New Band Name anyone?

62 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@rob77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

G'Day groovers.
Was following an amusing thread on "Subject to Change" & have the same problem - what to name the band. We have / had a good name but after a year of use found out it's also being used in Melbourne & 'we don't want no bad blood' so now we have to come up with a new one.....suggestions? Free drink for the winner when they come to one of our gigs (he he he).

"Who says you can't 'dive bomb' a bigsby?!"

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Well, as a member of your new freee marketing department :lol: , what kind of music do you play and more importantly, what's the image you want and can currently support?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Use the musiciansfriend's random band name generator. It doesn't get better than this -

Random Band Name Generator

Good Luck

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Talk with the band. Anything everyone likes (a cartoon, movie, book, artist or whatever) and pick something from that. 'The 42s' if you're into the Hickhikers Guide to the Galaxy, 'The Cornholios' if Beavis & Buttheads if that's your thing etc.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

No Bad Blood

Formerly Known As...

A Band Name......Sued

sorry, couldn't help it. :P

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Psycho Billy

More to come... no no.. that isnt a suggestion.. I'll add more later. :D

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member

Parkway

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Hey Rahul,

That random band name generator on Musicians Friend is a hoot! I've never seen that on there before, so I was having fun with it for awhile! :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I immediately thought of "No Bad Blood," and saw Scrybe thought of it first.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@rob77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

...actually, I'll put "No bad Blood" to the comittee & see what they think! That sounds kinda cool.

I guess our main problem is that we basically just play songs we like, which means everything from jazz to blues, rockabilly, rock & psychobilly. For instance we could start the night playing instrumentals by Brian Setzer or Tommy Emanual (but not as well as either!!) & by the end of the night be playing Beatles, Motorhead & Robert Johnson all in one set!! So that means we find it hard to describe our 'style'...

Of course we cater set lists to the place we're playing, but the one band name has to do it all!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I guess our main problem is that we basically just play songs we like, which means everything from jazz to blues, rockabilly, rock & psychobilly

There is a great name right there, PSYCHO BILLY

Unfortunately, I just looked and it looks like there might be a few bands with this name.

I recently joined a new band, though they have been together for many years. The band's name is Burnfoot Dazzle. When I asked how they came up with that, they said they saw it on a tombstone in a pet cemetary, it was a dog's name. :D

I am always looking around at signs you see everyday, even street intersections. Sometimes you can come up with great band names like that.

Let us know what you guys decide.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Before we decided on Guided By Monkeys we had one other in the running Jackass Penguins. Feel free to use it :twisted:

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

...actually, I'll put "No bad Blood" to the comittee & see what they think! That sounds kinda cool.

I guess our main problem is that we basically just play songs we like, which means everything from jazz to blues, rockabilly, rock & psychobilly. For instance we could start the night playing instrumentals by Brian Setzer or Tommy Emanual (but not as well as either!!) & by the end of the night be playing Beatles, Motorhead & Robert Johnson all in one set!! So that means we find it hard to describe our 'style'...

Of course we cater set lists to the place we're playing, but the one band name has to do it all!

Well, our old band name as a Power Trio was 'Specimen: Unknown'.
It was the name of an old Outer Limits episode :)

We added another guitarist and recorded under a different name - so, Spec: Unknown is available as far as I know.

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

here's a tip. upon selecting prospective band names, check if you can get a myspace page with the name.

if there's already someone using the name, e.g. DrobgaIsAWuss, it'll suggest another one DrogbaIsAWuss2. The number system continues, depending on how many people register it. In the example, if you try registering on myspace, you'll likely get DrogbaIsAWuss999898989945499989454. In which case, its quite likely that the name is really common, and perhaps you should consider an alternative.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@rob77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

That's how I found about the 'other' hornets. .. the new band name will get a thorough googling too. There's lots of funky suggestions out there, but it's hard to find one that just 'fits' 8)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 5