's considered a good guitar :D and it is! i played it on a fender R212 amp and it sounded so good :shock: turns out the speaker in my amp was torn and i don't know anything about elecric guitars so...

anyway the rest of the rehearsal went well, we played david bowie's Star man and it was really fun, the other guitarist really knows what he's doin and i learned alot so thanks for encourging my to join these guys.

a few days later my big brother came home from his appartment and brought with him an amplifier, a really big one, and then left to california to learn art.

when i came home and saw the amp i was thrilled, it's great and sounds wonderful with the gibson.

now, do you remember the other guys i played with last time, my beginner friends? i came to another rehearsal but with them this time.

before i came to the rehearsal i went to the music store where the salsman laughed at me for my broken nail last time and purchesed a metronom (thanks to kent for his advice) so after the salsman laughed at me again for needing a metronom i went to rehearsal.

when i got in the room and showed everyone the metronom the bassist quit the band immeadeatly out of sheer shame :?
so we are now me, another guitarist, a keyboardist and a drummer.
we all picked out our instruments and got ready to play when we suddnly realised that... well... we don't really know any songs :?
I have to tell you that being the most expierienced person in the room can be fun, but only if you actually know what you're doing. :(
we sat for 15 minutes trying to figure out which song we can play, we needed something easy that has all of the instruments in the band... and we didn't find it :cry:
after a few more amberessing minutes i had an idea, i told them how to play a 12 bar blues (i know how to because the guitarist in the good band showed me) and we had a little jam session, it turned out nice (that metronom is CRUCIAL :shock: they can't hold a rythem...)

that's it! thank you for reading this far! (you are probobly the only one to fo so 8) ) as you might have guessed i need song suggestions for the beginners :) anything goes (tabs chords just suggestions, really anything)

and another thing, the amp i have now is... unidentified :? i looked it up online but i didn't find anything so if someone can shed some light on this amp it would be really nice, here are the things i could get off him:

it's a Kamen Matrix MA100SC
it has two input jacks (one is labled high, the other low, please tell me what that means :( )
two sets of Gain/Volume (divided as channels A and B) knobs and a channel switch (why two channels?)
A four way Equelizer- the knobs go (high - Mid - Low - Presence) (what the %@$# is presence? :? )
A reverb knob
and two chorus knobs (Depth - Length) (wtf? :| )
if can help me decipher this amp i would greatly appriciate it :D

please tell me if you found it as amusing as i did :D i'm sorry for the langth, if enough people want to i'll keep on going with these posts (and i guarentee theyll be shorter :P ) so please tell me what's your thoughts, if you don't think it's interesting please tell me as well and i'll stop it. (the next one is really gonna be shorter :mrgreen: )
as always i am very open to any suggestions, comments, criticisem etc.

Yours With my Semi understandable (israeli-style) Humor
Classico

(@musicfreak14)

Hola. Just a few things:

1) If it's worth anything, I like the "stories" and find them entertaining. :mrgreen:

2) I'm seriously jealous of your guitar :wink:

3) Sorry, can't help you with your amp problem :oops:

4) As for your not-so-expert beginner band...I'd say start of with something REALLY easy...maybe Iron Man by Black Sabbath? Although I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a keyboard part. (Talk the keyboardist into playing bass :P :lol: j/k but Who knows she/he might like it, I think it's pretty fun :P )

GOod Luck and Happy Playing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

I did'int think it was that long :D I like your storys keep making them man :D

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

and another thing, the amp i have now is... unidentified :? i looked it up online but i didn't find anything so if someone can shed some light on this amp it would be really nice, here are the things i could get off him:

it's a Kamen Matrix MA100SC
it has two input jacks (one is labled high, the other low, please tell me what that means :( )
two sets of Gain/Volume (divided as channels A and B) knobs and a channel switch (why two channels?)
A four way Equelizer- the knobs go (high - Mid - Low - Presence) (what the %@$# is presence? :? )
A reverb knob
and two chorus knobs (Depth - Length) (wtf? :| )
if can help me decipher this amp i would greatly appriciate it :D

Classico

OK, so on the amp. I could not find jack-squat on it anywhere. I would post a seperate query in the amplication section. There are a few there who might be able to assist you. Other than that, I can try to get you started.

RE: Two Input Jacks. My Fenders have the same thing, but labled 1 and 2. 1 is for regular passive pickup'd guitars and 2 is for "active" picked up guitars....like some EMGs. So, you gibby would go in low, I think. Unless, they're wanting the high output pickups to go low, then you go high. You can try them both. It'll be like with the FM212R you played on. Plug it into 1 and everything sounds OK. Plug it into 2 and it's, I dunno, muffled maybe.

RE: Two Channels. One should be for a clean setting and one should be for distortion. Each area should have a volume control and the distortion chanel will have the gain control. You combine the amount of gain with the volume to get the tone you want.

RE: Chorus. No clue on this one, bro.

RE: Presense: I misplaced my fender blues deluxe manual that described it a bit. I think what it does is adjust the overall tone somehow, with the highs, I think, to not really be louder, but to be more clearly heard. I hope someone has a better description.

I'd also suggest, for the inexperienced group, that they each pick out an easy song, bring copies for everyone, and spend some time working on each one's song. That'll get you to a start.

keep on getting on, man!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Always good to hear stories, keep going :)

As for presence, I think it's just a boost/cut of certain frequency band given a fancy name because it works on our perceptions a little differently, but don't quote me. Do what I do for gettign to grips with new dials - Turn it all the way down and play, then turn it all the way up and play, the difference you hear is all you need to know ;)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

Keep the stories coming!

And i want your guitar man! Might have to save up and buy one of the classics!

David

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Wish I had a crappy old guitar like that. :P You really didn't realise what you had there? Amazing. :? Good luck, sounds like you are having fun.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@jerboa)
Estimable Member

First, I've loved reading your story so far. :D

For easy songs, have you thought about getting a Beatles songbook?

It might not be your/their taste in music, but Beatles songs are pretty easy, and catchy.

And that beginner group has everything you need to play anything. A keyboard is amazingly versatile! It can double as bass, rhythm, or lead. So I wouldn't look for things that include everything, just songs that are within the group's abilities. :)

(Now if I could only get off my keister and learn a few songs myself!)

There are two kinds of people in this world:
Those who think there are two kinds of people in this world, and those who don't

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

This explains the chorus effect but the best explanation is to listen to it . It is a very pleasing effect . The depth knob will increase/decrease the pitch variation and the length knob will vary the delay time .

The chorus effect is used to make a single person's voice sound like multiple voices saying or singing the same thing, i.e. make a soloist into a chorus. It is also used with musical instruments .The effect is a type of delay — the original signal is duplicated and played at varying lengths and pitches. This creates the effect of multiple sources, as each source is very slightly out of time and tune (just as in real life). Technically, a chorus is similar to a flanger.

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@ksac32)
Reputable Member

Cool story-Dont believe those guys about the guitar-if your embarassed :oops: by it send it to me and ill send you a new Squier!! :lol:
anything to help :D

http://www.soundclick.com/kensacco
http://www.soundclick.com/thetools

ReplyQuote
(@classico)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks for all the help :D much appriciated!
the amp walktrough was great i now control it a bit better 8)
i'll try getting the keyboard player to play bass, it's a good idea. and iron man is too.
i'll update you about what happens next when it'll happen :) in the meanwhile i need more easy songs for the novice band so if you have any ideas they're very welcome :mrgreen:

thx again
classico

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

What kind of tunes yooze guys into?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@classico)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

well, i'm not so sure this early... i know what direction i want to go to but i'm not sure the others will follow... i guess we'll just play anything we can for now :P
personally i'm really into prog rock (Emerson Lake and Palmer, Yes, Genesis and some of the Dream Theater stuff... 8) ) but i think it's too hard for us

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I've only played one song from that group of bands you listed. It's Lucky Man, and I only do the strummy version. Here's a thread from a couple of years ago. https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20489 Might be a little slow for your tastes though?

Some other decently easy ones to play under the category of Rock and "we'll just play anything we can for now".

Breakdown - Tom Petty
Mary Jane's Last Dance - Tom Petty

Some open-g songs by the Stones like Happy, Start Me Up and Honky Tonk Woman. (Don't let open-g scare anyone off. It's easy to do and fun)

A popular easy song in Power Chord land is Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Other than that, you might look through the Easy Song index below the Guitar Player Discussion section for some ideas. Some of them are a little more difficult than others as many of us have posted som good next-step-up-from-easy things to share. Still, I'm sure there will be some in there that will work for you.

Roy

ReplyQuote