Clear all

Need Advice On Pedal, Amp and Guitar

19 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@sledneck)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hello, I just joined and I've been playing for about a week now, yes I suck, I know but I am saving my money so that if I ever get better I have some money to put towards new equipment.

Right now I have an Washburn Oscar Schmidt guitar and amp(5watts). I was looking at the line6 SpiderIII 75 watt amp, I was wondering if it is a good amp, and I also like that it has 400 preset sounds. Heres the link to the amp: http://line6.com/spideriii/75.html
I was also looking at the Jam as well: http://line6.com/spiderjam/ The background tracks sound cool to me, since I am in no way near good enough to play with others.

Onto the pedal, so I was looking at the digitech RP250 pedal: http://www.digitech.com/products/RP_newpgs/rp250.htm I love the idea that you can download new sounds that someone comes up with.

Now for the important question, since the amp would already have preset sounds, would the pedal work with it? I'm guessing yes unless you have the pedal set to a certain sound and the amp to some other kind of sound. If the amp has no sounds on then the pedal should work fine, correct?

Now onto guitars... theres a cool looking white one at my local music store...but I need some advice on what to look at in a good guitar preferably in the $300-$400(CAD) range. What brands are good? Does number of frets mean that much?

Any help would be great,
Thanks
Adam

(@sledneck)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well does anyone have an idea where I could find out? Since no-one seems to know?

ReplyQuote
(@beaner)
Estimable Member

Hiya Adam,

My advice in a limited capacity would be this. Stick with the Washburn OS guitar, they are a pretty good guitar for the money (try doing a search on here, there are quite a few guys who own one). Buy an amp something along the lines of a Epiphone Valve Junior Combo, and get any of the DigiTech pedals. They are all great value for money. I personally don't like the Spider amps, they are just a bit too quick and dirty.

That's my opinion, but I haven't asked what sort of sound you might be after.

Regards,
Paul

ReplyQuote
(@sledneck)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, now could I get a link with info on that amp, and I've read around the forums that the spider II sucked now have they fixed the spider III or does it suck as well?

Now as for sound goes many different sounds from slipknot to guns and roses pretty much anything, I pretty much got the guitar to have fun with not just to stick with one type of sound... for now that is mabey later on a while down the road I may change my mind but for now fun and messing around os really on my mind. Also I would like it to be loud and better then my 5 watt amp :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@beaner)
Estimable Member

ReplyQuote
(@sledneck)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Awe only 5 watts I hate mine so I'll never ever get a 5watt amp again.

ReplyQuote
(@beaner)
Estimable Member

A 5W valve amp is very different to a 5W solid state amp (I'm assuming that's what you have). Have a search around YouTube for guys playing Epi Valve Jr's.

Regards,
Paul

ReplyQuote
(@sledneck)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Oh ok so it's a different type hmm I shall check that out.

ReplyQuote
(@beaner)
Estimable Member

Wherabouts are you Sleddie? It's a funny time for people in the US to be up.

Regards,
Paul

ReplyQuote
(@sledneck)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm in Ontario Canada, and I like the sound of that amp it's so clear.

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member

I'm in Ontario Canada, and I like the sound of that amp it's so clear.

The Valve Junior? Mine was less than 200 bucks Canadian and I love it.

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

ReplyQuote
(@sledneck)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hmm thats not that bad 200 bucks two weeks worth of work, not bad at all :D but I'm still ni love with the Line6 Spider3 I need some input please!! :P

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member

Hmm thats not that bad 200 bucks two weeks worth of work, not bad at all :D but I'm still ni love with the Line6 Spider3 I need some input please!! :P

Polar opposites, sadly. The Spider3 is a modelling amp AFAIK and the Epi is a tube amp. It has a volume knob and an on-off switch, that's it. BUT it sounds amazing.

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

ReplyQuote
(@sledneck)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well I watched a video of the two guitar players of slipknot and they seem to have what looks like a spider3 amp, so I'm guessing it must be pretty decent if they use it.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Line 6 does an incredible job of marketing and they've pushed very hard and created great marketing campaigns for both the Spider 2 and the Spider 3.

When I was new to guitar I decided that I had to have a Spider 2. I saved some money, and got one. It was great for about two weeks. Then I went to my instructor's house, at the time, for a few lessons and we played through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (an All Tube Amp) and I fell in Love/Lust with its smoothness, its tone and its response. I asked my instructor why these amps sound so good and his answer was ...."The Tube Amp is what it is." This was my first time playing through a tube amp.

When I got home and plugged into my Spider I couldn't get anywhere close to the tones I was getting at my instructors house. The Spider amps are good for Distortion, distortion, and more distortion... oh yeah and their ear splitting loud too. Playing them clean or with a little 'crunch' they just can't/don't cut the mustard. If all you want is distortion and LOUD, then its a great amp. But as your musical repertoires (sp) grows, you'll want more than just hard/gritting/booming distorted sounds.

Needless to say I unplugged my spider and sold it as soon as i could, about two weeks later, and got a Tube amp and haven't looked back.

My experience isn't unique either, if you search the forum on Spider amps, we've talked about it before and others have had the same experience as mine.

Bottom line...don't get caught by their marketing scheme and make possibly your worst amp purchase. If your looking to make some of those tough/ruff sounds and hard gritting tones, they're not that hard to achieve with other more versatile components.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2