Clear all

Opinion on buying 1st acoustic

10 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@geonjules)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Been playing electric for a few months now and interested in getting a acoustic. I only have around $100 or so to play with. Should I go with the Ibanez JamPack IJV50, or do you have a better suggestion for the money? I saw an Ephiphone for $100 also. Whatta yall think?

" Thoughts that pay homage to frustration will attract frustration. When you say or think theres nothing I can do,my life has spun out of control,and I'm trapped,thats what you will attract ".

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

play a bunch until you find one that doesn't feel like junk. at 100, many guitars have defects, and there's going to be inconsistencies even within the same model. whatever you choose, make sure it's playable at every fret, the bindings look solid, and it feels solid. try to find one with a little heft to it. i'd hit the pawn shops and used guitars, too. a 100 dollar guitar can be great, or it can completely suck.

ReplyQuote
(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member

play a bunch until you find one that doesn't feel like junk. at 100, many guitars have defects, and there's going to be inconsistencies even within the same model. whatever you choose, make sure it's playable at every fret, the bindings look solid, and it feels solid. try to find one with a little heft to it. i'd hit the pawn shops and used guitars, too. a 100 dollar guitar can be great, or it can completely suck.

Roger that. I found mine in a pawn shop, nearly new, with a Levy's leather strap and a gig bag, for roughly half of its retail price. Other than the action being a tad high, I love it. Sturdy, well-made, clean and loud sound; I'd buy another one.

"Yes and an old guitar is all that he can afford,
when he gets up under the lights to play his thing..."-Dire Straits
http://www.myspace.com/misterpete42

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Been playing electric for a few months now and interested in getting a acoustic. I only have around $100 or so to play with. Should I go with the Ibanez JamPack IJV50, or do you have a better suggestion for the money? I saw an Ephiphone for $100 also. Whatta yall think?
Since you already play you may already have the starter instructional materials which come with the Jam paks. Thus able to get a little better guitar for your money then just pulling the guitar that is in tfhe box on top of the stack.

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member

I would ditto above and Jhengsman makes a good point. Buy used and try to get the most bang for your buck.

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

ReplyQuote
(@kaizer-szoza)
Estimable Member

I would put the 100 in a shoe somewhere and wait until you have about 250 more of those dollars, then get something decent. 350 you can get a pretty decent acoustic.

Nothing worse than playing a guitar that 2 months later you think sounds like crap and then you are looking to invest all over again.

Cheap guitars can also effect your enthusiasm. If you are not getting the sound you want it (even if you are using perfect technique) could be frustrating and you may give it up.

Pawn shops are an option and a good one, as long as, you keep a close eye for damage.

ReplyQuote
(@guitbusy)
Trusted Member

I have each of these guitars from musicians friend and they are surprisingly good, inexpensive guitars. The beauty is, there is little risk from musicians friend as you can send it back if it isn't right or you don't like it.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-RA100D-Dreadnought-Guitar?sku=511192

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-Dreadnought-Cutaway-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=519292

Older Newbie

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Best bet at that price is get something used. I'd say stay away from jampacks and just get a guitar, you may already have some of the stuff the jampack will include.

Eric

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

When it comes to acoustics i find its best to ignore the name on the headstock and just play them.I went shopping for a £300 ($600) acoustic for my son a few years ago and came home with a £100 no name guitar because it played and sounded better than anything I played that day for £300.

With electric guitars you usually get what you pay for due to the cheap components used but with acoustics theres less components and therefore less cheap components.

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I would put the 100 in a shoe somewhere and wait until you have about 250 more of those dollars, then get something decent. 350 you can get a pretty decent acoustic.
Nothing worse than playing a guitar that 2 months later you think sounds like crap and then you are looking to invest all over again.
Cheap guitars can also effect your enthusiasm.
Pawn shops are an option and a good one, as long as, you keep a close eye for damage.

I totally agree. save for a while longer and get the best you can.

#4491....

ReplyQuote