12 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@dagwood)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Here's a "New"? way of playing guitar.

LINK

I've watched this a few times. Its a beautiful piece of music, but OMG I can't imagine the hours and hours he must've spent figuring it all out. :shock: :shock:

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

Kr1s
(@kr1s)
Trusted Member

That's very good but I often wounder if people who play in these umm unorthadox styles can actually play guitar?

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

That's very good but I often wounder if people who play in these umm unorthadox styles can actually play guitar?

If you can get music that good out of it playing that particular style, why worry about "normal" guitar playing? I've seen a couple of different guys play like this now - odds are, though, they probably started out the same way as everyone else, and developed this style for whatever reason. It's possible, though, that they worked it out from basic principles - look at Jeff Healy, for instance; nobody told him you couldn't play guitar like that, so he just did it his way.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q3vE_whyhOQ

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I'm not sure if I care or not. He's really good.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

Erik is getting pretty famous now.
I can't imagine the hours and hours he must've spent figuring it all out

He is actually improvising when he is lap tapping

http://www.myspace.com/erikrain

check out his songs when he plays guitar in standard posture. He's what they call "a musical genious"

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Erik is getting pretty famous now.
I can't imagine the hours and hours he must've spent figuring it all out

He is actually improvising when he is lap tapping

http://www.myspace.com/erikrain

check out his songs when he plays guitar in standard posture. He's what they call "a musical genious"

WOW!!! I don't think I'm capable of dedicating my every waking minute to it as he must surely do/has. He is awesome though, (doing his own thing and making beautiful music).

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I don't think I'm capable of dedicating my every waking minute to it as he must surely do/has.
Some things are just more natural to some than to others.

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

I asked him if he could build chords and he said "whats a chord" half joking but half not, he just knows where the sound he wants is. His stuff in standard position is better then the lap tapping I think, some of those videos on his myspace are incredible.

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I wonder if he went through the "Am I left handed or right handed?" thing. :lol:

That was honestly fantastic, I thought. :)

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

YEah...I remember teaching him how to do that. He didn't get it right away. :lol: So I decided to show him how easy it was by playing with my eyes closed. :wink:

My oh my, that kid is talented.

Now, if I can only get myself to play half a song without missing a chord...Hmmm...anyone know that guys number? Maybe he gives lessons???

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member

My that's awesome.

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

I, too have seen that guy before. I never tire of watching him.

Simply amazing.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote