Clear all

New to Guitar world,

26 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

The absolute most important thing to guitar is getting one in your hands. Get something you like the looks of, get a decent setup, and start playing. Someone at Guitarnoise once posted a video of a fellow playing one of those cheap plastic toy (literally) guitars and it was one of the most awsome things I think I have seen, yet put a top of the line Taylor, Martin, or (insert your brand here) in the hands of a beginner it is still going to sound like crap for quite a while. People that have been playing a while will also tell you that this guitar you are going to buy is going to be the first of many if you stick with it. I am not sure why we are the way we are, but if you enjoy guitar then you enjoy buying new ones.

Most important point.. get one in your hands and start learning

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@dennisf6)
Trusted Member

My two bits -
I think almost any guitar will do for a beginner. The most important thing is that it should be one that makes YOU want to play it. You also should have it professionally setup (techie adjustments to strings, bridge, ...). That runs about $50. Even a $99 guitar, setup correctly, will sound as good as a beginner can make it sound.
Now you may be thinking, "but if I spend a little more I may get the guitar I will want to keep for ever". Maybe. But I think most of us come to a much better understanding of what we want AFTER we have played for a while. I say play a low priced guitar for a while...6 months, a year, two years, then pick the guitar (more likely guitars - plural) that you really want.

My advice on amps is to buy a small portable amp for now. Like a Roland Microcube or Vox DA5. If you haven't heard one, you will probably be surprised at how good they sound. Then, after you have some experience and better idea of what you want, you can buy a bigger/more expensive amp and you will still have a "first amp" that you will want to keep. However, I am not in to metal so I am not sure if these amps are good for metal (I can say they are great for classic rock, blues, alternative,...).

I want to play guitar very badly -
and I do!

ReplyQuote
(@dragoonx)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hm haven't bought my gear yet as I'm sorta browsing still. I'm going to check out a second local shop around here and see what they got to offer. Btw you guys are making a o of sense, I never would of thought of things that way 2 weeks ago :oops:

Anyways, hope to have everything picked out come next week :P You guys have been a tremendous help :mrgreen:

P.S. Seems the band P.O.D. is dropping by my work place this Saturday , maybe I'll drop them a question or two :o

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member

Good idea on the second hand shops, and the VOX DA5 is good for metal practice; nice distortion effects but its not going to bully anyone's half-stack.

"...I don't know - but whasomever I do, its gots ta be FUNKY!"

ReplyQuote
(@dragoonx)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well, I think I have a purchase for next week in mind... I didn't want to spend too much on a guitar for reasons you guys have stated, being that its most important to just actually sit down and practice. So anyways, I got really attracted to the B.C. Rich Warlock and tried it out at the shop. Felt slightly hefty but that would be more because I don't have experience with them :mrgreen: It gave off some nice sounds from what I could pull off. As for he Amp I found a nice 15w Roland for just around 100 dollars. Heres the links;

http://www.guitarcenter.com/B-C--Rich-Bronze-Series-Warlock-Electric-Guitar-100492751-i1146550.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-Cube-15X-Guitar-Amp-487030-i1169242.gc

Also, pretty nuby question, what is the "Gain" knob for? As in what does it do for the sound ? ^^;; I'm still unsure about most of the terminology used.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Looks like you'll be in good shape with your selections, although I've never played one of them. Have not heard bad out of them, though.

Gain will make it sound, dirtier or harder. Not clean is what I'm trying say, I guess.

Make sure you get a few supplies. I'm sure someone else has mentioned it, but I didn't go back and look. Stuff I can think of off the top of my head.

-> Tuner. (Make sure can do chromatic...salesman will know)
-> Picks. Most people start off small, like lights and mediums. Pick out a few.
-> Extra set(s) of strings. (ask salesman what guage are in there now. Get same guage)
-> Cable for guitar to amp. Save yourself some major grief. Get a good one. (I use Monsters, but several really good ones exist)
-> One of those tuner winding tools with a cutter on it for when you do your first string change.
-> Strap

I'm sure I'm missing something.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member

Looks like you'll be in good shape with your selections, although I've never played one of them. Have not heard bad out of them, though.

Gain will make it sound, dirtier or harder. Not clean is what I'm trying say, I guess.

Make sure you get a few supplies. I'm sure someone else has mentioned it, but I didn't go back and look. Stuff I can think of off the top of my head.

-> Tuner. (Make sure can do chromatic...salesman will know)
-> Picks. Most people start off small, like lights and mediums. Pick out a few.
-> Extra set(s) of strings. (ask salesman what guage are in there now. Get same guage)
-> Cable for guitar to amp. Save yourself some major grief. Get a good one. (I use Monsters, but several really good ones exist)
-> One of those tuner winding tools with a cutter on it for when you do your first string change.
-> Strap

I'm sure I'm missing something.
Cleaning cloth and some type of cleaner/polish; and remember to wipe the stings down, something I've been terrible with so far and it shows (sounds).

ReplyQuote
(@dragoonx)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Got my shopping done;

B.C. Rich Warlock Metal Master
Spider III 15 amplifier
Guitar Stand
~few Medium picks
Monster Cable
Strap
~some learning material

I figure this would do for some essentials. So far I'm very excited and not excited about going to work! Lol. Although I should be meeting POD in a few. Anyways, I'm start off on major chords and alternate picking I guess :P Thank you everyone for all the help!

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

SWEET.. Good choice.. Thats pretty cool lookin.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Congrats! I wish you much fun on your guitar journey. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member

Very nice!Hang on and enjoy the ride!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2