Neil Young- Harvest Moon

14 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thought I'd mention `Harvest Moon' to see what you all think:

Bought this on cassette when it first came out. Absolute magic, a perfect album, replaced it with CD last year. Every time I listen I'm captivated and hear something new. I wanted to play acoustic guitar before hearing this but after, I knew I was going to!

Inspired me to go back into his past and purchased `Harvest'. Again brilliant but a little ruffer round the edges but it was over 30years old. I agree with Wes Inman's comment on the Easy Song Database that even though Neil seems to sing out of tune and sounds as though he's playing that way it just hooks you and your gone!

Has he bettered `Harvest Moon'?
maybe you can tell me.

All the best

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I only really got into Neil Young quite recently......when I first started looking at the easy songs for beginners, noticed some of his stuff on there...managed to work out "Heart of Gold" myself.......

VH1-classic tends to play his "live" videos - Hey hey, my my, Like a Hurricane, Cinnamon Girl, Needle and the Damage done - late at night....

Planetrock on digital radio (or Internet) also plays a lot of Neil Young.......

As far as I'm concerned, he's up there with Lennon and Fogerty......never heard a song of his yet that I didn't like..........

:) :) :)

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ovation_player)
Trusted Member

I think there's a videotape of his "Rust Never Sleeps" tour available.
It's an old tour 1978-79 so you may not be able to get it. I am going to check at my video store tonight

"This song starts off kinda slow then fizzles out altogether" Neil Young

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hey Ovation player - let us know if it is.......most of the stuff they play on VH1 of Neil's is from that tour - I for one would be willing to fork out the cash to hear more...........

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ovation_player)
Trusted Member

vic

went to block buster video - a huge chain of video stores in the us--they didn't have it The good news is you can buy the DVD on amazon.com

Rust Never Sleeps the concert film

They used to play the whole thing on some cable stations in the US many years ago

USA network was the network that played it they are still in existence but don't know if they still play or still have the rights

"This song starts off kinda slow then fizzles out altogether" Neil Young

ReplyQuote
(@betsy)

Heart of Gold is a great song....easy to play, too.

"After the Goldrush" is my favourite Neil Young Album....perhaps you could check it out.

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

I think there's a videotape of his "Rust Never Sleeps" tour available.
It's an old tour 1978-79 so you may not be able to get it. I am going to check at my video store tonight

Does it have him performing "Keep On Rockin In The Free World" on it ?

I think that is a brilliant little rock number. I saw Stuart Adamson play a brilliant version of it with Big Country at a concert in London in about 1991 and hadn't realised it was a cover until I heard it on the radio by chance a few weeks later.

Fantastic song!

Rod :wink:

Ah ha here it is by Neil and Pearl Jam Great song whover plays it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFmILOg2uPQ&search=Neil%20young

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
 klim
(@klim)
Reputable Member

Being Canadian, it's one of those things that you grew up listening to Neil Young.

He's written so many great riffs over the years, that it's hard to keep count of. But Harvest really is one of his best albums (next to Rust Never Sleeps). Young has that unique quality about him, singing not really that appealing, guitar soloes that are sour in some way, but works.

A very unique and talented man.

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

the guys a genius.

can't beleive someone said he's a rubbish guitarist on one of the threads here - he's a great acoustic player imho

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

All you Neil fans make sure you go see Prairie Wind best Concert Film I've seen in a long time

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@jbeery)

Be sure to check out -last dance- on the Time fades away album. Wax over cd if you have the chance.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Neil Rocks!

I consider Neil Young one of my greatest influences. Neil made me realize that you do not have to have the prettiest voice to be a great singer. That truly gave me the confidence to sing. His songs sound very simple (very misleading sometimes) but they are beautiful and touching.

Neil just has presence. He is right there. I don't know how else to say it.

Did I see you down in a young girl's town,
With your mother in so much pain
I was almost there at the top of the stairs,
With her screamin' in the rain

Did she wake you up to tell you that
It was only a change of plan,
Dream up, dream up, let me fill your cup
With the promise of a man

Awesome.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

I love Neil. Everybody Knows this is Nowhere, Rust Never Sleeps and my DVD of Rust Never Sleeps are superb.

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Well , to chime in here , i have a very significant attachment to this song.

I sung harvest moon , along with my guitar , using a bit of Dhodge's arrangement and a bit of mine in my father's company day.

There was only one mic available on the stand and hence guitar volume was pretty low.But i did sing the song there and despite forgetting the lyrics in between , people liked it.

I got a number of good compliments from people about my singing and that has only encouraged me further.Mind that , the crowd i was performing before was almost unknown to english songs.

Harvest moon is a very melodius song.It acts as all you can imagine - love song , song for a lonely night , song for a wedding , song for your daughter , and best of all song to be enjoyed most on the guitar.

Hail Neil Young :D ,

Rahul

ReplyQuote