my rocking adventures (part one)

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@classico)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi everyone, i hope all is well.
please read this one, it's not as heavy as most of my stuff,(i know it's long but it's entertaining(i think :? ))
enjoy!

Part one.
i'm kind of new around here so most of you probably don't know me, i'm classico :D , and as the name suggests i play classic guitar (oh, i should post a picture, i play a NEW, beutiful classic guitar made by Emilio Burguet in spain from indian rosewood and white cedar...sry :mrgreen: got carried away) well anyway, i play classic guitar and i really want to boarden my musical horizons by joining a band and getting out of the classical bubble, in short, i want to play some rock before i'm old... (i'm now 17) the problem is that until a couple of days ago i never even touched an electric guitar and no band wants a classical player... :cry:

so i picked up an electric guitar (an old, OLD, gibson les-paul deluxe model white no effects to go with it) and started to play some smoke on the water, fairly easy comperd to trio in A minor by vivaldi right? not really, and why? because i play only fingerstyle, i strummed a few bars and broke my nail :cry: (only a real man can grow nails and be proud of them, and so it hurts...)
so i had to pick up a pick, but i didn't have any at home so i went to the store where the salsman laughed at me openly about my broken nail... un-fun...

soon after that expirience i found myself pickless again because as i strummed smoke on the water my pick fell under the sofa... again, un-fun...

a few days later i had the pick thing figuerd out (approximatly) so i talked to one of my friend who plays drums and he said i should come and play with them, i thought "what's the worst right?" so i went.

well, the worst turns out to be a live jam in front of 15 people who i don't know (friends of the band) to see if i can play with them... i know my scales so it wasn't all bad but i never played with a band before and it was very emberesing to play in front of 15 people on my first time :oops: plus, these guys were much, MUCH, better then me.

the next day i went to another friend of mine who just started playing piano and we played together, it was much more relaxed and easy but i really didn't find it as exiting and scary as playing with the better players...

later that day my friend from the band told me i'm in, but i don't know whay i should do :? should i go play with the guys who are better then me? or is it better to start playing with bigginer players to build up confidance?

that's my story, the begining of it at least. i hope you found it entertaining (if you did please let me know :D )
i'm planning to continue posting stuff as they happen and tell you guys how i'm doing :D (if you think i shouldn't and it's boring please tell me so i can stop before i emberess myself more then i already did :oops: )

as this things are for real, i'm very (VERY) open for suggestions about what to work on and where to go next in order to progress my adventure 8)

yours with great hope that you found this amusing (as i did)

Classico

(@benpari)
Eminent Member

I take ever chance I get to play with more experienced players. The worst that could happen is that you learn something from them(well maybe worse things could happen...). Also, nothing says you cant play with 2 different groups of people.

By the way, you should start working on alternate picking immediately. The book Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar by troy stetina should help you out with your right hand a lot.

Anyways, just remember that having fun is the most important part of all of this.

ReplyQuote
(@progressions)
Reputable Member

Absolutely play with people who are better than you! That's the best motivation to improve, and the best opportunity for learning. What's the alternative, play with people who are worse? :)

Also, probably buy more than one pick at a time :)

Isaac Priestley: World Racketeering Squad
http://www.progressions.org/
http://www.youtube.com/worldracketeer

ReplyQuote
(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member

All I can add to this is that picks come in 12-packs for a reason. :)

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

It sounds like you had a fun day :lol: frist trim your finger nails then buy 3 packs of picks( Light,Medim,Hevey)to find out witch ones you like.And that all that I can think of hope it all go's well

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

play without a pick. watching crossroads 2007 hardly anybody used a pick.
you will get the hang of using a pick. in fact, you may bring something new to it.
and do join the band. playing with others is huge for improving. that will happen fast too.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@classico)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks everybody, it's really nice that you took the time to hear me out, i was afraid it was too bloggy :? (like internet blogs) but the intention is to make a fun story out of my expiriences and i hope it went well.

i think i'll join the band and see what happens, it's just that i played with my less expierienced friends and we had a terrible tempo melfunction (the bass player kept going faster until everybody just stopped playing, the bassist didn't even notice everyone was looking at him and went speeding on... :roll: we all got up and he was left there alone, over speeding to this very minute...)

thanks for the tips, if anyone thinks i should continue posting these please let me know cus' i don't want to emberess myself with something that's not right for this forum.
please understand that i only seek some advice and i thought it would be fun to give you a situation to solve and not just a stand-alone qustion...

yours with my semi-understandable (low class :P ) humor

classico

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

i think i'll join the band and see what happens, it's just that i played with my less expierienced friends and we had a terrible tempo melfunction (the bass player kept going faster until everybody just stopped playing, the bassist didn't even notice everyone was looking at him and went speeding on... :roll: we all got up and he was left there alone, over speeding to this very minute...)

Get a metronome. One with a flashing light ('cause you won't hear the click over the sound of a rock band).
Put it where the whole band can see it.
i don't want to emberess myself with something that's not right for this forum.
please understand that i only seek some advice and i thought it would be fun to give you a situation
yours with my semi-understandable (low class :P ) humor

classico
You 're fine.
Feel free to stick around and keep posting (not that you need my say-so)

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Post like this are interesting because you learn about a person and their experiences. Keep them coming. +1 on buying lots of picks.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@benpari)
Eminent Member

Your posts actually inspired me to more seriously seek out other people to play with, so its definitely fine.

Buy a lot of picks, the last time I was at the local music store I bought a really significant amount of picks and now I have them everywhere, its very helpful.

ReplyQuote
(@classico)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone i'm really glad you liked it :D

i'm working on a part two so look it up in a couple of days 8)

ReplyQuote