Clear all

Old Gibson Value

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@brentb)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have a J45 bought used and rather old then (1967) It is in fair condition, serial number is faded. Any idea on it's value (other than to me, as it is a life-long friend) Just curious!

Thanks,

Brent

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

(link at top of page.)
contact this guy, other info below may be helpful
http://www.provide.net/~cfh/gibson.html#serial

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

If a guitar's really valuable, it should be appraised by a professional, who needs to understand why you want it appraised. Coming up with an insurance replacement price is a different thing from the guy giving you a price he'd buy it for (which obviously is less than it'd sell for at retail.) If you're just curious, the best thing is to look for completed auctions of similar guitars in similar condition.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Contaact George Gruhn at Gruhn Guitars in Nashville Tn. IIRC he can give you a fair estimate with pictures if you send them or E-mail them for about $20.00. This estimate is good for homeowners insurance and such. At least you would know what you have.

I love those old Gibsons, I had a J-45 for years and really liked it! I DO understand why you want to hold onto it! 8)

http://www.gruhn.com/

Oops, I guess his price has gone up! $50.00, but no one usually argues with him or his appraisals. VERY well-respected, I've dealt with him a couple of times and have never been disappointed.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

+1 on Mr. Gruhn. I meant to recommend him in my post above, got distracted and forgot.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

If you want to send it to Gruhn Guitars for a personal visit, I'll gladly babysit it for you. :D

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Yeah...that Gibson FB-12? I saw one at a NYC store for $7500 that was in pretty knocked up shape! I'm guessing the one I posted a pic for should be around that! Geez, when I bought it (with a cloth case for $200) a Corvette cost $3500!!!!

Aaaaaah!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote