New Gibson Les Paul BFG

16 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@nottheguy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

From gibson.com.......

A stripped-down, rock 'n' roll flamethrower, the Les Paul BFG is the most powerful Les Paul Gibson has ever made. Blasted back to the bare essentials, the BFG is the Les Paul for guitarists who want it loud, raw, and wild. Two volumes and one tone knob control the sonic spectrum put out by a high-powered Burstbucker 3 humbucker in the bridge and a screaming, singlecoil P-90 in the neck. The traditional toggle has been rewired as a kill switch, and a mini-toggle at the volume knobs controls pickup selection. An innovative powerhouse, the BFG has no binding, no figured top, no finishing touches. This gives the BFG a distinctive look that is both modern and vintage, while allowing for a price that makes pure Les Paul performance available to all players. The result is a perfect storm of eye-catching style, incredible tone, and unbeatable playability—all at a great price. Destined to be a classic.

http://www.gibson.com/bfg/index.htm

Check out the specs - and the video under downloads - freaking hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What do you guys think?

Its a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself.

(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I think Gibson is running out of ways to repackage the Les Paul.

I will say that I think it looks cool, and if the price is under $700 they might get some decent sales.

Its better than those aluminum covered LPs, or the "menace" series.

At least they are trying...

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I like the New Century Series....

ReplyQuote
(@guitbusy)
Trusted Member

That video is hilarious. That is a very specific target market. Not my cup of tea, but then again I don't drink tea very often...

Older Newbie

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I couldn't find any suggested pricing.

Anyone?

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I couldn't find any information on pricing either. Plus, what does the BFG stand for? Did I miss that?

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

I couldn't find any information on pricing either. Plus, what does the BFG stand for? Did I miss that?

Back in the old days of playing Duke Nukem 3D for countless hours, we referred to the BFG as the "Big ^&*%$D& Gun"

:D

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Better Finance Guitar

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

I couldn't find any information on pricing either. Plus, what does the BFG stand for? Did I miss that? I believe it stands for Big Fornicating Goof

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Gibson must be hurting bad! They are getting their market share eaten away by companies that are producing better versions of the LP model, for a $1,000 less! This appears to be their attempt to compete with ESP/LTD's versions of the LP, which are more valued by guitarists in that genre. I think Gibson has been seriously rethinking their market strategy, before they dissapear - thus all of the newer, lower priced (but still too high) models that have been appearing lately.

Here's a thought Gibson - lower the price on your models and you will see a TON of customers come back. Perhaps costs are just too high to produce affordable guitars in the USA that can compete with well made imports.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

From a materials and labor point of view, there is no reason a company like Gibson can't produce a beautiful guitar for $700 - 800. The issue is with their margins. How can you start producing a (current) $2000 Les Paul Classic for $800 and not see reprocussions in the marketplace.

Same is true for cars... are you kidding that a new Mercedes-Benz can be $90,000+?? The car itself only costs (maybe) $20,000 - $40,000 to produce. They factor in advertising, R&D, image, etc... If MB started sellig all their cars at $24,000 it would de-value ALL the existing MB's on the road. Major issues.

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

The Dali Lima makes a very valid point.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

It's all about image. If the $24k Mercs were badged as Mercs they'd be devalued exactly as you said. If, however, they called them 'Merks' and made them look a little different, Merc owners in general would be more than happy to keep paying the $90k for a "real" Merc.

Here's a little story I love from the NYT:
One Hollywood financial advisor, Scott Feinstein, told the New York Times about a call he received from a client in his mid-twenties who wanted to buy a $35,000 watch. "I said ‘What time does it say?' and he said, ‘Ten minutes after 3.'" Feinstein recalled. "I told him, ‘Mine says 10 after 3 too, and it cost me 60 bucks. Put the watch down.'".

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

The only Gibson I would ever want is the blueshawk.

Will I get one? Nope. They cost like 800 dollars. And no one makes a semihollow varitone LP with blues90's. No-one but gigson :{

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I like the New Century Series....

Well, that is why this is the "opinions" section!

I think the Explorer and the V look ok in the New Century Series, but the Les Paul (which I was referencing) seems out of place with that treatment. I think the same with the past Voodoo series and the gothic series. In fact, I even think some of the Studio models without the body binding look a little odd to me.

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2