Clear all

Not sure

17 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@infamous16)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

So right now I have a ibanez that is WAY too metal for me.

I need something that can basically play anything (punk, rock, metal (ish), alternative), has to have a comfortable neck, and It can't be too expensive ($250-350). and anything else that would just be better for an all-around guitar.

So just post your opinions of what guitar I should get, thanks.

blah.

lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
(@infamous16)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

what about a yamaha pacifica?

I just want to be able to be able to play almost any song and it will sound moderately good with my amp (and effects).

As long as the neck is comfortable, and its pretty quick and easy to play ill be down.

blah.

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

what about a yamaha pacifica?

You want my opinion?
Well, my feeling is that we place far too much belief in what a ceratin type of guitar can do for our playing. (Almost) anything can be played on (almost) any guitar. At the end of the day it boils down to the skills of the player. OK - the sound may not be EXACTLY like EC or Angus or Jimi or whoever, but you won't play like them anyway.

What you need is a guitar that makes you wanna play - you feel comfortable with it, you like how it looks, youlike how it feels, it makes you identify with something you like. Go for the feeling. When you have become a super guitar genius (assuming you're not one already) you may need something else - but until then, most anything will suit you.

My 0,02$

lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

You want my opinion?
Well, my feeling is that we place far too much belief in what a ceratin type of guitar can do for our playing. (Almost) anything can be played on (almost) any guitar. At the end of the day it boils down to the skills of the player. OK - the sound may not be EXACTLY like EC or Angus or Jimi or whoever, but you won't play like them anyway.

lars

on the other hand, I've heard many a recording by Jimi, EC, Kurt Cobain, etc, where they're not using their usual guitars, yet it still sounds like them (a great one is Luther Allison on youtube, changing guitars mid-song from a strat to a gibson flying v and still coming out sounding the same, lol, or Robbie Robertson diving in to fill the end of EC's solo on The Band's Last Waltz when EC's strap comes off). So either way, the guitar does not maketh the sound.

Yamaha Pacifica's are pretty well-built and decent quitars for the price (in the UK, I've no idea of US prices, sorry). you also might wanna try an Epiphone or Gibson SG or Les Paul - I'm sure I saw an SG at around that price range in the sale on musiciansfriend last night when looking at resonators. Both will ably do the job you've outlined, look darn kewl, hold their price pretty well and look more 'professional' to friends than the yamaha (if you careabout that kinda thing, personally I don''t, but each to their own). its also very easy to upgrade the pickups on either guitar as you develop and want to refine your individual tone a bit further. sorry if these are out of your price range, I'm guesstimating based on UK prices and the little I know of US prices for the same gear.

hth

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

on the other hand, I've heard many a recording by Jimi, EC, Kurt Cobain, etc, where they're not using their usual guitars, yet it still sounds like them (a great one is Luther Allison on youtube, changing guitars mid-song from a strat to a gibson flying v and still coming out sounding the same, lol, or Robbie Robertson diving in to fill the end of EC's solo on The Band's Last Waltz when EC's strap comes off). So either way, the guitar does not maketh the sound.

Exactly my point - and yes 8) , the classic scene with RR and EC, both on strats - each with his unique sound. [BTW - speaking of Robertson - I *think* that much of the harmonics stuff which is kinda his signature, requires a single coil Fender guitar - he wouldn't sound the same on a Les Paul - maybe]

lars

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Exactly my point - and yes 8) , the classic scene with RR and EC, both on strats - each with his unique sound. [BTW - speaking of Robertson - I *think* that much of the harmonics stuff which is kinda his signature, requires a single coil Fender guitar - he wouldn't sound the same on a Les Paul - maybe]

lars

+1 for both of you.

Lars: Robertson might still sound pretty close to himself on a LP. Knopfler still sounds like Knofpler on a 335, and that seems like it should be a big change from his oh-so-obvious Strat-centric playing -- but it's not. Many like to say tone comes from the fingers first. I agree. I can see how a lot of the timbre may come directly from how we fret through the duration of the note -- dynamic pressure, finger fleshiness, tendencies to choke/sustain, bend and vib styles ..., as well as the more obvious picking hand string attack complexities. In Robertson's case, as he's got a penchant for thinner, more harmonic-laden tones, he'd probably adjust the LP, EQ and amp in that direction anyway. Adding that to his playing nuances ...

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member

I'd recommend one of these if you are going for the punk rock/alternative sound.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Jagmaster-Electric-Guitar-102809159-i1150688.gc

You may want to change the strings when you get it though. 9's on a 24" neck seems a little to light to me. However the whole garage rock sound will be more in the amp than the guitar anyway.

Here's a demo of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygOL-fh9AoU

Crap, now I'm gassing for one for myself.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

So, infamous16, what model Ibanez do you have that's way too metal?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@infamous16)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Uh its a RG2EX2 (i think)

The pickups are basically distorted by itself, The neck seems way different in width compared to other guitars i have played, Huge frets (some people like it, I dont really), and then there is some more minor things that I don't really like about it, but those are just kinda pet peeves.

Really what I hate those most about it, it has "EMG Designed" PASSIVE pickups. EMG's are the shit for metal but these are designed by ibanez to be like EMG's, and they arent. And they are passive so there is no reason for them to be designed to be like emg's.

Im thinking of selling it to a guitar store (guitar center, or maybe a local shop) with its hardshell case (depending on how much they would give me for it) and just using that money to buy a new guitar.

