Clear all

New Band Name anyone?

62 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

If the posters here ever get together and form a band then "The NietzschePickers" would seem like a natural choice. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Wow -
Well, I can't really let a good coversation about Nietzsche get away! :twisted:

This could get kinda complicated in just this small slice of his many facets.... hope I don't lose anyone in my
poor writing abilities....

First - Not even close to being a Nazi.... IMO, not political either way.
I see the Nazi's being closer to Social Darwinism than to Nietz.'s philosophy's.

And Nietz. was accoused of being Social Darwinistic.... Not true.

Nietzsche's 'Ubermensch' was not Darwinistic in that Darwinism is about the 'Natural Order' of things.... Natural Selection.

The 'Ubermensch Concept' is about the 'Will' to become that.... That it was not up to nature, more; Man had to have a WILL
to better himself AND the race [of all mankind] in general.

To say that the Ubermensch is beyond morality doesn't exactly do the concept justice....
That almost seems to have negative connotations....
Singularly ~ Jesus Christ could be considered 'Ubermensch' - He was perfect and therefore 'beyond morals'.
(Yes, I know Nietzsche was the one who said God is Dead.... bear with me :wink: )

The concept of the Ubermensch is about the evolution of mankind.... Quite literally.
To leave behind what we are now and evolve to the next step.... To look back and see what we are now
as we now see the ape.

The Ubermensch Concept was introduced by Nietzsche in his book: Thus Spake Zarathrustra.

It is that concept that is the key to understanding the movie/book 2001: A Space Odyssey.
If you've ever thought - WOW, what a great movie! Too bad I don't know what it's about....?
Now you do.

It starts with apes (pre-mankind).... And in the end, we see mankind evolve Beyond Man, or 'Over Man' (Uber Mensch).
If that's not good enough - Can any of you tell me what the name of the song is that is the 'theme' song of 2001????
I'll tell you -
Also Sprach Zarathrustra by Strauss. (See that, I tied music into this :) )

Also, (back to the Hitler thing).... Hitler and Darwinism want to weed out the weak, sick, 'the unperfect' and create
a strong and perfect gene pool....
Where as Nietzsche saw any 'anomaly' as being beneficial to evolution;
Which also infuses an ingredient not unlike compassion into Nietzsche's philosphies (at least compared to Darwinism).

And if you haven't yet read 'The Birth of Tragedy' ~ I highly recomend it.... Probably my fav Nietzsche book.

Ken
You know, there's a wealth of band names in this post. My fave is "It Starts With Apes"
I have hi lighted possibilities.

LOL!

Nice finds there F&H!
I see you've tuned into my subliminal frequency :twisted:

I'm really liking "The Unperfect" 8)

I just might have to use that one :wink:

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles