Clear all

Novax Fanned Fret Guitar

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Has anybody tried one of the Novax fanned fret guitars? http://www.novaxguitars.com/ If so what benefits do you find from using it? Is it all just ergonomic?

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

That's really interesting looking! Although, I think you're right that it's probably more of an ergonomic thing than anything else. Made me think of those ergonomically correct keyboards. Also made me wonder how long it would take to get used to it. And, how difficult would it be switching between it and a standard fretboard?

Still interesting, though!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I also found it an interesting site. I should imagine they'd take a bit of getting used to, especially near the nut and I'd also imagine muscle memory would play a part in getting used to one - your fingers would want to go where they "normally" go, you'd have to watch what you're doing! Then again, if you played one and liked it, you might find it difficult to go back to the normal layout!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Ok, I'm going to answer my own question. It seems (after more digging around on the Novax site) that the fanned frets are for improved intonation purposes and for better sound quality. http://www.novaxguitars.com/info/fannedfret.html

Vic, yes, I wonder about that too. How easy would it be to go back and forth? Though I suppose if you tried and really liked it maybe you'd have no need to go back? I got curious about these guitars because on my current favourite guitar players uses an 8 string Novax (Charlie Hunter). He doesn't seem to use anything but one of these fanned fret instruments.

Those guitars sure are pricy though ($2K+). In my digging more through the site I did find that they have necks with fanned frets for sale that will fit Strat / Tele bodies. It wouldn't be too hard to buy one and fit it to a body to try for less money. Though it would still be a fair bit of cash -$600 for the neck and maybe $300-$400 for the transplant recipient. I'm not sure that I want to go down this path at least not now.

I'd still be interested in hearing from anyone who's used one of these.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Well you could put one of those necks on a $99 SX from Rondo.net and upgrade the PUPS and Pots for not too much more.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@8stringguitarist)

I came across your question while googling fanned fret guitar. I then registered with guitar noise online just so I could answer your question. I'm a 55 yr. old guitar player who has been playing (mostly jazz) since I was 11. I got my 1st fanned fret guitar approx. one month ago. The one word answer to your question of why fanned frets is of course "intonation". My own opinion is, now that there is no longer a patent fee to use the novax system, all fretted f.b. will someday use the novax system and regular fretted boards will become obsolete (just like the short scale necks of pre 18th c. violins). Again, thats just my own humble opinion.
thx.Dave

ReplyQuote