Notifications
Clear all

New years resolutions.....

37 Posts
27 Users
0 Likes
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

1) Start that band that my drummer buddy of mine wants me to play in!

2) Stop smoking!!!!

3) Contribute a song to the "Easy Songs Database" (My version of "Michelle" fingerpicked!)

4) Get the Machine shop started up again... (down due to fire)

5) Build an acoustic from a kit!

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

2) Stop smoking!!!!

3) Contribute a song to the "Easy Songs Database" (My version of "Michelle" fingerpicked!)

Stopping smoking is the most important one :D ( I smoked for 26 years. I quit 10 years ago) ...sorry, I get carried away :lol: :lol: I want to build a electric dulcimer!--ken

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
 Bob
(@bob)
Noble Member

5 - Find some way of recording drums - if anyone knows a good link to a free drum site that'll enable me to add drum tracks to my recordings, I'm all ears......

This might help - looks like fun anyway http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=98103&C=Newsletter&U=06P12-6_Drum&T=12102723

Bob

My Soundclick Page

You are what you eat, eat well

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I think I'll do my resolutions retroactively. If I did something good last year, that was my resolution. :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@sam334)
Trusted Member

2) Stop smoking!!!!

Petition to move #3 to #1 (if the number related to order of completion) :)

Well, move the smoking cessation to #1 and Michelle to #2. I think I haven't had a cigarette in almost 2 years now. I would think about all the disgusting things it was doing to my body every time I would smoke and, within maybe a week or so, stopped completely. I became disappointed in myself every time I started one, so that really helped me stop. I was smoking about 1.5 packs of Marlboro Reds 100s for a while. Glad I quit while I'm still (relatively) young. Best of luck to ya on that :D

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Yeah Sam334,

You're Right!

New order:

#2 is #1
#3 is #2
#1 is #3
#4 is #4
#5 is #5

It's going to be hard, three packs of Marlboro red 100's a day.

I've already had a heart attack, about three years ago and I quit for about a year and then, using stress as a bad excuse, started again!

I've quit doing other things that were bad for me but were a lot more fun, (or so I thought at the time!) but quitting smoking is really the most difficult thing I've attempted but I'd like to be around for a long time!

Especially since everything else is going so well for me now!

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

I'm been noodling around with the piano for the last 3-4 months for the New Year I am going to put a bit of effort into really learning to play it

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

Concerning new years resolutions, in no specific order

- Learn how to sing and play at the same time (starting off simple with Johnny Cash's "Hurt" http://youtube.com/watch?v=cwcxf55fzHE AMAZING song)

- Become more proficient in soloing

- Exercise more often

- Keep up my transcript average (even though I already applied, colleges are ALWAYS watching)

- Overall, improve my playing in every respect (includes working on my chops so I can put on a great show at my school's battle of the bands)

- Act more mature around the house (I'm perfectly fine, but at home, I tend to "unwind" after a tough day at school)

ReplyQuote
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

# get more organized
# be tidier
# don't get stressed so easily eg cane toads keep peeing on freshly planted flower seedlings :evil:
# practise guitar more

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I don't really do resolutions, but there are some things that I would like to accomplish in the not so distant future.

1) Finally buy some proper recording gear.
2) Write more songs
3) Make some decent quality recordings
4) Put together an acoustic act for playing around the city.
5) Start making some music of different genres. I'd like to take a shot at some dance club hip hop kind of music. Not vocals, but cooldrum tracks, catchy basslines that kind of stuff.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@ghost-rider)
Reputable Member

I just don't get the whole New Year's Resolutions thing. I never did see any reason to start off the year by deciding I have a lot of bad habits I need to change. Talk about beating yourself up!

And it is certainly far too early to think about New Year's! Let me get through Thanksgiving, Advent, and Christmas first, please! Sheesh! ;)

In 2007, I'm gonna try living in the present. I'm gonna stop beating myself up about past mistakes, and stop worrying about tomorrow.

As such I'm gonna be more focused on everything I do, including practicing guitar.

Ghost Rider 8)

"Colour made the grass less green..." 3000 miles, Tracy Chapman

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I think I'll do my resolutions retroactively. If I did something good last year, that was my resolution. :lol:

:D :D

Well, I had a look through last year and couldn't find much that qualified.... no..wait... yes... my restrospective 2006 resolution was to make a garden. Yeah! I made it!

Part of the garden
Caution: Don't trying exploring the rest of the site. There's acres of boring photos, mostly of undeveloped bits of land. No seriously, it's dull stuff...

Growing vegies too, which have been a tasty success... :)

Musical resolutions for 2007....

Um...

1. Put more time into trying to improve the singing.

2. Learn a few more songs on guitar.

3. Get the saxophone out of its case, stick in mouth and blow.... you never know I might get as far as learning a tune or two... :oops:

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Last year my resolution was to play in front of a live audience for the 1st time. I did that in September you can read about it here: https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27191
Since then Ive done one other performance.
So for 2007 my resolution will be to do more live performances of my own stuff and record some of those SSG songs that are waiting to be finished.

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

3. Get the saxophone out of its case, stick in mouth and blow.... you never know I might get as far as learning a tune or two... :oops:
:shock: I always thought there was more to it than that, I might have to get myself one :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

:shock: I always thought there was more to it than that, I might have to get myself one :wink:

Well, yeah, there is a bit more to it. You have to learn to do a few hot looking thrusts and other flashy moves, and of course get yourself a stick to fend off all the fans with, and so on ... but nothing you couldn't handle... :wink:

Of course, there is the small matter of coming to terms with a peculiar and temperamental device known as a reed but, hey, we managed to get those pesky guitar strings under control... :P

Actually, I spent some time earlier this year learning to play clarinet, so I've got my reed mojo working already. Just got to get the hang of all those saxy looking buttons and levers now... It's such a wonderful contraption - just hanging it round my neck, moistening that reed and honking the thing generates so much excitement that I have to go and have a good lie down afterwards. Lord only knows how I'm going to handle the adrenaline produced by playing a whole tune on it..... 8) 8) 8) 8)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3