Notifications
Clear all

New singer audition

24 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

tough situation. he sounds really really green; like, he never ever sang with a live band green.
Karoke is one thing, but playing wioth live players is totally different. as in guitar, having a sense of timing is everything.
lyrics, posture new songs all can be learned. timing I believe is an inherant quality or skill. yeah, that could probably be learned as well, but you need a singer and fast.
what about the female you mentioned?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

sometimes when a song is on the radio i can sing along to it no problem, and i might even think i know the song - but i doubt i could do it without the prompting of the origional song - maybe its similar with your singer??
He may have been working hard, but just doenst know the songs as well as he thought he does - although 5 days, should be enough time.

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

dog,

I think you are right he is definitely green and karaoke isn't the same as singing with a band. He had made the comment that he wasn't used to singing without the little ball bouncing over the words to prompt him when to sing.

But I still think and maybe it's me he should have been able to get through all the songs even poorly but it didn't happen and even the ones that he said he practiced weren't great, but and the but is he has a fairly decent voice. If this was a year ago when we started it wouldn't have been a problem because we would have grown together but now that we have enough songs we don't really want to wait around so he can learn how to sing.

We have to go hunt down the female singer since none of us know her personally and have no real way to get in touch with her other than going to the bar where we saw her sing.

Al - I know what you mean, when you singing along with a song on the radio you do get the felling or at least I do that I know the song then when you sing it for "real" the first time it usually isn't quite like that.

One more shot Friday and then we'll make a decision.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

let us all know how it pans out friday - good luck!!

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

so how'd it go cnev? did he know the songs this time?

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

We are now officially back on the market for a singer. Friday's practice wasn't much better than the last couple after saying how much he worked on the songs he didn't really bring anything new to the table.

Unfortunately we are going to have to let him go it's just not going to work with him.

The sad thing was a guy I grew up with and whos' come by practice before dropped by also and he was the first person I thought of when I thought about a singer. He's been singing all his life and he has a great voice but unfortunately I know that he would never committ. He likes to do his own thing and he's always been difficult to pin down for anything.

So anyway he starts singing a few of the Cream songs and Long Train Running and he blows this other guy away (he was still there at the time)His voice is really, really good, strong and in key and he has the attitude of a frontman....As soon as the drummer and other guitar player heard him their jaws dropped in amazement he's that good or at least that good compared to what we've been used to. Unfortunately this was only a tease and I know he will never want to sing with us, because he's always got something going on and he's really just a blues guy by his own admission so I'm not going to get worked up over it since it will never happen but man the boy can sing.

So it looks like we are back to square one with the singer..to be continued

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Sorry to hear this. Good luck on the search .... again!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

flippin eck cnev - its turning out to be a long search for you isnt it??
i hope something (or somebody) turns up for you soon!
good luck!
Al

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Roy and Al thanks guys I've learned not to get to worked up about it so I'm just going with the flow. I would guess the next step might be to go back to the find the girl that we saw singing at the karaoke bar or start advertising.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2