Clear all

New Amp.....

26 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Just bought one of these.... http://www.dawsons.co.uk/fender-mustang-i-20-watt-1x8-combo-amp - it'll be in the shop later today, I'll pick it up after picking the grandson up from nursery. Tried one out a couple of weeks or so ago, seems to have all the features of the cube 30 plus a few more FX.

Similar sort of amp to the VoxAD30VT, or the aforementioned Cube30....great thing with this one, you can actually change the presets to your personally preferred settings. Can't wait to get it home and mess around!

Should be able to start recording some songs soon....originals....also bought a mic, all I need now are some fairly cheap headphones and an AC/DC adaptor for the keyboard....

Fingers crossed, won't be long!

Feeling very optimistic.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@ghost)
Prominent Member

Cool Vic.

Got the Fender Mustang II last fall. Wonderful amp. Been stuck on the '65 Twin Reverb preset since I got my Strat. Found the Metal 2000 preset to be choppy though. A lot of experimenting to be done. :D

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Now it's time to hear some of those Vic originals cranked up!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Congrats, Vic. It's two days now. How are you liking it so far? :D

It looks like it's loaded. Direct USB connectivity to boot. It should be quite the handy unit.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Couldn't do much last night apart from play around with a few settings - problem (1) the instruction manual is on a DVD, and my old laptop won't play DVDs. Not been able to borrow the daughter's laptop yet....so again, today, all I've done is just try and find a couple of nice settings.

It all looks COMPLICATED.....but I've been fired with a new determination over the last few days. When your own family looks down their noses at you with a kind of "huh, you'll never amount to anything" sneer on their lips, it raises my hackles....I'm really annoyed at them and really want to show them I can write, play, sing and most importantly record a good song.

It's like going back to school....although thinking back, I never really had to study much at school, it all seemed to come pretty easily to me so I kind of coasted....this is a whole new ball game, I actually WANT to learn but I'm a LOT older now and it all seems so much harder....but like I say, I'm fired up and ready to rock.

Immediate ambition - I want to record at least one previously unrecorded original in the next 7 days. Guitar, vocals, bass, drums, keyboards....got a song in mind, just got to practice and get it up to standard. Bass will be the hard part....I don't have a bass. I was chatting to our old friend Twisted Fingers a couple of nights ago, played him a track I'd recorded a while back. He was surprised when I told him the bass line was played on the keyboard on the Tuba setting, with extra sustain and just a little distortion. Amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it.....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

The manual might be on their site. http://www.fender.com/support/articles.php?section=articles&category=fender-mustang-amplifier-series The Mustang PDF link is 2/3rds down the page. They also have links to the various bits of software needed to run it all. I bet the PDF has a starting guide of some sort.

Have fun! :D

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Cool amp Vic!

Enjoy!

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Couldn't do much last night apart from play around with a few settings - problem (1) the instruction manual is on a DVD, and my old laptop won't play DVDs. Not been able to borrow the daughter's laptop yet....so again, today, all I've done is just try and find a couple of nice settings.
Vic

Manuals?

http://support.fender.com/manuals/guitar_amplifiers/Mustang_1-2_QuickStart-revC.pdf

http://support.fender.com/manuals/guitar_amplifiers/MustangI_II_advanced_manual_English.pdf

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Hey Vic I know what you mean about complicated, to me it's more a pain in the you know what. If you have the patience to sit down and read the manual god bless you I hate that.

But I'm not much of a fiddler either. I'm kind of in the same place with the ME-70 I bought. I have found a couple decent settings and mostly go with those for now.

The Marsahll amp was a bigger improvement to my sound. I'm definitely not a Fender guy anymore.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

The Marsahll amp was a bigger improvement to my sound. I'm definitely not a Fender guy anymore.

NOW you tell me! :roll: :lol:

First time I've had a chance to sit down and look at the manual will be NOW.....thanks for the links, Roy and Doug!

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well, that was a nice productive hour or so....learned a few things. LOVE the spring reverb....I always like to use a little reverb. Found some nice settings, written 'em down....next time I'll learn how to save 'em!

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I can't remember a thing. I write it all down, but then forget what topics I;ve written and where I wrote them. Oh well. That's the way the cookie crumbles. I will say that with all of this digital functionality that I take it one bit of functionality at a time, and I try to save the projects off where I've done experimenting, successfully or not, to use as future reference. I've also taken the attitude that every time I want to do something that I do not know how to do, I slow down, hit the manuals and work the problem out before I move on. I think the skipping around I've been doing in the past has directed me into a lot of corners. Not fun.

What is fun, though, is learning something new almost every day. Some things even stick after a few times. :D :D

Roy

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Well Roy you seem to be alot more meticulous in your approach than I ever am. I end up getting the basics down and then I'm done. Of course that's why I've struggled with my sound.

I'm sure and I've heard Fender amps that sound fine it just didn't work for me the Marshall just gets me so much closer right out of the gate and the simpler the better for me.

I do have to start seriously working my sound I think the guys I'm with will actually make it out to play so I can't look like a scrub with crappy sound it's gonna have to sound good especially with the other guitarist.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I got the Wife a Vox 30T with the foot pedal. It allows for 8 saved settings (out of 96 presets and infinite adjustments!), which she uses for our various songs. We went with something like this:
- Clean
- Clean with chorus
- Bright overdrive
- Warm overdrive
- Warm distortion
- Dark distortion
- Distortion with chorus
- Dark fuzz

We actually need to update these settings now that she's played with them a while. I think we need to add more of each effect, as they don't sound unique when playing with the band.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Still waiting to hear it Vic! You gonna get a sound bite out before I get one of my new guitar out? I work tonight and tomorrow night so you have a head start. :wink: That means Wednesday Western Hemisphere time I will have a day off. Probably be active in the evening. :lol: May do a video demo of the thing.

So, are you liking it ? I got rid of my big Peavey VYPYR but most certainly kept the small one the kids got me. I believe the counterpart of your Mustang. So may effects and models. Endless possibilities. I'm thinking about using it for recording. I'm gonna give it a try anyhow. I see yours has a USB connection. My big one did but not the little one. 20 watts as well, I think mine is 15. I can't wait to hear it. Spring reverb huh? Nice!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2