Skip to content
New Year's Resoluti...

Notifications
Clear all

New Year's Resolutions (Guitar related or not)

24 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

It's that time of year again. Resolutions. I'm sure some are already broken, but that happens. Mine:

non-guitar:
Quit Smoking For Good: I've averaged anywhere from 3-6 smokes a week most of this year, but I could not set them down. And then a month ago, I found myself smoking full time again. So, they're gone. None since New Year's Eve.

Continue losing weight: Averaging 1 pound a week loss since September. No smoking ain't helping.

Guitar:
Continue to improve my one guitar arrangement song covers.

Regain or find some focus on learning some lead.

Not spend any big bucks on gear this year. A/C units in house are on last leg.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

keep my dream of moving to the countryside alive.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Well, this is the first year since about 1990 that I haven't quit smoking on the stroke of midnight as New Year's Eve turns into New Year's Day - dunno why, I suppose I've quit trying to quit!

Music - I've got to get some decent recordings of my songs done. I've got about a hundred songs that I need to be able to do justice to!

Got to keep coming up with some good topics for the Sunday Songwriters Group - it SEEMS to be going OK so far - and coming up with some songs myself.

And the usual one - I WILL get better this year!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I am going to be lighter at the end of this year than at the beginning even if I have to cut out some of the ale.

I talked about musical goals in other threads, but I'm definitely going to work on my technique and I've laid down a couple of reasonable tracks for a SSG song this year, and I've got some gigs lined up with various orchestras so I'm on track. To infinity and beyond

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

= A. :mrgreen: (Green)

Congrats on your 6000th post.
A milestone in the annals of GuitarNoise.com

Oh, and for 2009 . . .
I resolve not to make resolutions.

How do you say Que Sera Sera in French?

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

ce qui sera soyez

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

To live until at least 200. (And if I don't make it, I wouldn't know, now would I???) :lol:

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Doing OK on that so far.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

To live until at least 200. (And if I don't make it, I wouldn't know, now would I???) :lol:
Cat
Oh, I imagine at sometime between here and 200, you'll have a few clues that you might not make it.
And what's so good about the 22nd century?

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Cat

I'll settle for 100 - as long as, on my 100th birthday, they let me have an electric guitar and let me play "Sympathy For The Devil." LOUD!!!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

= A. (Green)

Congrats on your 6000th post.
A milestone in the annals of GuitarNoise.com

SLACKER!

Just joking, Alan....

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Musically, to learn more scales, learn every note on the fret board, and to complete a few songs mostly by myself (my buddy will probably have to sing them for me).

Personally, I just want to get some debt paid down this year. Getting married, honeymoon and buying a house has caused us to build up some debt. Want to put a large dent in it this year. Since quitting smoking over two years ago, I've put on a few pounds that I'd like to lose as well.

Other than that, I'm just going to continue enjoying life! :D

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

To get a decent amp I could gig with. (Could gig SMALL with. Never going to play big places. But I want TUBES.)

(Don't know that I will. The first time I've really played in public was a Christmas party a few weeks ago. But I'd like to be able to consider it.)

Get better at bar chords. (I can do the ones I do all the time. The ones I don't, I suck at.)

3 notes per string scales. (Small hands. But they're getting bigger.)

And hang in there, rparker. I've had 9 ciggies since the beginning of December. If I could keep it that low, I wouldn't quit. But I know me, and I can't.

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

And hang in there, rparker. I've had 9 ciggies since the beginning of December. If I could keep it that low, I wouldn't quit. But I know me, and I can't.

I had one "slip". By slip, I mean two days. Rough weekend. Better now, and no smoke now.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

Last year it was no more speeding tickets. So I got one on Jan 6th. I think it needs to be a forever resolution, not just a yearly one. Jan. 4th I was cleaning the house and fell off a ladder. The obvious resolution should "be more careful!"

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2