Skip to content
Neck vs Bridge Pick...

Notifications
Clear all

Neck vs Bridge Pickup - Which do you use/why?

50 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
29 K Views
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I just had this conversation with Wes last week as we were messing around together.

Which pick up do you use. Personally I only use the bridge pick since I can't stand the sound of the neck pick ups in my Strat or Jackson. They just sound muffled and weak. They don't sound good to me at all.

What does everyone else use most of the time, especially those that play outside the confines of their home?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I play at home and use the neck pickup of my LP mainly. I like the tone with that pickup when I use a lot of mids in the amp and the clean channel.

Sometimes I use the bridge pickup, usually on depending the song or type of effect I want to achieve. It is a different sound. I also play both but rarely.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I'm usually on the bridge pick up for crunch but often switch to the neck pick up for clearer trebles and more resonant lows.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I just had this conversation with Wes last week as we were messing around together.

:shock:

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Neck, as my current fav guitar only has a neck pup. :P Love the sound though, usually the bridge is too spikey and trebly for me, I got plenty of that from the coin I use as pick.

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

now thats making use of your spare change lol

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hmmm Muse that's funny cuz it's the opposite of what I hear when I use the neck pickup it's really almost muffled and it makes all the frequencies sound off.

Now I will admit since I haven't played out I don't pay attention to my tone enough and since Wes has been coming over he's really helped sahped my sound tremendously. I'll have to go back and check out the neck pickup again.

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

I have dual HBs on my main guitar and tend to use the neck HB 9 times out of ten. For more 'chordy' type things I'll switch to both pickups. I seldom use the bridge pickup on its own.
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

The neck pick up on my LP is out right now actually, not sure why, havn't had time to get it fixed. so I mainly use the bridge pick up, but really, before it stopped working, the neck was the only one I'd use. Much fatter, smoother tone out of it. The bridge pick up is more harsh and crunchier. I make do though, turn the tone down a bit on it, etc.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I should have made a poll out of this because I would have expected the exact opposite. To me the neck pick ups have no you know what's to them and the sound is not that good.

It's interesting to hear the exact opposite from most of you. I'll wait and see if any other people chim in.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Maybe you need to play with the pickup height? Or get new neck pups ...

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If I'm playing chords, I'll generally use the p/u switch in the middle setting. For lead, mostly the bridge p/u. For slide, it depends whether I want a mellower tone for blues - neck - or a harsher, crunchier sound - bridge. 99% of the time I'll be playing with distortion, though - my acoustic's for clean!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

slej,

I don't think so I did think of that but it's every guitar I've ever played. If Wes looks at this maybe he can comment but I think he felt the same way but I could be wrong.

It may be a little more pronounced with my Strat and I haven't played the Jackson in awhile cuz I hate the Floyd Rose so I'll have to check again.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

It may be a question of how we're describing the sound rather than a question of what we're hearing. The bridge pick up has a lot more crunch and that may be why you're describing the neck pick up as thinner. It is, but it's also more resonant and carries more treble overtones, I think. If I'm doing a bluesy solo, I almost always switch to the neck. But it is mellower as well.

(It's like trying to describe the bouquet of a good wine, isn't it?)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Cnev: Check this: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=361288&songID=5540502

The first (mellow) part is with treble/presence at 5. The second part is with treble and presence at 2. Notice how in the first part the 'cruncy piercy' thing happens when I hit the string harder while it gets darker warmer when played more softly. Pickup hight has a somewhat similar effect. And yeah, the tone here is a bit dark but with the treble open I'd guarantee you your ears would bleed.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4