Clear all

Name the band contest! - updated list Jan 29

17 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Well, my band has been going under the name "What About Jim." But it started back when it was just me and my buddy playing guitar together. He was remodeling his basement, and they had to constantly ask the question "what about Jim" when making design decisions. You see, I am 6'7" tall, so I require a lot of head room. And part of the idea of the remodel was for him and I to have a place to play guitar and hang out at his house. Well, the question was asked so many times that it eventually became what we decided to call ourselves.

Now that there are three other members, we decided it would be fair to open it up so everyone gets to have some input. Especially since we are still new and there is no name recognition to worry about at this point.

We are a blues/ classic rock (Eagles, CCR, Dire Straits, etc) and we are starting to write a few originals. We are pretty laid back and like to just play and have a good time.

Here is a list of suggested names so far:

1. What About Jim
2. Me And The Band
3. Key You In (phenetic pronounciation of a Chineese tattoo I have which means "Energy Source" or "Spirit Origin." It basically represents the feeling you get when you are in tune with yourself, family, band and audience. It's the feeling of energy you feel when you hear a song you really like, when your favorite sports team wins a championship or when you just found out that you are getting a raise, promotion, married, baby, etc. I think it would actually be spelled in English chi'yuin. Anyway, the other guitar player and myself got matching tattoo's to celebrate the musical journey we have shared.)
4. Spikes in the Bushes
5. Dusty Sombreros (The Dali Lima)
6. Whole Lotta Nothin (The Dali Lima)
7. Big Easy (The Dali Lima)
8. The Wharfrats (The Dali Lima)
9. Shadow Classic (Reincarnate)
10. Point of Origin (Reincarnate)
11. Full Cicle (Reincarnate)
12. LightWaves (Reincarnate)
13. The Dancing Gophers! (Crank-N-Jam)
14. The Moonlight Stalkers (Barnabus Rock)
15. Dead Fish Action (NEZTOK)
16. The Artificial Screams (NEZTOK)
17. Dead Fish Action and the Artificial Screams (NEZTOK)
18. haircut (Barnabus Rock)

"I like Key You In.

It has kind of a triple meaning, with "key" being a musical term, "key you in" as in a lock and a key--like letting you in to the inner circle, and then the Chinese chi'yuin meaning of the spirit energy or being in harmony with your world.

Key You In is unique and easy to remember--a winner IMO.

Margaret"

19. Jymnastic (Chris C)
20. Or maybe shorten 'Key You In' to - KEOO. Shorter, punchier, and has that 'backstory' for the fans to know. Easier to write on a drum kit too... (Chris C)
21. What About Them (Eirraca)
22. Silk Walkers (Eirraca)

In addition there were 4 votes for “What About Jim” and two votes for “Key You In.”

We are looking for more ideas. Please help. My wife is a very talented hair stylist and is offering a free haircut (or $20.00 off for the ladies) for anyone who selects the winning name. Of course, you'll have to come to Michigan for the service or just happen to catch us in your area.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!!! :P

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I kinda like "What About Jim" ... :)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Love the thread.

Hmmm... we had a thread on this site that people posted what they would to name their band... a lot of cool names out there...

A couple to think about:

-Dusty Sombreros
-Whole Lotta Nothin
-Big Easy
-The Wharfrats

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

My suggestions, they are probably all rubbish but what they hey!

Shadow Classic
Point of Origin
Full Cicle
LightWaves

Good luck finding your name!

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Great suggestions guys! I will continue to add these to the list.

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

The Dancing Gophers! :)

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

This came to as I read this thread

"The Moonlight Stalkers"

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

This came to as I read this thread

"The Moonlight Stalkers"

I thought that was inspired by your recent "visitor." By the way, if you win we could let you transfer the haircut to a family member. There's a chance I may actually be in Australia sometime this year on business. The wife's not making the trip (I don't think, anyway) but I could probably handle your hair stlye - it's the same as mine, so I've had practice. :)

LOL at "The Dancing Gophers" My wife says that I actually dance like that.

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

haircut

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I kinda like "What About Jim" ... :)

Me too

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

I like Key You In.

It has kind of a triple meaning, with "key" being a musical term, "key you in" as in a lock and a key--like letting you in to the inner circle, and then the Chinese chi'yuin meaning of the spirit energy or being in harmony with your world.

Key You In is unique and easy to remember--a winner IMO.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Jymnastic.

Or maybe shorten 'Key You In' to - KEOO.

Shorter, punchier, and has that 'backstory' for the fans to know. Easier to write on a drum kit too... :P

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

Jymnastic.

Or maybe shorten 'Key You In' to - KEOO.

Shorter, punchier, and has that 'backstory' for the fans to know. Easier to write on a drum kit too... :P
guess thats why U2 came about lol

five piece?.........US5 :roll:

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

guess thats why U2 came about lol

And INXS. 8) Took me a few reads of that name before I twigged that it stood for "In excess" not "Inks"....doh...... :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

inxs......fine band from your part of the world chris

never did get my belt back off Hutchence (sorry) :roll:

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2