If I can get the money, should I go for a Fender Strat (just the standard one) or a Epiphone les paul studio? This is mainly for just improvising whatever I want, playing rock and alternative tunes, and such.

Otherwise, should I just pick up a yamaha pacifica for the cheaper choice? I dont think I want a Squeir, just because i would know its just a downgraded version of the strat, XD.

thanks

blah.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Uh its a RG2EX2 (i think)

The pickups are basically distorted by itself, The neck seems way different in width compared to other guitars i have played, Huge frets (some people like it, I dont really), and then there is some more minor things that I don't really like about it, but those are just kinda pet peeves.

Really what I hate those most about it, it has "EMG Designed" PASSIVE pickups. EMG's are the poop for metal but these are designed by ibanez to be like EMG's, and they arent. And they are passive so there is no reason for them to be designed to be like emg's.

Im thinking of selling it to a guitar store (guitar center, or maybe a local shop) with its hardshell case (depending on how much they would give me for it) and just using that money to buy a new guitar.

If I can get the money, should I go for a Fender Strat (just the standard one) or a Epiphone les paul studio? This is mainly for just improvising whatever I want, playing rock and alternative tunes, and such.

Otherwise, should I just pick up a yamaha pacifica for the cheaper choice? I dont think I want a Squeir, just because i would know its just a downgraded version of the strat, XD.

thanks

Good luck getting anything at all from GC. They'll try to offer you something like $50-$75 and turn around and sell it for $200. Well, that's my jaded take on it based on experience at our local GC.

I'm not sure I've ever played EMG Passives or could identify their tone. From what I understand, the clean tone is too harsh then? You could change the pick-ups. I've done that on a few guitars. You could get used stock pickups out of like an Epi LP or something and get milder ones. Still though, you'd have that neck to deal with. If you truly don't like it, than not worth going the pickup route.

Regardless what happens with the old one, I would not get a new one online. Most people like those Ibanez necks. (I sure do.) You've obviously got a concept for yourself on what feels good or bad, so start with that. Try some LPs (my favorite), Strats, Teles, other brands, etc.

Good Luck in your search!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If you want a cheaper choice, the Yamaha Pacifica's a pretty decent guitar - several people on this forum have had nice things to say about them, and the one I tried (belonged to Darth Ordinary) felt and sounded fine to me.

In my experience, Squier Guitars are pretty well made - I had a Squier Strat about 4 years or so ago as a starter electric (got it out of my step-daughter's catalogue, it was the only way I could afford a guitar at the time!) which was well put together and sounded fine. Later, I was looking to buy a Telecaster - tried a few, ended up with a Squier Custom Tele because it actually felt and sounded better than the Fenders the shop had in stock. I've played several Squiers other than my own and always found them to be good value for money. OK, I've upgraded now - found a MIM Tele which I love - but I wouldn't part with the Squier - it's set up for slide now, kept in open G.

For some strange reason, people do tend to look down on Squiers as being inferior copies of Fenders - but no-one seems to denigrate Epiphone guitars in the same way. One of life's little mysteries, that.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Lars: Robertson might still sound pretty close to himself on a LP. Knopfler still sounds like Knofpler on a 335, and that seems like it should be a big change from his oh-so-obvious Strat-centric playing -- but it's not. Many like to say tone comes from the fingers first. I agree. I can see how a lot of the timbre may come directly from how we fret through the duration of the note -- dynamic pressure, finger fleshiness, tendencies to choke/sustain, bend and vib styles ..., as well as the more obvious picking hand string attack complexities. In Robertson's case, as he's got a penchant for thinner, more harmonic-laden tones, he'd probably adjust the LP, EQ and amp in that direction anyway. Adding that to his playing nuances ...

Yes - probably so - but to couch the discussion further on an abstract level. Let say we can place all music/ playing styles the way we're used to hear them within one circle, and all different guitars within another circle - would they overlap completely? - I don't think so, close maybe. Most music can be played on most guitars, and many guitars are versatile enough to be used in many kinds of music. But you wouldn't play normal sounding death metal (whatever that may be) on a resonator, twangy country lead guitar would sound different on a ... LP, and maybe even SRV would struggle on a few of the fast runs on a big jazz box... etc.

I may well be mistaken, but I have always thought RR's overtone-playing was connected to (Fender) single coils - listen to the great harmonics here ('It makes no difference' from Last Waltz) http://youtube.com/watch?v=nJXc0NRCmRQ - would it be possible to achieve that sound from humbuckers?

Then again - anyone who would play death metal on a resonator would probably be considered an inovator

I have nothing further ;-)

lars

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Really what I hate those most about it, it has "EMG Designed" PASSIVE pickups. EMG's are the poop for metal but these are designed by ibanez to be like EMG's, and they arent. And they are passive so there is no reason for them to be designed to be like emg's.
No, those "EMG Designed" passive pickups are Chinese made pickups built to EMG specs and sold by EMG. Check out EMG's website. They sell a ton of them to manufacturers of cheap guitars.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

For some strange reason, people do tend to look down on Squiers as being inferior copies of Fenders - but no-one seems to denigrate Epiphone guitars in the same way. One of life's little mysteries, that.
Vic

Vic, in my opinion I think people place most Epiphone's on par with Fender's Mexican guitars, not Squier. I think it has to do with the fact that the Epiphone name has a long history with their own lineup of guitars. Squier doesn't.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Epi's ... overpriced for what you get. I'd rather grab a Schecter or ESP if I'm looking to pick up an import guitar.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2