Notifications
Clear all

Only my opinion- DMB was crap

29 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I haven't listened to much to the newest Dave Matthews album but I have to say that Everyday is my favorite album, and his solo project and Busted Stuff was great, so I have to disagree with you.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@drink2much)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

did you listen to before these crowded streets or crash? or live at red rocks or live at luthier collage or under the table and dreaming, I liked his solo stuff more than the others you mentioned, I loved the everyday video, what a concept, walk around and hug strangers

There are about five things to write songs about: I'm leaving you. You're leaving me. I want you. You don't want me. I believe in something. Five subjects, and twelve notes. For all that, we musicians do pretty well.
Elvis Costello- Esquire, NOV 03

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

did you listen to before these crowded streets or crash? or live at red rocks or live at luthier collage or under the table and dreaming, I liked his solo stuff more than the others you mentioned, I loved the everyday video, what a concept, walk around and hug strangers

Yes to all. My wife has EVERY CD, you name it, she has it. If not, It's in the mail! :lol:

Live with Tim Reynolds is among my favorites.

Just goes to show (as you said “college”) college shows probably don't pay a lot. Corporate? Hearing them at Home Depot….. Come on now, everyone wants to be heard. You wouldn't have posted this yourself if you didn't want to be heard. I know I would want my music to be heard everywhere and anywhere, “corporate”? No, just want my music out there.

Besides, companies are asking THEM to play their music, would you reject that knowing that there would be less people hearing you? I think not.

ReplyQuote
(@drink2much)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

question still stands favoriet cd/track before everyday or after I think thats where it started to go down hill.

look we could discuss till were blue, at a certain point you become part of the machine, would you sell your songs, even better would you write your songs if I told you what to say or play? if you would, are they still your songs?

There are about five things to write songs about: I'm leaving you. You're leaving me. I want you. You don't want me. I believe in something. Five subjects, and twelve notes. For all that, we musicians do pretty well.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

question still stands favoriet cd/track before everyday or after I think thats where it started to go down hill.

look we could discuss till were blue, at a certain point you become part of the machine, would you sell your songs, even better would you write your songs if I told you what to say or play? if you would, are they still your songs?

LMAO! Sorry my friend, but that is not the case with DMB.

Sorry you caught a "bad" show. Everyone has their own opinions and I respect them, but you are going over the deep end now.

ReplyQuote
(@drink2much)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well my frien it seems that we agree... we will agree to disagree, im cool with that like I said I love Dave, listening to him right now, I bet the people at red rocks right now are having a GREAT show

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

My opinions ( I simply have them and am NOT entitled to them, that's just some nonsense people repeat without thinking. So stop saying it, as it sounds as stupid and annoying as a child saying "No fair." Have some balls, have an opinion and be done with it.):

I don't go looking for DMB's music, but get exposed to his work on the radio (WXPN and Sirius): His new, airplayed work does not equal the airplayed material from 'Under the Table' or 'Crash' . Period.

Selling out is a dated, irrelevant concept. Let go of it. Anyone who can make money doing something they love should do it. Should one discover one likes making money as much or more, then it could be time for a change of plans. In any case, plenty of great music -- as well as the crap -- has been made in the pursuit of $$$. BTW, it is far more likely that the newness and uniqueness of an artist gets assimilated over time, and then that talent is no longer seems new and unique. Very few musicians have more than a few things to say. Eventually, most run their course and will pretty much just rehash what they know -- greats included.

Tim may be biased, but the nature of the Beatles' music changed far more dramatically than did that of U2. Bowie's ch-ch-changes are/were more far reaching than U2's, as well.

Jeez, I'm cranky tonight.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Selling out is a dated, irrelevant concept. Let go of it. Anyone who can make money doing something they love should do it. Should one discover one likes making money as much or more, then it could be time for a change of plans. In any case, plenty of great music -- as well as the crap -- has been made in the pursuit of $$$. BTW, it is far more likely that the newness and uniqueness of an artist gets assimilated over time, and then that talent is no longer seems new and unique. Very few musicians have more than a few things to say. Eventually, most run their course and will pretty much just rehash what they know -- greats included.

AMEN.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Greg,

I'll post my real opinion for free. I'll modify mine so it agrees with yours for $5.

Paypal is fine.

:lol:

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Working on a web biz model, Nick. Thinking of calling it iOpinions -- $0.99 a dose. Still must settle on non-standard opinion compression scheme and first launch colors of little appliance to hold 2000 hours of opinions -- Considering black/white or gray. Want in?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

That's a great idea. I'm in.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Got a business model I'm working out, Nick. Thinking of calling it iOpinions -- $0.99 a dose. Want in?

You mean you will PAY us .99 to read your opinion? WOAH that is awsome. I'll take, humm, 1,000,000 doses please.. heh

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Concept develops (edits above)

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

My opinions ( I simply have them and am NOT entitled to them, that's just some nonsense people repeat without thinking. So stop saying it, as it sounds as stupid and annoying as a child saying "No fair." Have some balls, have an opinion and be done with it.):

I don't go looking for DMB's music, but get exposed to his work on the radio (WXPN and Sirius): His new, airplayed work does not equal the airplayed material from 'Under the Table' or 'Crash' . Period.

Tim may be biased, but the nature of the Beatles' music changed far more dramatically than did that of U2. Bowie's ch-ch-changes are/were more far reaching than U2's, as well.

Jeez, I'm cranky tonight.

Frankly, I think Bowie's probably changed even more than the Beatles' did but he had the chance to hang in there longer. He never broke up. The advantage of being a solo artist, I suppose. :twisted:

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2