Clear all

Oh wow . . . dire straits . . .

14 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Sorry if this is off topic, but I had to share this! I've been making a point of exploring a few "classic" artists recently and Mr. Knopfler came up on my list. Well, tonight ladies and gentlemen, I found "Brothers in Arms". Absolutely beautiful.
After listening to a live performance Knopfler does, I've found a backing track for it, plugged my Les Paul with both pups selected into my EVJ with the lead tone just on break up and I am enjoying jamming along to this track to the point of grinning from ear to ear! :D

I can't believe I never came across the track before. :shock: :)

Rob

If something's not worth doing it's worth forgetting about.
Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five
http://www.youtube.com/yashicamatonline

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Well, let's hear it! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@fredramsey)
Estimable Member

What's even wilder is that Mr. Knopfler does NOT use a pick...

:shock:

Learning requires a willingness to be bad at something for awhile.

ReplyQuote
(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member

I don't mean to hijack this thread (and I agree that this song is simply amazing!), but where, exactly, does one find a backing track for a song like this? I can create them myself if I need to, but I'm not handy at recording, so it's very time-consuming. Is there a place to download/purchase quality backing tracks? I mean, backing tracks of good music, of course, like this one! :)

Thanks!
Jersey Jack

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Yasmhicamat, once you go away from popular songs, you will find some quite amaizing unknown gems from Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler. Brothers In Arms, the song, is one of my favorites. Your Latest Trick is also on that CD. I've got the TAB around here somewhere that turns that sax intro (and other parts) into guitar.

Oh, and any chance in giving up the location of the backing track? (assuming you found it online?) :D

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Eat your heart out: http://www.guitarbt.com 8)

ReplyQuote
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member

I've never heard the song 'Brothers in Arms', but the opening riff of 'Money for Nothing' gives me chills every time I hear it.

Dan

ReplyQuote
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Bullseye. My number one choice too. 8) Only thing I find a little dissapointing is the lack of less mainstream British rock, such as Franz Ferdinand, Kaiser Chiefs etc. - ok not in the same league as folks like the aforementioned Dire Straits, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Clapton etc. though.

Rob

If something's not worth doing it's worth forgetting about.
Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five
http://www.youtube.com/yashicamatonline

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Be sure to check out David Hodge's latest intermediate-level lesson on the GN home page: Dire Straits "Walk of Life." Nice and simple, no solo, but he incorporates the keyboard melody into the guitar arrangement. You can probably jump straight to the tab and start playing, but the lesson is short and definitely worth a look.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Be sure to check out David Hodge's latest intermediate-level lesson on the GN home page: Dire Straits "Walk of Life." Nice and simple, no solo, but he incorporates the keyboard melody into the guitar arrangement. You can probably jump straight to the tab and start playing, but the lesson is short and definitely worth a look.

I should actually look at the home page more often - the desk-top shortcut I have takes me straight to the index. If it hadn't been for the newsletter I probably wouldn't have noticed that lesson till now - I'll be sure to check it out. Always been a big fan of Knopfler's.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I've never heard the song 'Brothers in Arms', but the opening riff of 'Money for Nothing' gives me chills every time I hear it.

Brothers In Arms is a lot slower and longer, but really powerful.

Here it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M9U1OU0MzU

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Yup! Found it. Thanks!

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member

RParker, thanks for the link! I really need to buy that cd.

Dan

ReplyQuote
(@jenny-b)
Estimable Member

All good, but..Its the live version of 'Telegraph Road' that does it for me.. epic song. Give it a spin.. :)

ReplyQuote