Clear all

Nashville Star

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@ginger)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Anybody been watching Nashville Star? Who is your fav? Mine is Shawn Mayer. She is sooo coool. I watched from when she first came on the show all shy and timid and never smiled, now look at her, how she has grown and matured as an artis in such a short time! She lived in a town of 45 people, they took her back there to have a Hometown concert...She drew 6,000 freakin' people!

That is AWESOME!

How cool would it be to have that oppurtunity!

*(thinks hmmm, I might just tryout for that next year...hahahahHAHA who am I kidding!):D

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I have stumbled on to nashville three times this season. I have no idea which names go to which performer. in fact, I was unsure who the judges were.
one episode the judges performed. the woman, Jewel, was just terrible. she could not hit the notes and sort of did not try. the Big and Rich guy can sing, but I don't take country boys seriously when they are wearing a Flying V guitar. give me a break.
the other guy is a songwriter, I never expected him to be able to sing and he couldn't.
so the judges did bad.
the contestants....I can't keep the names and faces placed. there is a huge stand out IMO. a woman, she has a sweet face and is rather large. she sings with power and delicacy. the song she wrote and performed was true country. she is a hit with me.
what a voice.
Ginger, I have a feeling we're speaking of the same person.

ps..I just noticed the flying V style guitar in your sig...you ain't gonna play some country are you?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Oh great another freaking star search, what ever happened to working hard and then get discovered?

Or working your behind off and never being discovered? For every great guitar player that's made it, there are literally hundreds who haven't - seems all the producers/judges want is either a pretty young girl who can sing a little, or a handsome young lad with a modicum of talent. Or better still, for their POV, several of each that they can lump together into a boy band or girl group. And they don't want rockers, or blues guitarists - all they want is a pretty face to churn out a series of cheesy ballads and rake in the cash from the teenyboppers and the mums.
I'm sorry for being synical but I hate these kinds of shows.

You are NOT alone!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

Well I haven't seen Nashville star because I just don't get around to watching much TV. I do have to say, though, what Derek and Vic are talking about is one of the reasons why I like country music. You don't have to be young and pretty to make it. There are lots of older artists there and while a lot of the new people are young and pretty a lot of them are also are good musicians and songwriters as well. Miranda Lambert comes to mind who actually was on Nashville Star and Taylor Swift is a musician/singer songwriter of all of 17 or 18 years old.
They don't just get on stage, wiggle their bodies and lip-synch like many pop acts do.

I can't speak for what they do on the show though as I haven't seen it and I have heard that this year is not very good compared to years past when it was on TNN.
And hey, if I thought I had talent and getting on one of those shows might get me discovered I sure wouldn't pass up the chance. I don't think it's fair to make a blanket statement and criticize all those who get their start on something like that just because they haven't "paid their dues" for years like others have. People who do that (Faith Hill at Carrie Underwood, for example) are just jealous.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

it's true about being older and gigging country. geezers like me have two choices gigging 60's rock or country.
in any given small town with a bar , you'll be hearing live country and early rock. old folks in the band and older folks dancing.
cool.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

...I don't take country boys seriously when they are wearing a Flying V guitar. give me a break.
Watched a couple of hours of videos on CMT a few days ago. Didn't see very many Teles. Saw a zillion Les Pauls, Flying Vs and the like. Heavy on the Gibson styles. (They're the home town guitar maker in Nashville.) At least half the videos had some bottleneck slide in them. Steel guitars were in a minority. Resonators, not Dobros but things like National Style Os, are showing up. There's a video by Sugarland being played heavily in the rotation that uses one as a major prop. I don't think it's the slide guitar heard in the song, though. Oh, and the familiar sounds of Hammond organs through Leslies are commonly heard now, since the emulations have gotten so good on electronic keyboards. You NEVER heard Hammond in old country.

Country music today is largely good old rock. Pretty good stuff for the most part. Not a lot of stuff that I'd've recognized as country music 30 years ago, but mighty familiar to a '70s rocker.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

You know Vic, your are so right, That's why music has taken a total dive lately and I wish it was still the 70's - 80's -90's because they actually had bands that actually worked hard together to get where they are or bluesmen who knew their craft so well. I wish true music would come back and have some killer tones and bands I could get excited about again.

I've heard this complaint every decade -- starting in the latter half of the 70s, so I'm somewhat skeptical of it's truth. But no matter whose subjectivity is closer to the collective reality, recording, self-publishing and self-promotion have never been easier than right now. Sure, lots of competition, but if someone has something to say and a genuine talent for saying it in music, then get it out there. People are waiting. If it's truly the good stuff, someone will notice.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I agree with Greg for the most part - there's always some good new music coming out, it's just knowing where to look and listen. But the thing that strikes me about the pop idol/star search shows is that no matter how talented the singers are, they always sound like clones of each other by the time the producers/musical directors have finished with them, and they always end up doing the same - well, cheesy ballads I called them earlier, and that's how they always come across to me. Take Leona Lewis for example - the girl can sing, that's for sure, but the people behind her want to turn her into a simpering Whitney Houston clone instead of letting her be herself. It didn't hurt her sales figures - but just for once, I'd love to see one of those singers with a little attitude - "**** you, I'm NOT singing anything of Celine Dion's....or Whitney's ... or Janet Jackson's....or....."

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

ps..I just noticed the flying V style guitar in your sig...you ain't gonna play some country are you?

HAHAHA no sweety, just a couple songs, I'm more of an acoustic rock type girl. I do own an eletric and I sometimes will play some stuff like Tool, or System of a down or Staind and Nickleback.

As far as the comments about the contestants not working their butts off, they didn't just wake up a couple months ago and go gee i think i'll go sing on nashville star. Everyone of these finallist have been doing the bar scene stuff.

That is correct about the judges though, had they been contestants they would all have been elliminated that night!

I do not like American idiot...i mean idol. The only talent search show I have watched is the nashville star.

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

You are right, they've usually paid their dues before getting on the show. A friend of mine was on the 2nd season of Nashville Star (Lance Miller, he came in 4th) and he had been playing, touring and recording for years. He definitely paid his dues. He recently released his major label debut, 3 or 4 years after the show.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote