Notifications
Clear all

New Tool CD

80 Posts
23 Users
0 Likes
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

What about bands that change sounds too much. Lets take 3 Doors Down for an example. I loved their first album, "The Better Life" it was balls to walls rock. Crushing guitar riffs, and tight songs. A few slow ones, but mostly really agressive rock music. It's still a great album in my mind.

However, they went more towards the sucess of "Be Like That", a ballad, rather then "Kryptonite", "Loser", or "Duck and Run". All following singles, for the most part were softer ballads. I never bought another CD, and I can't stand anything but out after their first album.

That is an example of a band who changed too much in my opinon. Ironically, after one big shift in style, the following two albums were exactly the same.

I like signature sounds sometimes, but only if it stays the way I originally liked it.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

It must be a personal thing. I like variety.

Led Zeppelin was heavily criticized when they came out with their 3rd album. To this day, that is my favorite LZ album. They went from the heavy fuzzed out blues to acoustic. People thought it was crazy, but this album has stood the test of time. You can still hear Hangman (Gallows Pole), Bron-Y-Aur Stomp, Tangerine, Celebration, and Friends on Classic Rock stations today.

To me, this is what made LZ so great. Like the Beatles, they were constantly experimenting with many various styles of music. John Paul Jones joked that they were CIA (Celtic, Indian, and Arabic). You can hear straight Rock blues like Bring It On Home, or eastern sounds like Kashmir.

And these are the groups that have the most fans, and whose music lasts.

I'm sorry, I think some people like what a band represents, not their music. Many feel that music has to be macho. They cannot allow themselves to listen to "soft" music. To me, this shows an insecurity.

Why do people like Death Metal? I have about 100 Death Metal albums a friend left me. While I will admit that many of these groups are fantastic and talented musicians, the music is horrible. Sheesh, I want to hear someone who can sing, not growl like a demon. It is just plain silly in my opinion.

And I would lump Tool in with this. They are HEAVY. It is just so macho. But come on, cut it some slack. I get it, you are macho. Time to move on.

And I like Metallica's new stuff. I prefer it over their old music. Whether you like it or not, these guys have grown up and matured. They no longer need to prove they are the most macho band in the world. No, now they are interested in playing meaningful and beautiful music. Now they are musicians.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

And I like Metallica's new stuff. I prefer it over their old music. Whether you like it or not, these guys have grown up and matured. They no longer need to prove they are the most macho band in the world. No, now they are interested in playing meaningful and beautiful music. Now they are musicians.

Wow! I've only heard one other person say that with and truth to it. I'd be careful who you say that to Wes, it might get you in some trouble! 8)

Seriosuly though, my friend, the one guy who meant it, said it well in that Metallica did the epic songs, fast solos, insane music time and time again, they don't need to prove that anymore.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Seriosuly though, my friend, the one guy who meant it, said it well in that Metallica did the epic songs, fast solos, insane music time and time again, they don't need to prove that anymore.

That's what I don't get. It's not about "proving" anything or being "macho". It's about the music, man! I like lots of different music. When I'm in the mood for some good ole' fashioned metal, I turn to Metallica because........ they did it well. It's not like I can ask Garth Brooks to do it. So, if you want more of that music, you have to turn to those guys (and alike) to bring it.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I liked Metallica's early stuff plenty. But I really enjoy their new music, no kidding.

You've got to remember, these guys aren't 18 anymore. Everybody mellows a little. They probably just got tired of power chords. It is normal, and even natural. Look, if they wanted to pound out the heavy stuff they could. They don't want to. You don't lose your abilities as a musician as you get older, in fact, you get better.

Watch and see. You won't be playing all heavy power chords with distortion in 20 years either. :D

You might even discover a thing called melody. :roll:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I liked Metallica's early stuff plenty. But I really enjoy their new music, no kidding.

You've got to remember, these guys aren't 18 anymore. Everybody mellows a little. They probably just got tired of power chords. It is normal, and even natural. Look, if they wanted to pound out the heavy stuff they could. They don't want to. You don't lose your abilities as a musician as you get older, in fact, you get better.

Watch and see. You won't be playing all heavy power chords with distortion in 20 years either. :D

So what about us young guns with the acoustic in hand, playing with open tunings? I hope it doesn't mean that I will go the other way, pounding out speed metal riffs when I get older :?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I don't know what you will be playing in 20 years, but it is pretty normal for young guitarists to like simple heavy music. Punk has always been popular with teens, especially boys.

But people change as they get older. The longer you play guitar, it is only natural that you get interested in other styles and more challenging music.

The guitar does have more than just two strings. :roll:

Not that a person should play for popularity, but the most popular groups are usually very versatile.

The band that sold the most records and had the highest concert attendance in the 90's was the
Smashing Pumpkins. I was a big fan myself. Look at Billy Corgan, he can play some pretty heavy stuff at times, but he can also fingerpick an acoustic.

I once read an interview of David Bowie. He said he refused to be classified as any style. He experiments with all styles of music.

And if you look at the most successful bands, most play more than one style. The one dimensional bands that play the same sound every song do not usually last long.

I go to a lot of clubs and listen to bands. If a band just plays heavy songs every song, or if they play light music every song I get up and leave. You need some color and contrast. It is the same with good music itself. The best music has push and pull, it has contrast and dynamics.

This is why Jimmy Page chose Led Zeppelin as the name of his band. He said he wanted music that was heavy, yet it could float like a balloon. He wanted contrast, light and dark.

And this is why LZ is one of the most popular bands of all times.

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

I have a few points to make Wes, I'm sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with you on quite a lot, suprise suprise :lol:

First of all what Metallica and Tool do is much more complicated than simply playing a two note powerchord, but even if it wasn't the complexity of the music does not matter it's the final sound that matters. I've enjoyed listening to people who play three chords and also those who can play incredibley complex music with their instrument. Metallicas newest work (St Anger) was the worst record to date in my humble opinion, but I have nothing against Black, Load or Reload (or any of the other albums) but then again I'm not a metalhead. I truly appreciate songs such as Low Man's lyric, Nothing else matters and Metallica also had a slightly different rock sound on those albums with songs such as fuel and attitude. All of that to me, was great music but St Anger just sounds like half boiled ideas that never fully came into fruition, more of a regression than a progression for the band.

Moving on, Tool are not seen as a Macho band at all and I have heard numerous times about how they have Mellowed out and changed from Aeneima to Lateralus. I do not listen to certain bands to make me look cool or to be part of a scene, but I do listen to various types of music such as blues, some metal, rock, jazz here and there, soul and so on. Tool are seen as a brainy metal band and many hardcore metallers that I know do not like them (the people who are into death metal). Tool also have done softer songs such as Disposition and APC is all about the mellow tunes so Maynard definately has a softer side (check out 3 libras).

When Metallica were in their prime (sorry Wes, for me that would be Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets) they did play beautiful music and if you don't believe me just listen to some of the breakdowns within the pieces, such as the solo for Master of Puppets or the intro to battery, or just listen to the intro to one.

The Smashing Pumpkins were an incredible band, so theres one thing I'll agree with you on and they had a huge amount of variety in their repetoire. However, Tool do their thing and they do it great so I'll continue to support them.

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@becksbolero)
Estimable Member

maximum 4 out of 10,I've lost interest in the band since" No Quarter"

GG

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I don't now. :wink:

Maybe....... :roll:

When Metallica were in their prime (sorry Wes, for me that would be Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets) they did play beautiful music and if you don't believe me just listen to some of the breakdowns within the pieces, such as the solo for Master of Puppets or the intro to battery, or just listen to the intro to one.

Well said, thank you. Even though Metallica was a balls to the wall metal band, they had some extremely beautiful pieces.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I never said anything negative about Metallica. There are perhaps a few here who weren't even born when Metallica came out. I was, and I was a fan. They weren't my favorite band, but I enjoyed them and have always had great respect for their musicianship. I simply said that I also enjoy their more recent albums. The only Metallica album I own is Master of Puppets. The newer songs are just what I've heard on the radio. But I like it, and even prefer their newer music.

Actually, in the 80's, my favorite Metal band was Judas Priest. 8) And I still like their music better than any other band of that time. But that is me. Different strokes for different folks.

I have only owned the one Tool album which truthfully I thought was dreadful. I think I gave it away. I cannot think of any other album I've ever purchased that I thought was a bigger waste of money. Not trying to be harsh, that is what I sincerely thought of their music.

Other than that album (Lateralus), I have also just heard Tool on the radio. So perhaps there are songs I would enjoy. But from what I've heard, their music always sounds the same.

And Metal is not that difficult. This is why so many young guitarists play Metal and Punk. Try copying Gimme Three Steps by Lynyrd Skynyrd note for note or any Allman Brothers song if you want to learn some difficult guitar. Steely Dan will blow any of these groups away for complexity. Palm muting power chords is not difficult. I am not saying Metal groups aren't great musicians, many are incredible. But the basic rhythm guitar of Metal is extremely simple. The lead guitar is difficult, but it is just as difficult for other styles, even Country. Try it and see for yourself.

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

Well I don't know about metal and punk being EASY to play as such, but it must be that you either have it or you don't (probably to do with discipline) I've never been able to play fast like those guys can. Master of puppets is a prime example as the introduction is all down strokes (p.s that's difficult). One thing I would say is there is a lot of punk and metal bands about, I just went to donnington and most of the metal bands simply scream. This is why I really can't see anyone being against a metal band who actually have melodies in their songs (Metallica and Tool), so maybe Tool don't offer a wide variety of styles and I admit it my favourite bands are those who do that, but as far as metal goes..... Tool are one of the best metal bands on the planet and I saw a lot this weekend.

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Another thing to think about is all the different genre's we have now, as opposed to back then. People back then explored different areas and that is cool. Now a days, there is a genre for everything. So, if your in a genre now and do something different you might start stepping into another genre and the fans might not like it.

If I want Metallica, I'll listen to old stuff. Their new stuff, I can get that from other bands that have forged their name in the genre already.

Bottom line to me...........Back then, there was something for everyone, now a days, it's something for everyone and then some.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I just bought the album today and like it. I like how some songs are slow and some are fast and heavier. Some of them go from slow to heavy which I really like. It's like Stairway To Heaven only I don't find it as boring.

Uhh, what to the google lens things on the CD case do? I've tried looking at the pics but don't know what I'm looking for.

ReplyQuote
(@scrogdog)
Estimable Member

That is supposed to make the images appear 3D. :)

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 6