Skip to content
New Satriani pedal ...

Notifications
Clear all

New Satriani pedal from Vox What do you think of it?

17 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@chris-rupp)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I just got the new Satchurator pedal from Vox. I really like it. I'm just running it through my Peavy Classic 50 and I think it really sounds good. It really cleans up well when you roll down the volume. It seems like a great pedal for the price. I was just wondering what everybody else thought of it.

Monthly guitar lessons with Chris Rupp
Visit chrisrupp.com
Visit my Ebay store for guitar instructional dvds

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Well first, where the heck did you get it? Not ONE of the local DC-area stores on Vox's distribution list has it ... Do I have to drive up to PA to snag one??? :lol:

I'm surprised to hear you say how it cleans up - that was my main concern. The sample clips made it seem like it only went from distortion to more distortion.

Post sound clips!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I'm surprised to hear you say how it cleans up - that was my main concern. The sample clips made it seem like it only went from distortion to more distortion.

Post sound clips!
That's because distortion and "satch"uration sell big time, and clean -- not so much.

+1 on clips

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

That's because distortion and "satch"uration sell big time, and clean -- not so much.

Too true.

Here's a kid running a Satchurator into a clean ss amp, first non-pro test drive I've seen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yeXBCwTfuE

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Clips!! +1
May have to get one of these!!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

From the YouTube demos, it sounds more like a Vanhalenator -- but that's good.

It's an interesting pedal. I mentioned in 'Here to There' a little while back that I bought a T-Rex Moller pedal for my new mini pedal board. It too has a "more" feature (called boost). On the Moller, the boost has a dedicated knob for adjusting the switchable gain level. These pedals def sound different tho. The Moller is more of a blues/crunch rock machine that doesn't do the bite of the Vox pedal. In any case, I'm a big believer of the additional, switchable gain section - very useful while playing.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@chris-rupp)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I pre-ordered it from musicians friend more than 30 days before it came out. So it was more than 60 days from when I pre-ordered it until I got it. I looked on Ebay. I didn't see any. That surprised me I thought someone would be selling theirs to make extra money on it. The next time I'm video taping which may be tomorrow I'll have to shoot some of me messing around with the pedal. If I do I'll throw it up on Youtube and put a link to it. I watched that link with the kid. He did a good job, but he could have turned the gain down to show more range of the pedal instead of just having the gain all the way up the whole time.

Visit chrisrupp.com

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

It looks Good. But so does the Rocktron Silver Dragon. Hard choice!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

From the YouTube demos, it sounds more like a Vanhalenator

That was my first thought.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-rupp)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I went on musicians friend website and listened to the soundclips of the Rocktron pedal. That pedal sounds really heavy. The Satchurator sounds a lot different at least from those soundclips. The Vox pedal I bet is a lot more versatile for more of a variety of types of music. I've been messing with it and you can pretty much get what ever sound you want by backing off the gain and adjusting the tone button. It probably won't get as heavy sounding as the Rocktron pedal. But, it's hard to say since I never sat and played with the Rocktron pedal. Maybe it cleans up nicely and you can use if for a variety of styles. But the clips make it sound very heavy.

chris

Visit chrisrupp.com

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

I picked one up over the weekend. Only had a chance to play with it for 1/2 hour but I really liked what I heard. The tone is great, it has lots of variety and potential. Will post more when I've had a chance to really play through it. May become my fav pedal!!!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

CLIPS!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

CLIPS!!!!
You got it bro! I need to get some available time! Hockey season has started and I'm always on the ice now. I'm hoping for this weekend. Will post clips as soon as I can. I'm really jonesing to play around with it. Still have to see how it will work with my other pedals. I've own nothing but Boss pedals till now. So it most likely will help reduce the amount of peds for me. I'm going to have a great time just trying to figure out he best combos to get that perfect tone. What would you suggest I ditch? Here's what I have:

Boss Pedals
EQ
Overdrive/Distortion
Flanger
Chorus Ensemble
Dynamic Wah
Loop Station
Blues Driver

Vox
and of course the Satchurator

I play a Gibson Custom LP through a Marshall DSL401

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

LOL; last time I was on ice I was playing broomball, and I accidently popped a young lady in the eye. I felt terrible, and haven't been able to go back! (Well, alright, mostly because of my ACL, really ... )

Anyway, if the Satchurator is as versatile as some say it is, then the Overdrive/Distortion and BD-2 are the obvious ones that can be set free. Maybe even the EQ if the tone is all that.

When you do the clips, please go through the full range of gain settings if you can. I'm really curious about the lower gain sounds with a neck pickup.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

You got it. I'll try to do a full range of settings. Was thinking about writing down the variations first, then announce them on the audio clip before I start playing each one. (I'm not a video kinda guy) This way you can get a good idea. I'll be sure to do the low gain and neck pu combos for ya.

You're right, those peds are the obvious ones that should go. I'll most likely try some different combos to see how nasty I can get the distortion without sounding like mud. Plus, I think I need a real wah pedal. Must sell off some stuff!!!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2